OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Add your one tip not calling related to kill more birds this year…

Started by northms, February 09, 2022, 10:09:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roberthyman14

Quote from: Ol timer on February 10, 2022, 01:38:02 PM
I'm not telling any of friends where I seen all the Turkeys.
You saw turkeys?   Not sure what they look like

Prostaff member for Old Crow Custom Calls

GunRunner

Do your pre-season gun and load checks every year.
Settle on one choke and one specific load based on pattern testing for each gun you intend to use. Do not vary ammo, chokes, or optics without thoroughly proofing out an acceptable pattern. Even if you make no changes from season to season, shoot a test pattern pre-season to assure your firearm is still on target and lethal.

GunRunner
  :turkey:

roberthyman14

Boots on the ground before season,  walk every road you can before season. Gotta find tracks and mark them on your map.  Do not be the guy who rides a road, shuts off the truck and whales on a crow call or hoot tube  then jump back in the truck and drive off.  Bitds know the sound of vehicles. Especially on gravel roads.  They will shut up when they hear that.  Turkey chairs will allow you to sit longer then turkey vests.  Don't forget a pair of hand snips in your vest.   2 thermacells and refills.  Keep a close eye on weather conditions and barometric pressure.  Makes notes of that.

Prostaff member for Old Crow Custom Calls

Wigsplitter

Wear dark socks if you hunt in hiking boots - when sitting the socks will most likely be a little visible - white sure sticks out!!????

etapia

Quote from: WV Flopper on February 10, 2022, 06:38:59 PM
Very good tips. Most of the best are already in print right here in this thread. I will add mine

When setting up "I am left handed" when I set down imagine beIng squared up with where you know the turkey is at. I turn my body slightly to the left. Have my right knee at 10 o'clock to the turkey with my gun across it. This gives me a little wiggle room if the turkey comes in left, but my right side I can swing until I hit the tree I am setting against.

If it's far left I switch hands easily.

Lots of good tips guys.

This! Not sitting like this (but inverse for right handed) definitely costed me a couple of gobblers in the past. Hard to believe they don't come in the exact direction you expect, right!  ::)

strum

More than once when I first started turkey hunting. I had gobblers answer me from behind. Some close some far but my inexperience told me to sit still. I lost a few because they came on in right behind me and I was stuck. Couldn't move and or had them bust me because I tried. You can bet youre TSS that if one answers from behind, I'll be turning around immediately. Of course, this depends on if I think I can without being seen.

ChesterCopperpot

At the very least run a rear sight. That old adage, "You don't aim shotguns," has no bearing in the turkey woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ctrize

Pretty simple one, but my brother after giving him a good spot to go to kepttelling me he wasn't hearing any birds.I finally found out he was not hitting the woods until nine o'clock and they had already gone quiet.Get out early especially if you going into a new spot to pinpoint birds.

Meleagris gallopavo

Hunting in more states. 

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

freakyhen

Learn how to read Topo maps and what terrain features birds like to use

aclawrence

Be patient when listening for the first bird or the one your after to fire off on the roost in the mornings. I painstakingly snuck into a spot last year where a gobbler and hens had been roosting. I got in early and quiet. At light I waited and heard nothing until finally a bird gobbled a few hundred yards away. I stood up to go to him and blew all the turkeys out of the trees right where I was sitting.  That one hurt real bad. If I had just sat there I would have been in the money.

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

Walk and sound like a deer or turkey. GO slow when you need to go fast when you need to.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

Spladle160

Do your homework. Scout, watch them fly up the night before, get in early and let them fly down right in front of you.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Tail Feathers

Quote from: freakyhen on February 12, 2022, 10:02:54 AM
Learn how to read Topo maps and what terrain features birds like to use

That is great advice for many areas.  In FL or where I hunt it doesn't much apply.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

RutnNStrutn