turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

big pigs

Started by Southerngobbler, November 25, 2021, 06:07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southerngobbler

Been bow hunting for the last 30 days but went out this morning with a rifle. Some pigs come by and I have the worst luck judging their weight. I'm getting where I don't want to shoot one over 80 Lbs. They're kinda far off and I let some lead fly and ended up getting a huge boar, I guess he was harassing some sows cuz there was a group of them. This is about the 3rd one I've shot like this, way too big, instead of ground shrinkage they git bigger and bigger. So it turned into a 3 hour deal, getting it out and all, luckily my buddy has stashed a game cart in the woods close by,  He had a lot of fat on him and might be ok to eat, sometimes the big ones are just fine, if not my dogs have to eat to.

Happy

I have no experience with wild hogs other than eating one but if he has some fat on him is sausage an option?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Southerngobbler

yep, if the meats not rank, and it didn't smell that way it will make great sausage. I will make a small batch and try it before I go too far. Some hog fat is great eating and some isn't. I'll let it mellow in the ice chest for a few days and give it a try.

Sixes

That's a good hog. It's dead.

I'm one of those that will not mess with a hog other than killing it and I will shoot boars, shoats, sows with piglets and the piglets and not think twice about it.

I know a lot of folks don't like hunters that "waste" game, but hogs are not game where I hunt, they are a nuisance.

But, congrats on your hog!

silvestris

Hogs are not game; they are vermin.  Kill them all.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

KentuckyHeadhunter

That pic is hilarious.  Great job and I agree kill them ALL.  We've put down six at my lease this year and not made a dent.  I try to get a 75 to 100lber for sausage every year and we take the rest to the "train station".
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Spurs Up

Nice!  That's at least a C-cup vest.

bigriverbum

we had some hogs in our area of wisconsin about 20 years ago. luckily the dnr stressed how important it was to exterminate them and they were culled.

i was telling my wife about it and was looking up articles. apparently shortly after this happened some idiot who owned an elk farm brought in like 40 wild hogs and released them. unbelievable how stupid people can be. luckily those too were eradicated 

fallhnt

Quote from: bigriverbum on November 26, 2021, 08:20:42 PM
we had some hogs in our area of wisconsin about 20 years ago. luckily the dnr stressed how important it was to exterminate them and they were culled.

i was telling my wife about it and was looking up articles. apparently shortly after this happened some idiot who owned an elk farm brought in like 40 wild hogs and released them. unbelievable how stupid people can be. luckily those too were eradicated
Releasing hogs is illegal in IL and MO. Idiots released them in the national forests in IL in the 80s and 90s. Both states made them illegal to hunt now and are trapping them. In IL the only time you can shoot them is during deer gun and only if you have a deer gun permit. IL claims to have them about gone. The reason they are illegal to hunt is because you may kill one but the rest will move out of the area only to destroy and procreate other areas.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

bigriverbum

theoretically, how far north could hogs spread? is it weather or something else that dictates where they thrive?

could they survive in boreal forests of ontario or the prairies of manitoba?

KentuckyHeadhunter

Quote from: bigriverbum on November 28, 2021, 03:16:57 PM
theoretically, how far north could hogs spread? is it weather or something else that dictates where they thrive?

could they survive in boreal forests of ontario or the prairies of manitoba?

They can evolve to survive anywhere.  They'll grow longer hair and shorter fatter bodies in those conditions.  From jungles of South America to the freezimg northern Europe amd Russia.  They are cockroaches. 

KentuckyHeadhunter

The old mystique of killing a "wild boar" is way gone and over with.  What's weird is there's probably some guy out there who would trade me an antelope hunt for a pig hunt.  If you're out there, pm me please!  ;D

jhoward11

Had an attorney bring some to Indiana back in the 80's. I was unfortunate to have to kill one rabbit hunting. Took 18 shots of light load 6's to kill him. Yes, there was another guy and we had to re-load. He never got 10' away from me. I didn't crap my pants, but I did have to check.lol.  BTW....you should sell that outfit on-line....you would get at least $2 for it. 

Southerngobbler

You sound like quite the shot, it usually takes most ppl one but maybe you had your glasses on backwards. By the way they already sell orange vests online for about that price. They are mandatory use around here for gun season.

Mossberg90MN

Quote from: bigriverbum on November 26, 2021, 08:20:42 PM

Funny I was actually going to go over there and try to get a hog myself, made a plan with a buddy and did some research. From what I found it seemed like the hogs where almost ghosts on the land... Some would find some tracks, one guy would say he thinks he saw some here or there, gas station guy heard of someone getting one in the next county over etc...

We ultimately decided to pass, and it seems like the dnr hired some pros to go in there and exterminate them. Which is good, I hear they just ruin things. I am a fan of ham though hahah

To the OP congrats on the hog, hopefully you can get some good meat off of him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk