turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Black Hills of Sodak

Started by ccoxwell, March 08, 2022, 09:03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ccoxwell

Hey guys, this is my first post so I may be asking to much, but me and a buddy are planning to head to the Black Hills in South Dakota at the end of may. I've been doing plenty of research on my own and planning on staying or camping just North of Custer at Custer State Park right by Sylvan Lake (Bringing a camper so the State Park is my only option). I'm super excited for the trip and getting that experience of hunting in the Black Hills. With there being so much accessible land to hunt though, I can not make my mind up of areas I want to hunt. Been looking at this map and dropping pins for hours and have realized I have close to or over 100 pins dropped all over the Black Hills and still have no idea where I want to start. Not asking for an exact location, just some general areas that are known for having turkeys over others. I'm from south MS and in college, so this trip is pretty expensive for a broke college student and just trying to get as much knowledge as I can to have a successful hunt. Any other information would also be greatly appreciated! Thanks, and good luck to everyone this turkey season!

TurkeyReaper69

I would hunt in the State park if I were you, maybe even kill your self  a Bison while your at it.

TurkeyReaper69

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,107520.0.html
How ironic lol I guess you didn't even bother to read a topic posted a few hours ago before posting this.
Likewise, I am a fellow college student in MS. I will be graduating this spring, likewise I will be off on my own turkey tours. I work a full time job to support my hunting addiction and lifestyle. Yet, I don't take the easy way out and ask for help to strangers on forums. And if I did, I especially wouldn't be asking as my first post on said forum. Sharing info with friends/family is fine in my book, just about everyone does it. But anyone who comments will be doing OP a disservice by sharing this info not only with OP but with the rest of the World Wide Web. Do yourself a favor dude, scout and get it done without anyones help to make yourself feel as if you earned it, and weren't given it. Keep E-Scouting and staring at maps, as I have been doing since June. Research tactics of Merriams hunting compared to Easterns, they are alot different IMO.
Good Luck,
sorry to be the dick head internet public land police

ccoxwell

Thank you for being honest and definitely will not be posting something like this again. I know how bad of an impact the web has had on the turkey population in many places and did not think it would hurt to ask but I understand where you're coming from and what you mean. I should have known better and apologize for web hunting. 

GobbleNut

Quote from: ccoxwell on March 08, 2022, 10:04:18 PM
Thank you for being honest and definitely will not be posting something like this again. I know how bad of an impact the web has had on the turkey population in many places and did not think it would hurt to ask but I understand where you're coming from and what you mean. I should have known better and apologize for web hunting.

:icon_thumright:  Apology accepted.  :)  You have not been around here long enough to understand the concerns a lot of us have with spreading information on hunting locations on forums, FaceBook, YouTube, and such.  Now that you understand the "unspoken rules" (that unfortunately are routinely broken), stick around and join in the conversations.  Although you have been somewhat scalded in your first post, we are mostly a pretty friendly bunch around here!   :) ;D

TurkeyReaper69

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 08, 2022, 10:21:18 PM
Quote from: ccoxwell on March 08, 2022, 10:04:18 PM

:icon_thumright:  Apology accepted.  :)  You have not been around here long enough to understand the concerns a lot of us have with spreading information on hunting locations on forums, FaceBook, YouTube, and such.  Now that you understand the "unspoken rules" (that unfortunately are routinely broken), stick around and join in the conversations.  Although you have been somewhat scalded in your first post, we are mostly a pretty friendly bunch around here!   :) ;D
Just as GobbleNut said, apology accpeted. If a member reaches out to you via PM and gives you a tip or two, more power to him. Just remember, the internet is forever. The real issue with spot sharing on a forum, or Facebook group in my opinion is the effect on the local hunters, folks planning on making a trip up there that season, or a routine traveler to the destination is who it really hurts. In this day and age if someone blasts information on a forum they are either incredibly naïve, or never planning on hunting said spot again and are selfish enough to jeopardize the integrity of the spot by sharing it with the world.

Kygobblergetter

Just a heads up. We hunted the black hills in late May a couple years ago and had a really hard time finding birds. There seem to be pockets with lots of birds and a lot of land without birds. A lot may disagree but riding roads using a coyote call or loud box call can be a very effective way to locate birds. Cover some ground and you should have some luck. And don't be afraid to knock on doors if you see birds on private. Seems people out there are pretty open to letting people hunt as long as you are friendly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bwhana

Crazy Horse park has the best hunting in the hills, but the landowners seem to be against it there for some reason, so make sure a buddy lets you out when no one is looking and you have a full ghillie on and a silencer on your gun or use a bow! No tags or bag limits on this particular park hunt.

Obvious jk, PM sent

Bolandstrutters

coyote howler and boots on the ground.  Don't bother with an owl hooter.  Elk bugling also gets them to shock gobble.  As said before, there is a lot of land that doesn't hold turkeys.  They are in isolated pockets throughout the entire forest.  Be prepared to get frustrated unless you find birds relatively quick.  Took us 3 days before we found them.  Its all worth it though.  Just driving around up there is a treat.  You'll see an amazing amount of wildlife.

Fdept56

BBR12

My advice is leave the camper at home. You can't be to broke if your gonna pull a camper 24+ hrs away. Throw a tent in the vehicle and\or stay in cheap motels. I'm from S. MS also and I've been up there a few times it's a long freaking way up there. I couldn't fathom pulling a camper it's bad enough in a SUV without a trailer.

RLAG

Quote from: Kygobblergetter on March 08, 2022, 11:38:06 PM
Just a heads up. We hunted the black hills in late May a couple years ago and had a really hard time finding birds. There seem to be pockets with lots of birds and a lot of land without birds. A lot may disagree but riding roads using a coyote call or loud box call can be a very effective way to locate birds. Cover some ground and you should have some luck. And don't be afraid to knock on doors if you see birds on private. Seems people out there are pretty open to letting people hunt as long as you are friendly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We hunted it last year 2nd week of May and it was exactly what kygobblergetter said. We just so happened to luck out and find the pocket the first evening bc a hen crossed the road while we were driving.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ccoxwell

Thanks everyone for the replies and tips. I've been a member for a little over a year and just haven't posted or said much until now. Usually just got on to read post or try to find some tips if I could not answer it myself. Definitely going to start replying and posting more. Once again thanks, and will let y'all know how it turns out. Hopefully have some pictures to post as well.

Crghss

Stick near fields or farms. Get out and hike, there are miles of trails. I easily put 4-6 miles on the boots each morning. Doesn't seem far till you go up and down those hills. I would camp in tent or park cabins. You'll be spending a lot on fuel too haul a camper. Check out Airbnb.

1st time I went place was dead, most things hadn't opened up yet. It a tourist location and things don't get started till after Memorial Day. Got a turkey.

2nd time was during Covid last spring. Place was a zoo. Everything was open and booked. S. Dakota was one of few states totally open so everyone headed they're to hang out and party. It was fun but no turkey, weather made it difficult.

PM me if you have questions.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

turkeyfool

We seem to get a lot of first, second, third posts being similar to this every year around this time. Not ripping on you. But I do have one piece of advice. If you stay near Custer, stay at the Rocket M
Motel. Tell Don I said hi