turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Optimum turkey shot opinion

Started by hunter85, February 22, 2022, 12:55:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spitten and drummen

#9 TSS. If you dont shoot it because of the cost , thats understandable , but its not like your duck hunting with it. Also the shot is the most important thing in the grand scheme of things imo. Shoot , my broadhead tipped arrow with lighted nocks cost more than a TSS shell.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

dzsmith

I've only used 6s in lead and 9s in tungsten. If tss went extinct .... I'd go right back to 6s.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Which Gun

12ga lead #5's 3" and 3 1/2"
20 and 410 tss 9

GobbleNut

Really, for those of us who are what I would refer to as "serious" turkey hunters,...those guys who have made the effort to obtain a "proper" gun and choke combination, use a sighting system that suits them, and have shot with it enough to be competent...the discussion on what is the best load to use is moot.  Just about any load that is made for turkey hunting specifically,...and probably even some that aren't...will kill a gobbler out to that anointed maximum forty-yard distance. 

The problem we have is that for every one of us that fits the description above, there are a dozen more folks that hunt turkeys that take whatever shotgun they own, grab a random box of shells, and go turkey huntin'.  Not only that, but in all likelihood, that mythical 40-yard max probably never comes into play in their thought process. In addition, those folks are not here reading any of this, and they are the ones that need to be!

For me, personally, I made the decision some time ago that I do not what to chance leaving a wounded gobbler in the woods.  Therefore, I will continue to shoot my 12 ga. turkey gun that I am supremely confident in (which admittedly seems to weigh about thirty-seven pounds nowadays) with TSS loads that I am absolutely certain when I pull the trigger are going to result in a dead gobbler.  I am willing carry that bazooka and pay a few bucks a pop more for those shells to be reassured of that in my mind 

Whatever gun, choke, and load others choose to use, I have no problem with as long as their mindset is fundamentally the same as mine in that regard...   :)

quavers59

I still prefer Copper coated #4s/ Federal or Winchester + a 3" Shell. No 3 1/2" Candlesticks for me.

Dtrkyman

Lot of good info here, it all boils down to confidence, when I first got seriously into hunting turkeys I was chasing patterns constantly, the ammo at that time was just simply not that great, it would kill at 40 but the patterns were pathetic!

I remember going up to the target after touching off one of the 2 1/4 oz 3.5s back in the day and was like really, that is it.

Then hevi shot came around, I had gotten it when it was under the Remington brand and man what a difference in patterns!  After that hevi shot starting their own line and the old white/clear hulled roll crimped shells were fantastic!  Winchester xtended range followed.

Now we have so many good options a new guy is probably a bit overwhelmed with choices.   

Tom007

My thoughts are if you can get a great pattern at your PREFERRED yardages, #4 has devastating penetration. I have 2 boxes left of the Winchester Xtended Range Elite 3 inch number 4 with the Environmental shot. This stuff patterns exceptionally well out of my 870 21 inch barrel with an Indian Creek Choke .665. It's a shame they discontinued this shell...

Old Dominion Tom

Out of all gauges, HTL options will out perform lead, with TSS being the best of the bunch.  If money is no obstacle, then TSS #9 is a tough load to beat out of any gauge.

If you are not shooting TSS, then your best shot size/material type that maximizes the distance that you are likely to have both necessary pattern density and penetration may vary depending upon gauge.

12 gauge 3" and 3.5":
H13 #6
Lead #5

12 gauge 2 3/4":
H13 #6 - not available
Lead #6 - very difficult to find

20 gauge 3"
HW #7 - not available
H13 #7 -  not available
Lead #6 - very difficult to find

In lead turkey loads, it seems that #5 is the most popular and most readily available loads on the shelves.  That is fine for 3 and 3.5" 12 gauge, but for 2 3/4" 12 gauge and 3" 20 gauge I really believe that #6's probably will maximize the distance you can get both necessary pattern density and penetration.  It seems to me that #6's are becoming more and more difficult to to find in 20 gauge and 2 3/4" 12 gauge.  Mostly #4 and #5 on the shelves - not that these aren't capable of killing turkeys, but I do believe #6 is most likely to be the best performer for these smaller payload shells when using lead.

JohnSouth22

8 & 10 blend for me. The 10's carry enough ft/lb of energy to kill to 49-51 yards unobstructed when propelled at around 1150 fps they also give really good wiggle room in close. Most people turn their nose up at 10's but I'll take it to the grave after seeing how lethal they are. 8's of course are lethal much farther than anyone should be shooting lol

JohnSouth22

^^^im obviously talking about tungsten shot only

Turkeytider

12 gauge, Hevi-13 3" , 2 oz. of #6. A great turkey load. Discontinued, of course.

surehuntsalot

have gone back old school with the 12ga when I carry it  Winchester 3" 2oz XX Magnum #5'
Federal Heavyweight #7 in the 20 ga
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

zelmo1

12 gauge  #5 longbeards
20 gauge  # 7 heavyweights
28 gauge  #9 TSS handloads
.410, if I were to use one would be #9/9.5 Foxtrot

greencop01

We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

g8rvet

I can only answer for me, as there is no doubt which is ballistically superior.

12g - The old Remington Hevi #6 was pure poison.  But I killed plenty with high brass #5 or 6.  I usually bought several boxes and once those were gone, bought some new and patterned those.  Once Hevi came, I was set. Son got that gun and will soon run out.  Longbeards #5 are poison in that gun (870).

20g - HW#7.  Unless I catch the lottery and can hunt in 7 states a year, every year, I have a lifetime supply.  Bought a case after they quit making it for a crazy deal. 

410g - tss 9.5

12g M/L - I have settled on a blend of HW#7 and copper plated #6.  It has killed two birds so far at modern shotgun distance. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.