turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Black Hills of Sodak

Started by ccoxwell, March 08, 2022, 09:03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

762hunter

No need to be rude TR69, this forum has been full of help and a great place for turkey talk for quite some time.  I get not giving out your secret honey hole but it's not like the huge Black Hills of S Dakota are a secret.  You can get upset with the person that responds with an exact location but for the original poster asking a simple question is just rude and I don't think this site is here for rudeness.
Good luck on your trip, I'll be out there a week or 2 ahead of you and will help (via PM) if I can.
Till then Gobble Gobble everybody

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: TurkeyReaper69 on March 08, 2022, 09:10:21 PM
I would hunt in the State park if I were you, maybe even kill your self  a Bison while your at it.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Kygobblergetter on March 08, 2022, 11:38:06 PM
There seem to be pockets with lots of birds and a lot of land without birds. A lot may disagree but riding roads using a coyote call or loud box call can be a very effective way to locate birds. Cover some ground and you should have some luck.

Never hunted the Black Hills, but I have hunted out west. Based on my experiences, I would say this is spot on accurate advice. Cyberscouting is an effective tool, but nothing beats feet, or in this case, tires on the ground. If you can, get there a day or 2 early and scout hard. Best of luck!!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

SD_smith

I heard that if you see one within the first 200 yards inside the state park it's fair game

bwhana

Quote from: SD_smith on March 10, 2022, 07:57:22 PM
I heard that if you see one within the first 200 yards inside the state park it's fair game

A blind and decoys work great at the pond by the visitor's center when they come to get water!  Just be sure to drive a Subaru, wear birkenstocks, and have a camera with a giant telephoto lense sticking out, and the people will just assume you are a standard bird watcher!

fallhnt

I requested a "Post up your honey hole" section when OG was asking for ideas. Hang in there,we are trying to make it as easy as possible to turkey hunt.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

GobbleNut

All this talk about the Black Hills (and some other places) always makes me end up wondering how many folks on this site actually go there to hunt?  ...Just a rhetorical question that enters my wandering mind...   :)

tbowers

I've hunted the BH in WY and SD the last two years. I have a ton of pins on where birds are, and were they arent. And this year it could be completely different- turkeys, especially Merriums roam a ton. I put almost no stake in where I found birds the year prior, so in that regard I would say cyber scouting is mainly a waste of time. I'm no expert but coming from WI, I was on birds within hours of arriving both years. its not rocket science, and in my experience they are WAY easier to at least locate then a Eastern.

TurkeyReaper69

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 11, 2022, 08:09:39 AM
All this talk about the Black Hills (and some other places) always makes me end up wondering how many folks on this site actually go there to hunt?  ...Just a rhetorical question that enters my wandering mind...   :)
It seems as if it's almost a right of passage for any traveling turkey hunter to hit the black hills of SD at least once. Or for that matter anyone just wanting to hunt merriams, BH of SD is usually quick to pop into their minds. That or the famed NW corner of Nebraska that I see 74 Facebook posts a day about. There are 2 fellas (they'll know who they are if they see this post) who I'm now convinced work for the Chadron dept of tourism. I have yet to hunt BH of SD, I've hunted the prairie as well as the BH of WY, but I'll need to at some point stop through the SD Black Hills to be see what it's all about.

eggshell

I could use GPS coordinates to some gobbling SD Black Hills birds about May 15th, 2022. I hope that isn't a stupid question and someone can help me.  :OGturkeyhead: Trench helmet on (check), kevlar vest (check), Steel toed boots (check), ear plugs (check), scheduled counseling session for emotional trauma (check)   :funnyturkey:

aaron

Quote from: eggshell on March 13, 2022, 08:04:54 AM
I could use GPS coordinates to some gobbling SD Black Hills birds about May 15th, 2022. I hope that isn't a stupid question and someone can help me.  :OGturkeyhead: Trench helmet on (check), kevlar vest (check), Steel toed boots (check), ear plugs (check), scheduled counseling session for emotional trauma (check)   :funnyturkey:

Eggshell aren't you a fellow Ohio guy?   I'll be returning  from the black hills may 14th.

eggshell

Eggshell aren't you a fellow Ohio guy?   I'll be returning  from the black hills may 14th.
[/quote]

Yup I'm southern Ohio, Ross County bred and born. I will be in SD by the 13th or 14th and getting in the Black Hills on the 15th. I have a daughter that lives in Pierre and we'll stop there first. Been out there a bunch but never hunted. This will be my first time hunting the BH. The post was meant to be in fun and sarcasm, but I am hunting.

Fdept56

Quote from: TurkeyReaper69 on March 13, 2022, 03:51:31 AM
Quote from: GobbleNut on March 11, 2022, 08:09:39 AM
It seems as if it's almost a right of passage for any traveling turkey hunter to hit the black hills of SD at least once. Or for that matter anyone just wanting to hunt merriams, BH of SD is usually quick to pop into their minds. That or the famed NW corner of Nebraska that I see 74 Facebook posts a day about. There are 2 fellas (they'll know who they are if they see this post) who I'm now convinced work for the Chadron dept of tourism. I have yet to hunt BH of SD, I've hunted the prairie as well as the BH of WY, but I'll need to at some point stop through the SD Black Hills to be see what it's all about.
Chadron

Stoeger_bird

I'm going to be there on vaca with the family from May 20/27.  Convinced the wife to take family vacation in SD during turkey season lol! I will get one of the ones the wannabe youtubers missed trying to catch their hunt on video!
T.W.D.W.D.