OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey Hunting and Gas Question?

Started by Wrangler95, March 07, 2022, 11:00:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wrangler95

I am pretty lucky to have all my hunting spots within 10 miles of my home.With the gas sitiuation,are any of you driving a pretty long distance to turkey hunt and how will it affect your hunting spots,will you just hunt some of your closer spots or will the price of gas not matter to you?
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

USMC0331

I'm Hunting regardless of gas price.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

turkeymanjim

Going hunting no matter what the gas prices are.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

grayfox

Yep I think most turkey hunters will still go regardless of gas prices. And I'm sure some would even take out a loan to get through the season If they didn't have the money. It's that important.

3bailey3

Going to use my wives 4 runner and instead of my gas drinking Tundra.

silvestris

For the most part, I am quitting.  Thanks Joe.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Sixes

It's just money. They print it every day

Dtrkyman

It will impact some, I am still going ahead with my plans but I may drive around in the areas I hunt a bit less?

When I hunt new areas I spend a few days driving all over he-- scouting, maybe not so much this year?

Kylongspur88

The private land I hunt is an hour and a half away so I might not make as many trips and just stick to the public land 15 minutes from my house where I cut my teeth on deer and turkey over 20 years ago. 

Tom007

I wait all year for this. These gas prices aren't going away anytime soon if ever. I'm hunting if I have to ride a bike.......

Treerooster

I would suspect that most guys on here are pretty die hard turkey hunters and it is going to take a lot to deter them. But everyone on here is just a drop in the bucket compared to all turkey hunters.

Seems a lot of new turkey hunters have come on lately and they very well could be influenced by gas prices. And who knows how high it can go...$4...$5...$7 a gallon???

I use to hit at least 4 or 5 (or more) states a year. I've slowed down a bit and usually just 3 now, 4 on a good year. Very high gas prices could affect me.

Neill_Prater

Most working age people, especially those with young families, have X number of dollars of disposable income. A doubling of gas prices will definitely cause many to modify plans. Yes, you can generally cut expenses in your everyday life, but the increase in fuel costs are going to have an effect 52 weeks a year, not just on the annual hunting trip. We're already experiencing near record inflation. Some people will suddenly find themselves on a much tighter budget. Where they choose to cut expenses, who knows?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

I'm going even  if I have to ride my horse or bike.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

GobbleNut

Doing some calculations, I believe I will drive roughly 4,000 miles this spring turkey hunting.  I think the difference in the cost of gas for that amount of driving will be about $300 to $400 from what it was previously.  That is not enough for me to panic over, especially when I consider the cost of everything else associated with the trips I am making.  The fact is that I could easily make up that difference by camping out or spending the night in my truck rather than paying for lodging along the way.  Ultimately, it is all a matter of priorities relative to cost for me.  My priority is turkey huntin'! 

From what I can tell, some folks on here will spend twice or three times that amount on pieces of wood that make turkey sounds.  Nothing wrong with that if that is your priority, but I have a hard time sympathizing with someone who complains about gas prices when they are doing that...   :angel9: