Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Add your one tip not calling related to kill more birds this year…

Started by northms, February 09, 2022, 10:09:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guesswho

Bobcat
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Zobo

Silence is golden, don't make noises that don't belong in the turkey woods
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

J.D. Shellnut

Don't be afraid to leave him versus staying there and messing him up. I cant hunt them like deer and just set there so if he's  not cooperating I'll slip out and try him again later.
60% of the time it works every time!

Sir-diealot

Might sound stupid, but listen to the people on this forum, there is a wealth of knowledge here and they were instrumental in helping me get my first turkey 2 seasons ago. Thanks again all.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

ol bob

LI Outdoorsman

NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
Hunt as long as your law will allow to the bitter end...

Happy

Pay attention. Picking up on small details and patterns can make a huge difference. Also have a good attitude. Its spring and the time of year many of us highlight on our calendar. Appreciate it every minute of it even if you are currently getting your hindparts handed to you by the turkeys.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

bpsmag1026

Hunt every day you can no matter the weather. Rain, snow, wind or whatever.

Gobbler428

Know the terrain your hunting and what is between you and the bird your working and don't be afraid to move on him if necessary.

GobbleNut

Quote from: ol bob on February 10, 2022, 09:02:53 AM
Never hunt where there are no birds.

:D  ...And conversely, hunt where there are lots of birds (preferably dumb ones)...and no other hunters   ;D

davisd9

Work methodically through the woods and do not blow through it. Just cause he does not gobble right away does not mean he is not there.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

northms

One tip on set up. The set up will make or break killing the bird. Ideally, (not always possible) try to have some obstruction (hill, rise in terrain, brush pile, thick trees) of some sort where the bird can't see you (the hen) until he gets 40 yards from you. This is why often times setting up on the side of a field and trying to call a bird to you without decoys can be an exercise in frustration.

In hill country if you can get just over the crest of a rise and call him to you where he's within gun range as soon as he pop his head over....that's perfect. But don't expect him to keep walking all the way into your set up if he can visually look and see there is no hen there.

sswv

just like selling real estate. location, location, location. KNOW YOUR AREA and where to set up. Knowing what is between you and the bird is VERY important. and like others have said....stay patient, stay still and don't be afraid of the bird. calling a bird is rewarding and listening to him respond will help you know how to call to him. listen and learn. I've been doing this a long time and every year I think I learn something new. It just never gets old.

Candyman

Pay attention to other critters making noise. Squirrels, blue jays, crows etc. sometimes when they are fussing they are fussing at turkeys.

Old Dominion Tom

Time in the woods:
If you see turkey sign and/or have been hearing birds in an area in recent weeks, be assured the birds are still there - even on the days you are not hearing turkey talk.  They ARE there, hearing and/or seeing all that you do well and all that you do poorly.  If time permits, slow down and hunt later into the morning.  You'll bump less birds and you never know what will flip the switch on a previously quiet bird (be it the hen(s) leaving to nest, weather change, etc.).  I've actually killed way more birds after 8:30 in the morning than I have off the roost.  You likely won't hear as much vocalization, but when you do get one going in late morning, in my experience, he is likely to be taking a ride home with you.

Setup:
As others have said, this is a huge difference maker between just talking to birds vs. killing them.  Always use terrain and cover to the extent possible to make it so the gobbler is unable to see you until he is very nearly or already in range.  If he can see your calling position from a far and does not see a hen there, it is likely he will not close the distance.  You will become amazed at how well they pinpoint your calling location.  If you have chosen your setup well and are totally motionless, trust your camo.  I've had some birds pass within a few yards of me and never known I was there.

Gun/Choke/Load Choices:
I have way more choke tubes and turkey load types than I will be able to shoot up in my remaining lifetime.  It is important to pattern your shotgun to know the POI vs POA, and to know what kind of pattern density that you will get from a given choke and load combo.  I get a great deal of enjoyment experimenting with various gun/choke/load combinations during the off season.  BUT...  when it actually comes to killing a bird, you really do not NEED the capability provided by the technology of todays chokes and advanced loads.  IMO, if you are truly keeping your shots WITHIN 40 yards, the high performance offered by todays loads and chokes can even be a bit of a handicap.  Patterns can be so tight that it is easier to miss birds that work in very close, or move their head just as you are squeezing the trigger, or you may not be as steady if you are twisted like a pretzel while trying to shoot.  If the vast majority of your shots are within 40 yards, you can get by with and possibly even be better equipped with old school type lead turkey loads and less choke restriction than loads and chokes that are capable of totally shredding a 10" circle at 40 yards.  The advanced loads and chokes shine in situations where a 40 plus yard shot may be taken or in sub gages.

Calls and Other Equipment:
IMO, you may be better off to spend your money on a couple of very well made calls than on buying large quantities of cheaper commercially available calls.  Tote two or three well made, great sounding calls that you can use well versus carrying large numbers of cheaper calls.  In general, I've really paired down the number of calls and or other equipment that I tote around versus what I carried in my early days of hunting.

Good luck and check into this forum frequently - great advice and entertainment can be found here.

ODT