turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Thoughts on ebikes

Started by Gooserbat, February 27, 2022, 04:07:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howie g

I'll stick to my hover board for now ...

joey46

This could almost be a companion thread to the "Public Land Parking Area" thread.  I'll repeat - my 2022 philosophy is if I'm FIRST on a walk in trail and get passed by an e bike or pre-dawn jogger I'll keep going exactly where I intended and if we all end up in close proximity then "there you go".  I just applied for a quota hunt on an area (leave unnamed) that for the last 25 years or so has closed some interior roads to allow for quiet walk in access.  I have not been there for a while and don't know if they have opened them to the e bikers.  I wouldn't have bothered to apply if they have.   

Hook hanger

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on February 27, 2022, 11:03:46 PM
I have a Rambo and love it. I use it some , mostly on private . Its quieter than a 4 wheeler or atv 10fold. It does not spook game and if you dont pass someone, they dont even know you are there, but most of the time I dont like the hassel of dealing with unloading if , having to lock it to a tree and other small things. So Imostly walk. I do like having it if I come across places that I want to scout that is several miles back . I like the fact that I have a option at times if I choose it. Its nice sometimes when you are running late and need to make up time. Some haters gonna hate mainly because they dont have it in their budget to own one or dont really want to spend the money on a un needed piece of equiptment. Some feel its just not fair to ride one when they have to walk. As far as foot travel only , sad part is , we ALL own federal land through taxes. If you are using something that tears up trails , disturbs game or other people , is noisy and interferes with others hunts , then yes , they should not be allowed. A ebike does none of the above. If they are legal and you choose not to use one , that is your choice. In reality they are not much different than a mountain bike. It boils down to some people think its not fair but life aint fair. Ride your bike , walk , run or do whatever you want to do. In the end , just be happy we are still able to hunt and enjoy Gods creations. Let the haters pile on.
And to the guys who say lazy lazy lazy , kind of generalizing things huh? I can walk plenty but not like when I was 18. Years of jumping out of airplanes and humping 120 pound Ranger rucks kindsa catches up to you. As far as ruining turkey hunting. All I can do is laugh. Turkey hunting went down when people started using decoys and fans. Reminds me when old recurve bowhunters said the compound bow was ruining bowhunting. Compound bowhunters say the same about crossbows. Muzzle loader hunters said that when in line muzzle loaders came on the scene, that was ruining the sport. Face it guys , life is all about change and if you live long enough , you will realize NOTHING is forever and a constant state of change will continue after we are all dead and gone. Sorry for the long winded reply.

Its a motorized vehicle plain and simple. If an ebike is allowed why wouldn't an electric utility vehicle be allowed.

Bowguy

It'll very state to state and even area to area in that state. The bikes are def motorized. That'd make them illegal in lots places. If it only included combustible type gas motors that'd be ok but why not talk to some of the states you plan on using it to see what regulations regarding it are

strut

If I am walking, riding a mountain bike or e bike, I don't hunt were anyone has parked before my arrival. These are ethics that we buy into or don't.
Bikes don't even come into that equation. How someone approaches their hunt is up to them. As long as they are following the regulations.
Can someone please identify the problems that you are actually having with the ebike use? As opposed to "regular " bikes. Do they tear up the trails. I understand if a particular WMA is small and not feasible for more than foot traffic.

Where's the beef??

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Hook hanger on February 28, 2022, 10:17:49 AM
I have a Rambo and love it. I use it some , mostly on private . Its quieter than a 4 wheeler or atv 10fold. It does not spook game and if you dont pass someone, they dont even know you are there, but most of the time I dont like the hassel of dealing with unloading if , having to lock it to a tree and other small things. So Imostly walk. I do like having it if I come across places that I want to scout that is several miles back . I like the fact that I have a option at times if I choose it. Its nice sometimes when you are running late and need to make up time. Some haters gonna hate mainly because they dont have it in their budget to own one or dont really want to spend the money on a un needed piece of equiptment. Some feel its just not fair to ride one when they have to walk. As far as foot travel only , sad part is , we ALL own federal land through taxes. If you are using something that tears up trails , disturbs game or other people , is noisy and interferes with others hunts , then yes , they should not be allowed. A ebike does none of the above. If they are legal and you choose not to use one , that is your choice. In reality they are not much different than a mountain bike. It boils down to some people think its not fair but life aint fair. Ride your bike , walk , run or do whatever you want to do. In the end , just be happy we are still able to hunt and enjoy Gods creations. Let the haters pile on.
And to the guys who say lazy lazy lazy , kind of generalizing things huh? I can walk plenty but not like when I was 18. Years of jumping out of airplanes and humping 120 pound Ranger rucks kindsa catches up to you. As far as ruining turkey hunting. All I can do is laugh. Turkey hunting went down when people started using decoys and fans. Reminds me when old recurve bowhunters said the compound bow was ruining bowhunting. Compound bowhunters say the same about crossbows. Muzzle loader hunters said that when in line muzzle loaders came on the scene, that was ruining the sport. Face it guys , life is all about change and if you live long enough , you will realize NOTHING is forever and a constant state of change will continue after we are all dead and gone. Sorry for the long winded reply.

