OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Thoughts on ebikes

Started by Gooserbat, February 27, 2022, 04:07:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gooserbat

Seriously thinking about getting one.  The more I travel out west and having a messed up foot/ankle I keep thinking it's a good idea.  After doing some research I understand that these are legally classified as bicycles in more states than not and if it's open to bicycle travel in such a state then an ebike is a legal form of travel.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

ChesterCopperpot

I've never wanted one, but I've still got decent legs and feet at this point and most the areas I hunt they wouldn't do me a whole lot of good anyhow. Think they'd be a tremendous advantage in the case you're describing, though. If it gets you where you need to be and you'd have had trouble or caused more damage to yourself on account of the foot and ankle I'd say it's definitely worth it. The whole work smarter, not harder mentality and as we age we better adopt hell out of that if we want to keep doing what we're doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fallhnt

50+ lbs. Drivetrain is suspect all the time. If your on old road,fire trails,maybe a cow pasture etc. they are worth while but so is a regular bike. Bike shop I buy from told me they carry Quiet Kat because a customer had a Rambo bike and Rambo wouldn't help them fix the problem but Quite Kat did. Shop only sold Trek at the time.I don't own a ebike but have no problem on my fat bike when I use it in the previously mentioned manner.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Tom007

Quote from: Gooserbat on February 27, 2022, 04:07:26 AM
Seriously thinking about getting one.  The more I travel out west and having a messed up foot/ankle I keep thinking it's a good idea.  After doing some research I understand that these are legally classified as bicycles in more states than not and if it's open to bicycle travel in such a state then an ebike is a legal form of travel.

NJ allows 750 watt or less E-bikes on WMA's and State hunting land. Weird rule, I thought watts only determine how long a charge you get?

Happy

Watts is the output of the motor. Can give more power and distance the higher the watts. And personally I am against them without a handicapped permit. And being fat and out of shape doesn't count as handicapped.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

randy6471

My wife and I both have ebikes and we ride them regularly. I don't use mine for hunting, but it definitely would give you easier access in some places. Due to their weight, they can sometimes be a problem in rough terrain, especially mud or sand. Fat tire bikes handle it better than road tires, but it can still be tricky.

There are 3 different classifications of ebikes based on top end speed and whether or not the bike has a throttle in addition to pedal assist. Some places use these classification to determine which bikes are allowed and usually if there is a restriction, it is limited to class 1 or 2 only. PM me if you need/want any other info.

2eagles

I talked to an Iowa game warden about the time I saw an ebike rider come up a 2-track into the parking lot. I asked if a ticket would be written. He said no, he thought it was ok. I was really surprised.

deerhunt1988

Rules and regulations vary by state and both federal and game and fish agencies. Just because it may not be classified as a motorized vehicle by state law, does not mean it is legal to use on public lands in that state. Pay very close attention to regulations. More agencies are starting to put restrictions on them as they become more popular. For example, here is the USFS's current stance:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/visit/e-bikes

Master Gobbie

Quote from: Gooserbat on February 27, 2022, 04:07:26 AM

One of the top manufacturers (either Quietkat, Rambo or Backou) had a useful link to all the states and their current regs on eBikes. And noted, that they are easing up restrictions on them.

I've tested my buddies Rad Rover 5, 750W rear hub motor bike, it was awesome but left a little to desire. After researching and reading reviews, I believe a guy should spend a little more and get a mid drive motor, especially for out west where we have mountains and that's what you're wanting them for.

Proverbs  3: 5-6

GobbleNut

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on February 27, 2022, 09:10:43 AM
Rules and regulations vary by state and both federal and game and fish agencies. Just because it may not be classified as a motorized vehicle by state law, does not mean it is legal to use on public lands in that state. Pay very close attention to regulations. More agencies are starting to put restrictions on them as they become more popular. For example, here is the USFS's current stance:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/visit/e-bikes

This... ^   I think as time goes by, the use of e-bikes is probably going to get more restrictive on public lands except in certain, regulated areas.  I have thought about looking into them myself, but I am hesitant because when I look at it from the hunting standpoint, I think the limitations override the benefits. 

However, if I had mobility problems, I would certainly evaluate getting one more seriously. I would research their use fully before making any decisions about it.  They are not an inexpensive investment, for sure. 

arkrem870

You can't use them behind gates on national forests/federal ground. I don't see much use for them on public lands at this time.

I do have one .....it's a high torque mid drive model and is very nice / powerful. It's definitely a time saver getting around
LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS

zelmo1

If it's legal, use it where it is needed. The older and more beat up I get, the lighter my gear gets and the more ergonomic too. I do not use one as I am mostly hunting in the woods. But if the need arises then I will get one to get to any hunting spot available

joeturkey

Hi have one it's a himiway and love it I can travel a lot on a full charge here in South Florida chasing Osceola

roosterstraw

I thought they were classified as motored vechicles based on the watts? Either way I would have one if I could use them on the public land where I hunt.

Greg Massey

If you want ebike, get you one... if it helps you enjoy turkey hunting. I feel your smart enough to know or find out if you can use it in certain area's..  Life is way to short... get you ebike ...