turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Speaking of Meat Eater …

Started by davisd9, February 24, 2022, 05:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranger

There's cowboys like Silvestris that have calls with more kills on them than those 1400 will see this season
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

zelmo1

I am quite certain that the calls are very good. But I will stick to my own calls that I sell for much much less. I like hand made and tuned calls. Good luck to them on their journey.

30_06

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on February 27, 2022, 11:51:01 AM
Quote from: 30_06 on February 27, 2022, 11:24:57 AM
Why have there been so many comments about it being a production call? Only 1,400 have been made, what is the threshold for custom and production?

Esse quam videri
Ask Buster Halford how long it will take him to turn 1,400 pots. The answer to your question is quite simply one is coming out of a CNC machine and one is being turned and tuned by hand. That's not to say there aren't good production calls made. There are plenty and this may very well be one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ahh, machine vs. hand gotcha. Super helpful.

Esse quam videri

Yoder409

Soooooo............  Maybe I live under a rock.........  But these Rinella and Phelps guys.........

Who the heck are they ???

Why should I want a call they made ??
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

paboxcall

Way better options for a CNC pot, and for a small fraction of the price.

Quote from: El Pavo Grande on February 27, 2022, 11:02:28 AM
They will probably sell all 1,400 because of the current infatuation level with hunting "celebrities".   Some of these guys could market and sell a turd in a box and many would trip all over themselves to buy it. 

Infatuation is right. Sums up today's "hoodie brigade."
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Zobo

Quote from: 30_06 on February 27, 2022, 12:51:16 PM
Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on February 27, 2022, 11:51:01 AM
Quote from: 30_06 on February 27, 2022, 11:24:57 AM
Why have there been so many comments about it being a production call? Only 1,400 have been made, what is the threshold for custom and production?

Esse quam videri
Ask Buster Halford how long it will take him to turn 1,400 pots. The answer to your question is quite simply one is coming out of a CNC machine and one is being turned and tuned by hand. That's not to say there aren't good production calls made. There are plenty and this may very well be one.

Ahh, machine vs. hand gotcha. Super helpful.

Esse quam videri

Your threshold question's a good one and in my opinion the cutoff should be at 100 units max. I mean how special can call #1267 be?  If you're going to serialize a run keep the number low or else split it up into smaller limited runs and change the product a bit.  I know Doug Camp had several signed low runs to 25, 50 and 100. I think those hit the mark to keep the products he offered more collectible worthy. Of course the thing needs to sound good too, that goes without saying. 1400 is waaaaay too many and further confirms our collective suspicions about this new offering.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

greencop01

I'm a retired Env Police Sgt Mass. and am on a modest pension and $299 is out of my league. It's ridiculous and Steve Rinella lost my following.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

RiverBuck

He lost mine years ago.
Steve is a great example of how money can change a man.

Lucky Goose

I turned off meateater and stopped listening to the podcast 4 years ago.  I could see where it was going, but even I didn't see this coming.  Also, just lies about what a custom call maker is and what makes a true custom call.

Now they're preying on the naïve, and there's a lot of them following that bunch.  Watch... and I bet these calls will sell out quicker than you think.

Gobble!

Surprised they aren't offering a $1k trumpet or a $200 tube call.

joey46

Quote from: Gobble! on February 27, 2022, 10:18:20 PM

That "darn free market".  Don't want it don't buy it.  I still think MeatEater is one of the better produced outdoor shows.  Enjoy most of them.

bigriverbum

Quote from: joey46 on February 28, 2022, 05:56:21 AM
Quote from: Gobble! on February 27, 2022, 10:18:20 PM

That "darn free market".  Don't want it don't buy it.  I still think MeatEater is one of the better produced outdoor shows.  Enjoy most of them.

yup. the obvious jealousy of many here is palpable. won't watch his show but spend 2 weeks on here whining about him lol.

steve's an very talented person, he just so happens to be a poor to middlin' turkey hunter.  who cares?

bigriverbum

Quote from: Ranger on February 27, 2022, 10:05:19 AM
Happy you said a lot when you said there's a lot of man worshipping going on these days. Exactly. Perspective has been lost entirely by some folks. Stevie couldn't tote my Granddaddy's work boots

have you seen steve chasing mountain goats or sheep in the mountains of alaska or british columbia? dude can put the work in. i think he'd carry your daddy's boots just fine

i don't think he does anything to put himself on a pedestal. if anything he takes every opportunity to highlight his faults. maybe some idiots idolize him? there's a lot of them in the world

camotoe

Here is the story

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: bigriverbum on February 28, 2022, 08:09:30 AM
have you seen steve chasing mountain goats or sheep in the mountains of alaska or british columbia? dude can put the work in. i think he'd carry your daddy's boots just fine

i don't think he does anything to put himself on a pedestal. if anything he takes every opportunity to highlight his faults and foibles. it's not his fault if dumb people idolize him.

would it be easier to be a writer and get to travel the world on comp'ed hunts rather than work a 9 to 5 and have to use vacation for your hobbies? sure. but i'm not going to unjustly hate on someone because they found a way around it

a lot of people 'round here think a lot of people are snowflakes, but i think they need to look in the mirror
I've said all along, I think he's an incredibly talented hunter and I used to really enjoy his show when he was leading meaningful conversation. Still does on occasion and I still enjoy those, but for the most part the show and podcast have become a frat boy circle jerk jock fest with no substance and no weight. It's just not worth anything. Kind of like a $300 production pot call from a mediocre outfit sold solely on kitsch. That call is kind of the perfect metaphor.