turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Optimum turkey shot opinion

Started by hunter85, February 22, 2022, 12:55:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunter85

What is everyone's opinion on the optimal shot size and material to gauge size of pattern, performance, amount of shot per shell, and cost? My thoughts are 10ga is lead in 4,5 shot, 12ga is hevi 13 is 6, 20ga is hw15 in 7 and 28,410 would be tss 9s

fallhnt

6...lead...12ga

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Happy

Provided I get an acceptable, killing pattern at 40 yards with a little wiggle room the gauge is of no matter. Here are my preferences.
Lead: #5 shot
Hevi shot: #6 shot
Hevi weight: #7 shot
TSS: 8.5 shot

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Dtrkyman

TSS 9 shot.  Look at the ballistics, in basically runs out of pattern density and lethality at the same time, well beyond reasonable shooting distance for me!

Greg Massey

Shot federal 2 oz copper coated 5 for years and still have plenty in 12, but my favorite is the Federal HW 7 in 20 ga.

crow

Capt. Bogardus settled on #1 lead shot in a 10 gauge.

Of course that was a little before TSS

Gooserbat

Tss #9 in anything except a 410, in that scenario I'd get 9.5 shot. 

There's always detractors, but most of those only have keyboard experience with it because once you understand what tss dose and dose not do there is no argument. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

PALongspur

Quote from: Gooserbat on February 22, 2022, 02:48:18 PM
Tss #9 in anything except a 410, in that scenario I'd get 9.5 shot. 

There's always detractors, but most of those only have keyboard experience with it because once you understand what tss dose and dose not do there is no argument.

:z-winnersmiley:

hunter85

I'm not saying tss isn't king! But at considering the give range to shoot turkeys with in is 40 yards and the cost of getting 12 in tss is 20-30 dollars over that of 20. With it having almost a 100% pattern density in a 10 at 40 now you hear more about people missing at 15 and 20. If it came down to shooting them at 100 yards where the lethality is gone why not just hunt them with a rifle at that point where legal?

Hook hanger

If talking 40yds and inside of that then tss 10s. Doesn't matter the guage!

Wigsplitter

Yoder409

Quote from: Happy on February 22, 2022, 01:25:00 PM
Provided I get an acceptable, killing pattern at 40 yards with a little wiggle room the gauge is of no matter. Here are my preferences.
Lead: #5 shot
Hevi shot: #6 shot
Hevi weight: #7 shot
TSS: 8.5 shot

Pretty much what I'd say.   Yep.

But, in lead, never under-estimate #6's at 40 yards.  IMO....... #4 lead is a red-headed stepchild.  Pellet count/ounce is just too low and #5's will do just about the same job at the same distance.  Ballistic Products offers a nickel plated #5 1/2 lead shot that might bear some investigation.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Remington700

I shot a 12 gauge with 3.5 #5 lead for years. Now I shoot a 20 gauge with TSS #9.

MK M GOBL

I still shoot Winchester HV #5's 12ga 3", no reason to change, and for the 20ga I did buy the same to try out, but Federal Prairie Storm 20ga #5's kills them too.

MK M GOBL

Number17

Quote from: hunter85 on February 22, 2022, 03:39:55 PM
I'm not saying tss isn't king! But at considering the give range to shoot turkeys with in is 40 yards and the cost of getting 12 in tss is 20-30 dollars over that of 20. With it having almost a 100% pattern density in a 10 at 40 now you hear more about people missing at 15 and 20. If it came down to shooting them at 100 yards where the lethality is gone why not just hunt them with a rifle at that point where legal?

Nobody is getting anywhere near 100% of the pattern in the 10" circle at 40yd. A 50% pattern is more realistic except for maybe the real number chasers on here.
People that miss a bird at 20 yards with TSS #9s are the same guys missing them with lead #4s.......and for the same reason.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls