OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Speaking of Meat Eater …

Started by davisd9, February 24, 2022, 05:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GobbleNut

Quote from: bigriverbum on February 28, 2022, 08:09:30 AM
have you seen steve chasing mountain goats or sheep in the mountains of alaska or british columbia? dude can put the work in. i think he'd carry your daddy's boots just fine

i don't think he does anything to put himself on a pedestal. if anything he takes every opportunity to highlight his faults and foibles. it's not his fault if dumb people idolize him.

would it be easier to be a writer and get to travel the world on comp'ed hunts rather than work a 9 to 5 and have to use vacation for your hobbies? sure. but i'm not going to unjustly hate on someone because they found a way around it

a lot of people 'round here think a lot of people are snowflakes, but i think they need to look in the mirror

Actually, I agree with this.  He is an accomplished hunter who, for the most part, portrays hunting in a positive light and does so by producing excellent videos,...at least the ones I have seen.  He also seems to be a really good guy. However, in discussing this specific topic...that is, selling outlandishly-priced turkey calls because you are a recognized "overall" hunter...well, in my book you need to have some "street cred" as a turkey hunter when you try to do that. 

In terms of his general hunting skills, he is probably right up there at the top of the list.  Same can be said about the quality of his shows. However, any knowledgeable turkey hunter that has watched his episodes on turkey hunting will likely come away thinking that he is pretty average at it.  On the other hand, I have no doubt he could be a really good turkey hunter if he put his mind to it.  It is obviously just not a priority for him.

Bottom line for me is that, if you want to sell me a high-priced item in any field, you best demonstrate to me that you have some level of credibility in that field to  begin with.  As a turkey hunter, Rinella really hasn't got much when it comes to hawking expensive turkey calls.

RiverBuck

I guess some on here don't have as big of issue with Steve selling out to a democratic gun grabbing group called The Chernin Group as me. Exploiting the hunting industry for profit isn't anything new but if your good then the money will come. Life isn't all about cash but taking what you built and handing the controlling stake of Meat Eater over to an Anti-Gun investment company isn't well thought out.

Steve is a excellent example of how cash can change a man in that his show doesn't have what it had in the beginning. If you can listen to his podcast it won't take long for him to dominate the conversation and step on who ever he's talking with to get his point across.

So... for those that do buy anything with the Meat Eater name on it, you are helping an anti-gun group finance their next move.

Zobo

I'm not very familiar with Steve Rinella. I don't watch other people hunt and I'm not big into podcasts. I don't hate him or like him and I'm certainly not jealous of him.
      All I know about him is he sells game cookbooks, but once undercooked bear meat and seriously sickened his diners with trichinosis. And, he is selling what appears to be a production pot call for $300 with his name on it but not hand signed and serialized to 1400 units.
     My first blush opinion to younger hunters or people newer to buying and collecting calls is caveat emptor. Im just chiming in with an admittedly superficial opinion on it, from a guy who's bought way too many turkey calls through the years.

Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

dzsmith

Quote from: Yoder409 on February 27, 2022, 02:03:32 PM
Soooooo............  Maybe I live under a rock.........  But these Rinella and Phelps guys.........

Who the heck are they ???

Why should I want a call they made ??
you shouldn't....
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Yoder409

Quote from: dzsmith on March 01, 2022, 12:05:58 AM
Quote from: Yoder409 on February 27, 2022, 02:03:32 PM
Soooooo............  Maybe I live under a rock.........  But these Rinella and Phelps guys.........

Who the heck are they ???

Why should I want a call they made ??
you shouldn't....

OK, then.   We'll call it good.    :icon_thumright:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Happy

I just people would realize that there is no man on this earth that deserves someone's blind loyalty. Not saying Steve is a horrible person but he has his faults just like everyone else in this world. I just prefer to keep my attention on the actual friends I have and interact with. There is a world outside of Instagram tweets and "following " someone. I have my hands full keeping track of my life and being who I want to be as opposed to trying to be like someone else.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

camotoe

Quote from: Happy on March 01, 2022, 06:43:04 AM
I just people would realize that there is no man on this earth that deserves someone's blind loyalty. Not saying Steve is a horrible person but he has his faults just like everyone else in this world. I just prefer to keep my attention on the actual friends I have and interact with. There is a world outside of Instagram tweets and "following " someone. I have my hands full keeping track of my life and being who I want to be as opposed to trying to be like someone else.
Listen to his brother Matt , totally different way of looking at the media craze of selling out the public .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy

I have listened to Matt, agree with some of the things he has to say as well. I don't "like", "follow" or subscribe to anyone. I do listen and read a lot but quite frankly every person would do well to be their own person and quite trying to be like every other popular figure out there. Every great person has their weaknesses and when you compound it with money and fame it becomes even more tricky. I don't envy anyone who is famous and I want no part of it. I just want to be the best me that I can be. Its saddening watching all the wannabes and copycats running around "following" someone.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

pdaugherty

I won't give a penny to anything involving Meateater. The Chernin group, Peter Chernin, owns the controlling shares of Meateater. They are as antigun, anti-hunting, and far left as you can get. Anyone that supports Meateater or their sponsors is giving their hard earned money to everything we should stand against. It is all about the all mighty dollar to some and Meateater showed that to be true when they sold out!

camotoe

Happy agree , be the best you can be . I know who came before me and I strive to do my best each day . Some times I fail but that's fine we are all human .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk