turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

GPS usage

Started by Bowguy, March 13, 2022, 06:18:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikejd

I use both. I love the onyx app but also carry a small garmin that I really do like. Half the size of my phone.
I will go pull it out shortly and get the model.

bobk

At the strong insistence of my wife  I carry a InReach .

Bowguy

Quote from: bobk on March 13, 2022, 01:53:22 PM
At the strong insistence of my wife  I carry a InReach .

Hmmm if I was still married I'd be trying not to be found bud. When they put a microphone on me at the wedding I though it was a lojak. It worried me

WV Flopper

I have a 64, compass and OnX. I prefer the OnX, but the compass is a dependable light backup to have in your best somewhere.

The 64 burns batteries just as fast as your Alpha. Ain't to sure why you wouldn't just use the Alpha, I would if I already had it.

Bowguy

Idk why you think an alpha burns batteries. Mine is used prob 3-4 hours at a clip multiple times a week, than I charge it.  A compass is obvious and in all my outdoor vests, bags, etc
Regarding the alpha as well, one,,  that handheld is pricey. Imagine if it gets lost. Two of it gets lost being I use it multiple times a week, and Im deaf in one ear, can't tell direction to catch my dogs I'd not be able to run until I got another. Three, if I ran the battery down again I'd not have it to run with. Very often I'll go straight from turkey hunting, running dogs, roosting, than maybe it needs charging. Tomo
I leave to hunt, hmmmm where's that gps? Oh yea on the charger still. As stated I typically use my phone. Or if a bird is roosted, count steps to a trail, prop a stick on tree so I trip over it in the dark. It works and basically I was just inquiring

ElkTurkMan

I am still using a garmin Oregon 450t.   

WV Flopper

If you are so dependent on your Alpha I would buy another. They don't cost that much.

Bowguy

If I buy another it'll be the 200 just because of the bigger screen. I don't need the rest. But the 200 is even pricier. I do eventually plan to buy another though and you could be onto something in that regard

WV Flopper

Get the 200i, it has in reach as well. Listed at 750$, probably get it for 50$ cheaper from Lion country or somewhere similar.

Bowguy

Garmin is pretty standard across the board. They don't change store to store. Only when garmin themselves allows it. That's why so many include extras with the purchase you def gave me a good idea though

Spurs

GAIA and downloaded maps is my go to.  Thought about a GPS, but I have so much saved onto externals for my phone that it would take a world of wonders to get it all transferred over. 
This year is going to suck!!!

WV Flopper

Just a thought. Garmin runs Glosnos, Russian satellites.

Hard to tell what may happen in the upcoming months with that.

lmbunch69

I carry both a real gps and my phone. I'll mark where I park my truck at with the gps and that's about it. Pretty much a fail safe if my phone dies I can at least find the truck if lost. App on my phone takes care of the rest.

mcw3734

Quote from: Dtrkyman on March 13, 2022, 11:56:17 AM
Phone, no reason for another piece of equipment that does the same thing.  Download maps, use in airplane mode to conserve battery.  Carry a small power bank that can charge my phone fully 2 times.

Compass for backup in the mountains.

Pretty much what Dtrkyman says. For offline mapping I use Gaia. Not as intuitive as OnX, but cheaper and more functional once you get the hang of it. Because I'm remote and out of cell service I do also carry an inReach Mini for emergency commo.

Sure wish there was a single device available that:
1. Has a large touchscreen to easily read and navigate through maps
2. Ran customizable mapping apps (OnX or Gaia or ?)
3. Has satellite communication for check-in and emergency
4. Ran on replaceable batteries for piece of mind

Tail Feathers

I think Garmin makes a GPS that does texting via satellite connection.  I don't know if it has replaceable batteries tho.
I carry a compass and usually use my cell phone for mapping when it works.  I do have an ancient Magellan GPS that still works but I rarely carry it.  It's kind of heavy.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!