Main Menu

This is why you don't show pins/imagery in videos

Started by deerhunt1988, February 24, 2022, 04:53:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Gobbler

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

eggshell

There are a bunch of turkeys right here {38° 53' 51.587" N 77° 2' 11.666" W}, is this what you mean about sharing  too much?

Neill_Prater

Haven't read the entire thread, and won't, but a lot of the concerns raised parallel what I have said for years about telemarketing and scammers. If NO ONE listened it would all go away in 30 days.

Don't like what YouTubers are doing? Quit watching and encourage others to do the same.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

greencop01

1st the complaining and whining creates more people going to these PUBLIC LANDS, and the problem just multiplies. How do they find these places, they go online and research. Do the same as them. Research your state and find new places to hunt. If you don't other people will and will find new places to hunt. And you will be left with the scraps. Fight fire with fire and research your state. There are probably more area to hunt with more gobblers. The you tubers do it. Do it their way. It's a free country. Public land has been a public tradition forever. That what has made us different from Europe. Stop trying to deny public tradition and freedom.
:TrainWreck1:
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

PLP

Yet here we all are..the problem is in your hand..good luck..times will get harder

PLP

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on February 24, 2022, 04:53:32 PM

It can, and will, be found. This is just one of MANY examples of spots found after being shown in videos. This particular example was sent to me by a friend who enjoys finding these spots during his downtime at work.

During the start of the "YouTube era", I recognized imagery from a prominent YouTuber and notified him. He recognized his mistake and acknowledged it in the very next video. I assume he hasn't shown much, if any, real imagery or "pins" since. However, that can't be said for all.

So what is the incentive, you may ask? Why would they continue to show real imagery/topo and compromise their spots? It is rather simple. $$. They want their viewers using onX to try and find spots. They want as many people using their "onX code" as possible. Because kickbacks. They basically get commission when you use their onX code for the discount.

In this particular case, the state is Iowa. So an influx of non-residents to these spots isn't much of concern due to the regulated non-resident hunting. And they can get plenty of resident tags to continue filming each spring. But the same can't be said for other states where real spots are shown.

If you want to show your spot to the world, please at least take the courtesy not to name the state? Or vice versa.

Did you consider they are intentionally doing it?To get cyber scouters to click on the link?Doesn't matter if you love em or hate em..you click on that video and you're paying them..They do not care about the resource..only the fame,money,and attention.And there are thousands of guys willing to do all the leg work and hold their hands-walk them right to the best spots in each given state-begging them to come ruin their public land as well..it's a cycle we must go thru so people can become educated to the damage they are doing.Help people on a one on one basis.Keep your public hunting areas private..if you care for them..best of luck

bonasa

I bought a gps from a guy on a nother forum for bird hunting, an older garmin astro. Anyway, he left all his data points and covey locations. I felt dirty and deleted them out of principle, it was from the midwest and I am on the east, but still felt wrong.

Also. Make sure you turn your geocaching off on your phone, you dont know where your photos will end up. Some clown could export the exif data and find your spot where that big longbeard came from.

Remove landmarks from photos and scrub the background if necessary. Be careful who you take and where you take them.

Public land is all the rage nowadays. I get it, we dont want to lose it as some has been lost. At the same time in this digital age, lets get back to making personal relationships and knock on a few doors. The domino effect kicks in and you almost always end up getting neighboring farms by name dropping that you have permission next door.

Jim K

I don't get the public land craze. I do hunt some public but when I go out of state I prefer to hunt private. I don't want to drive half way across the country to be bouncing off other hunters or worrying about somebody messing me up. I prefer to pay trespass fees and hunt private.

I did shoot a bird on public this spring and last in Nebraska and had quality hunts. I just prefer private. My .02.

redleg06

Quote from: aaron on February 26, 2022, 05:35:58 AM
Quote from: El Pavo Grande on February 25, 2022, 08:13:50 PM
Quote from: aaron on February 25, 2022, 07:53:23 PM
If these types of things effect your ability to kill a turkey, that's YOUR problem.  Improvise, adapt and overcome.   I cannot get on board with this poor me attitude.  Stay in here whining, I'll be out finding birds

Care to elaborate on any references made to the lack of finding turkeys, killing turkeys, improvising, adapting, overcoming, walking farther, or working harder?  Not a poor me attitude or a "my" problem.  Much larger than that.

I feel I said it about as cut and dry as I could.  Care to elaborate on the "much bigger problem"?    Hunter numbers are drastically down.   Everywhere.   My state at its peak sold 90,000 Turk  we tags a year.   We sell 60,000 now.  Year In and year out.  That's the bigger problem.  Getting more people in our sport is the only way to ensure a lasting legacy.

Turkey hunter numbers are WAY up in most places, over the last 30 years... We don't need more deer or turkey hunters. That's a myth pushed by people who make money from having more hunters in the woods, at least for deer, turkey and waterfowl.

