only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Very interesting read

Started by Gentry, December 20, 2021, 01:49:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GobbleNut

Quote from: Gentry on December 20, 2021, 01:49:57 PM
I think he is spot on.

Absolutely agree.  Thanks for posting this.  ...The best dissection of the problems we have with hunting in today's society that I have seen to date.  Kudos to the author for telling it like it is!  This article should be required reading for everybody!   :icon_thumright:

THattaway

I dunno. The older I get the more I trust what my gut tells me, even when I can't put it into words. My gut feels like there is just one word I can find here. Irony.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

fallhnt

Social media and crossguns legal for all the entire archery season are the 2 big reasons for overcrowding IL public land.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Happy

I agree with many of his points and I feel if all hunting was dropped off of Facebook, twatter, Instaglam we would all be better off than if it remains. I despise the look at me, buy my stuff, chest thumping sea of obnoxiousness that social media hunting has created. So glad old gobbler is my only form of social media.However one thing that I do not want to see disappear is the acknowledgement to the reality of things. In order for people to live, plants and animals must die. It seems like everyone is hiding from that fact these days and I fear if it is shoved away and hidden then the hunter will have more of an uphill battle. The reality is, I am willing to bet there are very few, if any, Instaglammers, YouTubers, or facebookers that have the majority of their content on conservation, explaining the benefits of hunting and the proper management of wildlife. Showing the good and bad with a respectful and sincere attitude. However, that doesn't get "likes" and sell merchandise. Instead its a bunch of shooting, whooping and hollering and acting like fools when they kill something. I just wish there wasn't such a desire to be famous and have a bunch of people you don't even know "following" you. So while overall I agree with Matt more than I disagree, I think there could be some benefits of hunting on social media if the right person stepped up who had zero interest in money, "likes" or fame. However I ain't the man for the job and don't want to be the man for the job. I would feel like I was pimping out something very dear to me if I was to step out on that limb.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Happy

By the way, Matt Rinella voiced this very topic on a blood origins podcast a few weeks ago. Sounds like he is going to expound on his thoughts a bit more in the near future

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Dtrkyman

Using social media to chit on social media, haha.

Many good points, but a bit self serving as well.

St. Augustine Strutter

Unless I am mistaken, that appears to be a written article. I wouldn't really count that as social media.  Regardless, I think the point of this thread is more about the content of the article. Care to share your thoughts or would you rather continue spamming the board with senseless grade school comments? 

Personally, I think he is spot on and if you disagree with him you likely enjoy giving strangers "likes" and/or posting your little photos in an attempt to garner admiration From people you will never meet.

kytrkyhntr

I enjoyed the read, however I find it hard to believe he hasn't benefited from the hunting side of social media I mean his brother has pimped hunting out on social media more than anyone in the world. Lol
don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

St. Augustine Strutter

Quote from: kytrkyhntr on December 21, 2021, 09:02:21 PM
I enjoyed the read, however I find it hard to believe he hasn't benefited from the hunting side of social media I mean his brother has pimped hunting out on social media more than anyone in the world. Lol

He deliberately references that in the article and goes on to talk about the shame he felt when he realized why he was posting on social media.  He was Man enough to look himself in the mirror and admit his faults, a trait many are lacking these days.

kytrkyhntr

I understand your point.. but I'm just saying I would be willing to bet you his pockets are being lined in some shape or form from social media. Therefore it's a little ironic. Also I found this article 2 weeks ago on... you guessed it... social media lol just saying if you're so anti social media then just delete it.
don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

PalmettoRon

I agree with most of what he wrote. I think the key point is to limit putting up photos on social media of dead critters. I quit watching the hunting shows on TV some time ago. The distillation of the hunt to hunt a little bit, kill and pose inside of 30-60 minutes is a completely false narrative of what hunting is about.

THattaway

Ok, so let's say everyone stops posting pics on social media. What about all the jack leg hunting shows, magazine articles, websites dedicated to making a buck off hunting? I'm talking the canned hunts with all sorts of circus animals, blind hunters where turkeys go to pecking as soon as they come into sight, etc. The stuff that makes a hunter cringe to think non hunting public may see it and think we all do such.

The genie is out of the bottle. Best you can do is use common sense, some do that without some idealist article looking for his own 15 minutes of fame. I've enjoyed watching meathunter because it promoted fair chase. Now I find I'm a bad guy contributing to the decline of hunting. Lol
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Sir-diealot

I agree with much of what he says, I do feel social medial has promoted the "Get one at any cost" attitude and if you take time to read much of what is said there (Social media) it goes completely against what it taught in hunters education classes. I read about quartering to shots with a bow or crossbow quite often and they tend to want to say something to the effect of "I am shooting so and so pounds so my arrow will punch right through" or "I am using a broad head made of one piece of steel and I know what it will do and it will do far more than any other broad head" or other such stupidity. I read "I only shoot them in the head" (even with a bow) comments, only shoot them high in the spine. Well you will drop them yes (Now always with a bow) but then you often time need to take a follow up shot which with a bow or a single shot gun like a muzzle loader can take a bit to get loaded and then shot and in the meantime the animal is laying there suffering. Besides that why would you want to ruin the best meat on the deer by shooting it in the spine anyway?

As far as magazines go I do not think it is the same thing, they were around for many decades and never created the problems I see now with hunting, in many cases those guys were doing a job, loved what they were after and shared it in a respectable manner unlike much of what you see on social media with blood all over the place, a tongue hanging out of a deer which just ruins every shot in my mind, shove that back in there or cut it off but don't include it in the photo, you can even edit it out very easily, basically show the animal with respect if you are going to show it is what I am saying.

Don't even get me going on the vast majority of crossbow hunters I have talked to on both social media and in person (Not just kids, grown adults in their 40's and 50's mind you) that think they can shoot a deer at 100-150 yards and won't listen to you when you try to explain to them "If a deer can jump and arrow at 30 yards what do you think it will do at those ranges?" Or "You can't see obstructions in the woods at shorter ranges what makes you think you will see them at longer ranges?" Or "You are not shooting off your bench rest in the woods" or "You don't have the adrenaline giving you the shakes when you are on your bench at home like you do when you are hunting" They all want to believe what they can do in video games with a crossbow is real. (I am a gamer by the way) Everybody thinks I am anti crossbow, I am not, I am anti stupid people with any hunting implement.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Ihuntoldschool

Social Media isn't to blame.  If you want to blame anyone put it where it belongs solely on this new breed of hunters and their new attitudes.