Its a motorized vehicle plain and simple. If an ebike is allowed why wouldn't an electric utility vehicle be allowed.

Did you miss the part of my post about if its Legal
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: strut on February 28, 2022, 10:40:22 AM
If I am walking, riding a mountain bike or e bike, I don't hunt were anyone has parked before my arrival. These are ethics that we buy into or don't.
Bikes don't even come into that equation. How someone approaches their hunt is up to them. As long as they are following the regulations.
Can someone please identify the problems that you are actually having with the ebike use? As opposed to "regular " bikes. Do they tear up the trails. I understand if a particular WMA is small and not feasible for more than foot traffic.

Where's the beef??

Exactly. There are always folks that will find reasons to complain. Most that dont like them have never even been around one. As far as parking behind someone and going in behind them , well thats just a b---h move and has nothing to do with a bike. I said it once and will say it again. Most of the haters would take a ebike if someone gave it to them and would use it. In my opinion , most of the haters cannot afford one or chooses not to budget for one. Jealousy is a bad human trait.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Sir-diealot

If I could I would get one but with the tailbone, shoulders, back and other things I could not even ride a motorized bike anymore. I think they are good for those that are no longer able to walk in far or ride a peddle bike. Sure wish I could still ride a peddle bike, used to ride all the time.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

NCL

Spitten and Drummen great post. As I am now in my 70's and approaching expiration date I have thought about the option of using an e-bike. The area I hunt is large, 45000 acres but only has limited access points so it would be used to get far away from the gates. The two factors that have stopped me are, one, not knowing which one would be a good trail option, two, the cost which actually goes back to the first point, in that I would hate to spend several thousand dollars to find I got the wrong one.

GobbleNut

I have no problem with folks using ebikes, and especially those individuals who are somehow limited in their ability to walk or hike due to injury or age.  Obviously, their use on private property is strictly up to those controlling that property, so that is a moot point. To me, the real issue is whether they will continue to be legal to use for things like hunting access on public lands as time goes by.  As has been stated, they are already illegal on some public lands, and as they become more popular, I have no doubt they will be outlawed, or at least more regulated, in more and more places and applications. 

The law of diminishing returns will probably apply as well.  There are only so many places where using an ebike is practical, as well as being an advantage. As more and more folks realize and utilize that advantage, shear numbers of people using them will offset their value.  Of course, there is also the possibility that their use will eventually be restricted to mobility-impaired folks as time goes by.

El Pavo Grande

We all have different opinions.  I agree with a few and don't think any motorized transportation of any sort should be legal for use on public roads with gates, dirt dams, or are designated foot travel only.  It defeats then purpose of a road being limited access.  The exception should be for handicap on handicap access roads only.  Main roads, I have no problem along with ATV and Side By Sides.  Would be useful on private land. 

ddturkeyhunter

Quote from: NCL on March 01, 2022, 11:42:29 AM

Spitten and Drummen great post. As I am now in my 70's and approaching expiration date I have thought about the option of using an e-bike. The area I hunt is large, 45000 acres but only has limited access points so it would be used to get far away from the gates. The two factors that have stopped me are, one, not knowing which one would be a good trail option, two, the cost which actually goes back to the first point, in that I would hate to spend several thousand dollars to find I got the wrong one.
I do have a e- bike I have a M2S both me and the wife got them for just plan riding. I am 66 now and got my bike a few year ago just for normal past time riding and maybe hunting. The reason we both got them was for pleasure riding and for on extra long rides if we got too tired we wanted a little extra help getting back home.  I have used mine for hunting in SOME places. I do have a big one with 4 1/2 inch tires. The only thing I would change is what ever brand or model you get it should be a step through model (or girls bike). The reason is unless you are real good on bikes(I wasn't bad when I was young not young any more) you can have problem on hills.  It would be much easer to just put your foot out when you get into trouble or run into a log. In just in the past two year that bike feel like it grew three feet taller and it's a long ways down when you tip over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk