OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Speaking of Meat Eater …

Started by davisd9, February 24, 2022, 05:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AppalachianHollers

Quote from: camotoe on February 26, 2022, 07:24:29 PM
He did a podcast where him and Phelps went and cut the tree down and that is the tree these are all made from . Something about if you bought a call they where doing a drawing to go
Turkey hunt on the property the tree was cut down from and you could go see the stump your call was from . 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For an extra $1,000 I'd expect they'll let you take a whizz on the stump. Just so you could be a part of it...

compton30

I saw the call on IG after listening to the podcast. I couldn't believe the price. They're not even all turned out by Phelps, not that I've ever heard one of his calls run. I graduated HS with one of the guys on their crew so I was always a supporter of theirs but now it just seems like a big money grab

deerhunt1988

The price alone convinced me to listen to the podcast. I kept expecting them to say they were donating a portion of the sales to their "Land Access Initiative " in which they are helping fund access to more public lands. But sadly, that was never mentioned.  Looks like it's strictly for profit.

quavers59

compton30

I'm being 100% dead serious and not a smart aleck. Does this Phelps guy even make high quality sounding calls? For 299 it better be world class

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: compton30 on February 27, 2022, 04:02:17 AM
I'm being 100% dead serious and not a smart aleck. Does this Phelps guy even make high quality sounding calls? For 299 it better be world class
I believe he started off as an elk call guy, moved into turkey diaphragms and then expanded. I'd bet the call is well made and I'd bet it sounds fine. As fine as any production pot. But you just flat lose me at a $300 price tag for kitsch. I could get four of the best pot calls being made for that. I mean would you rather have that one mediocre call in your vest or would you rather have a Buster Halford slate, a Clay Townsend glass, a Travis Wyatt ceramic, and a Darrin Dawkins aluminum? I know which way I'd go and I'd still have money left to buy another striker.

Happy

I dunno. Hypothetically if I were to buy one and win the hunt I would prefer that I go out alone. Steve can stay at the house and make some supper. I have heard him call and I don't need that kind of help. And I probably wouldn't use that call to kill a turkey. He'd better make an impressive meal though.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Ranger

Happy you said a lot when you said there's a lot of man worshipping going on these days. Exactly. Perspective has been lost entirely by some folks. Stevie couldn't tote my Granddaddy's work boots
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

GobbleNut

Quote from: compton30 on February 27, 2022, 04:02:17 AM

I don't know how gold turkey calls sound, but for me to buy one at that price, it would have to be made out of it...   :angel9:

Zobo

Quote from: Happy on February 27, 2022, 09:55:51 AM
I dunno. Hypothetically if I were to buy one and win the hunt I would prefer that I go out alone. Steve can stay at the house and make some supper. I have heard him call and I don't need that kind of help. And I probably wouldn't use that call to kill a turkey. He'd better make an impressive meal though.

You better watch that meal, he fed a group undercooked bear meat and gave them all trichinosis. Chester is right, that call is very reminiscent of a production call at 4 times a custom pot price.  It screams gimmick/scam. I know we're in inflationary times but come on.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

GobbleNut

Quote from: Happy on February 27, 2022, 09:55:51 AM

:TooFunny:  :toothy12: To be polite, I will give ol' Stevie the benefit of the doubt and say that, since he gets to hunt about every type of big game known to man, he probably doesn't focus much on turkey hunting or his calling ability. ...And it shows...  ;D :toothy9: :angel9:

El Pavo Grande

They will probably sell all 1,400 because of the current infatuation level with hunting "celebrities".   Some of these guys could market and sell a turd in a box and many would trip all over themselves to buy it. 

30_06

Why have there been so many comments about it being a production call? Only 1,400 have been made, what is the threshold for custom and production?

Esse quam videri

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: 30_06 on February 27, 2022, 11:24:57 AM
Why have there been so many comments about it being a production call? Only 1,400 have been made, what is the threshold for custom and production?

Esse quam videri
Ask Buster Halford how long it will take him to turn 1,400 pots. The answer to your question is quite simply one is coming out of a CNC machine and one is being turned and tuned by hand. That's not to say there aren't good production calls made. There are plenty and this may very well be one.

silvestris

I think I will stick with my Joe Mayeaux slate.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game