If the goal is just to get more people involved in hunting in general, how about THP and some of these other big ones do it with coyote/predator hunting and trapping?  Make a sincere push to get more people in to that because those species are trending up while turkey are trending down...Since their motives are  "we just want to get people involved for the good of all hunters..."  Ok. Well, then it shouldn't matter what type of hunting it is... might as well be hunting something that isn't on a national decline AND something that could actually help put more turkey in the woods.

redleg06

Quote from: St. Augustine Strutter on February 26, 2022, 07:34:56 PM
Quote from: deerhunt1988 on February 26, 2022, 11:17:34 AM
Quote from: El Pavo Grande on February 25, 2022, 03:25:48 PM

Here's the biggest What If.  What if someone provides a solid answer as to why we are wrong?  What if someone eloquently explains how promoting specifics has been a positive for localized turkey populations and turkey hunting opportunities?  I welcome at least one response with substance.

Been waiting quite a long time for this answer. No one can seem to provide it.

Where you at Paulmyr??  How about catman and Shane??  Crickets...

It's obvious why they don't answer though. They just come back with more senseless drivel.

My personal favorite is the videos where they pull up to spots that are crowded, complain about it being crowded or some guy coming in on them, etc. and then go ahead and post the video anyway...which will help make it more crowded going forward.  It's like come on man...you don't like crowded spots? Well, no ...we don't either...But you're ok doing things that make more spots crowded for everyone else anyway???

redleg06

Quote from: El Pavo Grande on February 25, 2022, 03:25:48 PM
Quote from: Paulmyr on February 25, 2022, 03:00:22 PM
How about, if you guys want to be activists, go the source. Take a look around the perimeter of this message board. That's where you start. They and the companies like them have more power to control the fate of the resource than any Youtube video guys. If you want no more YouTube vids tell them and show them that you don't like them supporting........whatever it is you don't like.......You don't like watching people shoot jakes, you dont like people naming states.

All I'm saying boys is if your serious take it to the top. Find out who supports them and let them have it. Let the sponsors know things need to change. The only way to do that is hurt their bottom lines more than if they weren't promoting turkey hunting. Feel like saying good bye to your Mossy Oak Original Bottomlands. Have at it.

Any thing else is...well......just complaining on a message board.

Quote from: sasquatch1 on February 25, 2022, 02:14:11 PM
Quote from: Paulmyr on February 25, 2022, 02:05:08 PM
Quote from: arkrem870 on February 25, 2022, 01:39:39 PM
It matters a great deal.... As southern hunters have seen the largest pressure increase and are dealing with loss of season/limits/draw etc. Frankly we go north for easy gobblers and less pressure.
You say that like I don't hunt the south? Like I don't have places there that I  have worked hard to find keep secret. Spots that I can return too after not having been in 20 yrs and bring home gobblers. You say that like I haven't spent over 30 days in Ga in one trip learning to hunt tough pressured "southern gobblers". Like I haven't spent week long trips to Arkansas only to come home with bad poison oak. Like I haven't seen the hay days of Missouri........ You say that like I don't know what I'm talking about. Stereotype much?

I got some news for you. Turkey's are turkeys no mater where you hunt them. They can be just as tough up here in Mn and just as easy down there in the south. And pressure is everywhere on public land.
All this past tense talk. When last have you been? 20 years ago?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last year. Do you want know how many brought home too? Maybe the color of the under of the underwear I was wearing when I shot them?

The source is the irresponsibility by many on YT, FB, and forums.  Joe X is just as guilty on FB pics of WMA signs as the THP is for promoting National Forest land in North XYZ state. 

What if enough hunters are educated to the negative impacts?  Maybe Joe X has never been educated of the negative impacts.  What if as a whole the masses don't just shrug their shoulders and say "oh, well.  It's entertaining, you should just work harder and get over it"?  Change the culture from the bottom up.  Pull the rug out from under the nonsense and demand some change.  Speak out against it and quit punching the "Like" button.  Do you honestly think Mossy Oak is going to quit promoting Dave Owens or OnX is going to quit utilizing THP without a mass reduction in sales??  Negatory.  They are going to keep counting that money.  Some of these YT guys (not all) are flipping you the finger while filing another order on the fan club hat, decal, and shirt.  This has to be change from the foundation and what is to be accepted by the turkey hunting community.   

Here's the biggest What If.  What if someone provides a solid answer as to why we are wrong?  What if someone eloquently explains how promoting specifics has been a positive for localized turkey populations and turkey hunting opportunities?  I welcome at least one response with substance.

It's like half the cultural nonsense in this country..... where does it start?   In the home.

:z-winnersmiley:

silvestris

I just wish people would stop posting oversize photos.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

jb1069

Quote from: silvestris on May 05, 2022, 12:15:20 PM
I just wish people would stop posting oversize photos.

x2 and I wish I didn't have to scroll sideways to read an entire line of text.

BigSlam51

They left their GPS coordinates in the video once when the camera was focused on one of their phones. Didn't take me long to find what they call "the buck nest" in Iowa.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Zobo

Turkey hunting is not a high tech endeavor, it's decidedly and purposeful low tech. That's why we rub pieces of wood and slate together and use wooden horns and tubes to mimic and trick turkeys. That's how most of us like it and that's why laws and rules were created to keep it that way. It's a traditional and antiquated pursuit.
     A lot of people have a problem with anything that requires a battery being carried in the turkey woods. I like having a camera so I'm not that ridged, but I understand their concerns, and I see the problems that have arisen from all this "progress."
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14