OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

This is Why You Remove State Names from YouTube Videos!!!!!!!

Started by deerhunt1988, October 01, 2021, 01:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yelpaholic

TRying to understand your reason for posting this thread ..

El Pavo Grande

Quote from: THattaway on October 04, 2021, 01:40:18 PM
Again, it's really none of your business what anyone does as long as it's legal. And that includes posting where they kill a turkey.

"If it's legal" isn't always the most sound argument, in my opinion.  And yes, beyond the state, it really is no ones business where an individual kills a turkey.  A number on a sheet is fine, but individual name seems a bit unnecessary to be accessed on the internet.

Missed mallards

Didn't know where to hunt but now I do!

In all honesty greed will be what kills the hunter. With all of this "public" and usable resources, it won't be long before the resources are depleted or states limit hunting in such a way the hunter is no longer existent.

Sucks. You'd think people would electively self govern and not get a pick for social media by just killing or bragging of their location. Not going to happen so those that did self govern now get the shaft. Been that way for years now with the aids of internet it's just a faster demise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UpperTully

Quote from: yelpaholic on October 04, 2021, 05:02:29 PM
TRying to understand your reason for posting this thread ..

It's easy to understand when you consider one has more of an personal agenda against certain persons rather than a genuine concern.

El Pavo Grande

It seems to me that the thread was started to show how easy it can be for "fans", or even non-fans, to watch a video promoting hunting in XYZ State and spend a little effort searching to find where they were hunting.  XYZ county...1 WMA...."oooh jackpot!!"  Sacrifice just a few likes and hearts to not name states.  Folks are already hooked like crack cocaine and won't throw away your t-shirts or hats with some slight, simple adjustments to content. 

deerhunt1988

Quote from: El Pavo Grande on October 07, 2021, 11:37:25 AM
It seems to me that the thread was started to show how easy it can be for "fans", or even non-fans, to watch a video promoting hunting in XYZ State and spend a little effort searching to find where they were hunting.  XYZ county...1 WMA...."oooh jackpot!!"

Exactly.

The one's who don't understand obviously haven't been affected by it or don't travel and hunt enough public land in some of these states to see the damage that has already been done. Joe Blow hunting his back 40 will never understand the implications. If you only hunt your local public lands that haven't been blow up yet, it can be very hard to grasp the situation (and consider yourself fortunate)!

If naming states isn't a big deal like many of the video producers claim, why do they continue to do it? Seems like a good comprise between them and their critics would to be just quit naming. No harm done, right?

aclawrence

At the beginning of this thread the author showed everyone how to use the Kentucky website to see who killed what and where. Others have pointed out that you can do this in many states and pointed out other ways to get the info. So it would probably be a little helpful to not name states, but we all know which states these guys hunt in. We can still use the available data to see where they killed the birds at. Especially with the link in the original post.  Honestly I don't what to think about all this.

eggshell

An old timer once told me some wise advice, and this was even before home computers, cell phones and youdumbasstube.

Find at least one new spot to hunt every year, because it's not a matter of if you will lose a spot it's a matter of when. Always be ahead of the game.

So now I'm the old timer and I'm telling ya move on. I had a spot I hunted for 35 years and it was my go to spot in a certain state. Last year when we showed up it was covered with youtube wannabees. Yup the tubers had screwed it up.....lucky me I had just picked up a new farm of 250 acres. Not as many birds, but zero yahoos. The year before we gained another spot and so we wished the crowd goodluck and moved on.

Life's riches go to the prepared

Jbird22

So to combat that, let's post a link that shows specific
It seems to me that the thread was started to show how easy it can be for "fans", or even non-fans, to watch a video promoting hunting in XYZ State and spend a little effort searching to find where they were hunting.  XYZ county...1 WMA...."oooh jackpot!!"  Sacrifice just a few likes and hearts to not name states.  Folks are already hooked like crack cocaine and won't throw away your t-shirts or hats with some slight, simple adjustments to content. 
So if enough people weren't searching for info already, let's post a link that allows you to pin down specific county and public land names. Sorry, but the logic is not there. And no, that info was not already widely known, because I asked a good friend of mine who's lived in Kentucky for well over 20 yrs if he knew about it and he did not know it listed such specific info. But thanks to this post, plenty of folks are well-educated now on KY and now know they can call and ask other states as well. Seems like that's fueling the fire rather than quenching it. But what do I know, I'm just an old Joe Blow who only hunts his back 40. Oh no, wait a minute, I'm the guy who has to hunt the back 40 since I can't draw public in my home state but every 4th yr. And that started waaaaay before Youtube became so popular.

Greg Massey

This post is giving me headache ... enough is enough ... IMO....  :z-flirtysmile3:

THattaway

I've never watched YouTube hunting videos but it's a dang good tool to find out how to work on stuff. My experience has been that you have to watch a ton of videos there to get a grasp of who knows what the heck they are talking about. I'd have to assume you would probably have to do the same to figure out dope on the hunting public videos.

Just a few years back you'd get reamed here for implying turkey hunting public land was in any way more difficult than private.

Oh well, just a couple observations but what do I know. When one of my public spots gets "blown up" I just go elsewhere. When yall get this youtube crisis figured out how about working on how to fix the problem with yankees moving down here and then trying to make it like the hell they came from, reason they moved here to start with.  ;D
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Kylongspur88

Didn't read all the responses but I'll say this about telecheck. First is it is a good tool to track poachers. You wouldn't believe how many times someone checks a deer or turkey in under their wifes name or in one case I know about their infant daughter.... Neighbors see it and call the warden and someone gets a visit. I know it's a snitch system but considering there's only 1 warden per county and some counties have 0 they'll take all the help they can get.

Second, I've used telecheck to monitor public land I hunt. If I work a bird in the morning and dont kill him and can't go back that afternoon I'll watch entries for the next few days to see if a bird gets tagged from the same place.

I guess last is I don't mind the out of state guys having access to info because in all honesty those numbers are just that and don't provide any real context to what's going on on the ground. The system might show 20 birds killed on one area but is that area 2000 acres with high bird density or 20000 acres with very low density and high pressure... Imo people can cyber scout all they want but they'll never know until they put boots on the ground.

Most of the shows I watch like the hunting public which is one of the few shows I actually like will say what state they're in or even maybe the general area but I've never seen them blow a spot up by giving directions. And yes if someone wants to do their research and connect dots good for them, but again they'll imo they'll have to do the leg work like everyone else to be successful.

Missed mallards

YouTube, state forums, blogs....

It's all the same. You mention a "place" and you have exposed that area. Can't blame one when you've done the other for your own reasons. Every time I see a "where" and see my public ground mention I know it won't be long. Add a few pics and a successful hunt and that number doubles.

Went from competing against 1 to 4 hunters to 40 a yr. Seriously and many are from forums. All in part to the internet. Easily searched and lord help u if u know the name of the person.

Better pounce and get greedy. Those of u that enjoyed the the chase will be chasing the past for years to come. The times of past of enjoying the hunt are over, it's a click, pic day and time.

Muzzy61

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

El Pavo Grande

Quote from: Muzzy61 on October 08, 2021, 12:24:49 PM
Quote from: Greg Massey on October 07, 2021, 05:42:13 PM
This post is giving me headache ... enough is enough ... IMO....  :z-flirtysmile3:
[/quo

:z-winnersmiley:

100% TRUTH..... enough is enough with the stupidity on social media.