OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Add your one tip not calling related to kill more birds this year…

Started by northms, February 09, 2022, 10:09:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northms

Let's see if we can get a thread going of some tips to kill more birds this year that has nothing to do with calling. Lots of new hunters could benefit and even some old dogs can learn new tricks.

Mine is don't negate scratching in the leaves when a gobbler is within 100 yards or so. Maybe further if it's quiet. In the MS big woods this has killed me several birds. Scratch (when he can't see you) to the cadence of scratch-scratch....scratch. Repeat.

Hard to mess that up even as a novice. It's something normal and calming for them to hear that has nothing to do with yapping away on your call to him.

What else?

Will

RossAnderson

Quote from: northms on February 09, 2022, 10:09:11 PM
Let's see if we can get a thread going of some tips to kill more birds this year that has nothing to do with calling. Lots of new hunters could benefit and even some old dogs can learn new tricks.

Mine is don't negate scratching in the leaves when a gobbler is within 100 yards or so. Maybe further if it's quiet. In the MS big woods this has killed me several birds. Scratch (when he can't see you) to the cadence of scratch-scratch....scratch. Repeat.

Hard to mess that up even as a novice. It's something normal and calming for them to hear that has nothing to do with yapping away on your call to him.

What else?
I believe your dead on with the scratching. I've had real good success from just scratching in the leaves without calling, especially around mid day and the afternoons. I've also had success with just slowing down the pace, maybe sounding like a turkey walking myself instead of just hauling fast around the woods. I learned my lesson many years ago from walking to fast and running up on birds I didn't see until it was too late. "northms" is this a good post. It'll be interesting to see what others have to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Ross

Bedge7767

Don't go back home. If you can get a bird to gobble in the afternoon you'll be more likely to get him.
Jim

strut

northms

Kygobblergetter

Do your scouting. Your odds of success go way up when you're hunting where the birds are

Greg Massey

Hunt alone the creek bottoms, those places usually green up first ...

TRG3

Set up some camo screen/netting in front of you. It hides your movements, including those you will make during your morning nap!

crow

budtripp

Stay out there as long as you can. My 2 MO birds were killed at 10:35 and noon last year. Both mornings my roost hunt plans didn't exactly go the way I'd envisioned.

Oljamo

Scouting and Knowing where they like to be, get a head of them and wait
Osceola headhunter

fallhnt

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

MS TurkeyHunter

Set up. If you don't have this no calling will work. In some cases, its all you ever need.

Calling is neat but the set up is meat!