OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Latest brood ever  (Read 2256 times)

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
Latest brood ever
« on: September 06, 2021, 01:45:58 PM »
Me and boy went out 0-dark:30 this morning calling coyotes.  No shot opportunities there.

But on the short walk back to the road, through calf-high grass, we flushed a wet hen out at about 5 feet.  There was a distinct bed where she'd spent the night.  My first instinct was "Nest ???".  But, there in the grass..........under the grass and trip briars........were somewhere between 8 and 10 peeps !!  Like, 1-2 week old peeps !!  Yellow and still kinda fuzzy with brown spots.  A few feathers starting.  About 1/2 to 2/3 the size of a bobwhite...... 2 or maybe 3 times the size of a turkey egg.

Never, EVER have I seen a brood even CLOSE to that small this late.   We've already had overnight temps in the mid 40's.........    They got a whole lotta growing to do real quick.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline RND1983

Re: Latest brood ever
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2021, 01:49:47 PM »
That’s crazy! Fingers crossed they make it.

Offline Turkeyman

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2021, 04:30:47 PM »
Personally, the latest I've ever encountered late hatched poults was Labor Day weekend several years ago. I was walking along and flushed them in a field...they could only flutter several yards so may have been about a week old or so.

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2021, 07:41:50 PM »
Yeah..........these ones weren't flying yet.  They've got a lot of growing to do and not much time left to do it.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline Tail Feathers

• Limbhanger
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2021, 09:11:14 PM »
Around here we have two more months before the average first frost.  They would make it here I bet.  Hope they make it there too.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Offline Bolandstrutters

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2021, 07:57:48 AM »
crazy!  wonder how many times shes renested?

Online bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2021, 11:53:20 AM »
Never heard of broods this late either.  What state you in Yoder?  This hen had to have been bred around the 4th of July to have poults this small in September.  I'm with the rest, I hope they ALL make it.

Offline GobbleGitr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2021, 01:23:21 PM »
Turkeys are amazing and resilient...pulling for every poult to finish the race to adulthood as we need the recruitment!

Offline Howie g

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2021, 06:47:53 PM »
Mother Nature has no set in stone rules . I to have seen a couple of very late hatches in my region also this year . One with only one poult and another with only 2 .

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2021, 09:25:18 PM »
  What state you in Yoder? 

I'm in west-central PA.  We're, potentially, 2-3 weeks away from our first frost here.  I've made snowballs in September before, so.........

Right now, the weather forecast is calling for mild temps for the next 2 weeks.  And it COULD stay mild for quite a good bit longer than that.   But it CAN go to crap in the blink of an eye, here.
PA elitist since 1979

Online bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2021, 06:41:07 AM »
  What state you in Yoder? 

I'm in west-central PA.  We're, potentially, 2-3 weeks away from our first frost here.  I've made snowballs in September before, so.........

Right now, the weather forecast is calling for mild temps for the next 2 weeks.  And it COULD stay mild for quite a good bit longer than that.   But it CAN go to crap in the blink of an eye, here.
With these fellas so small and you living in PA, with frost right around the corner, it will be hard to find protein (insects) if you have an early fall.  Growth and feathering is utmost on my mind before you get cold temps and possible early frost and snows.  Tough road ahead.  I pray for late frost and snow.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 06:54:00 AM by bbcoach »

Offline bossgobbler

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2021, 08:41:05 AM »
This is a pretty neat thread. I am fascinated by wild turkeys and especially turkey poults. I enjoy watching them and studying them as they grow. My opinion is that they’ll be just fine. Turkeys are very resilient. They battle a lot to get to adulthood and then everyday after that. I feel like these poults have a pretty good chance because of the amount of bugs that are active right now. Grasshoppers are abundant this time of year. For poults that are hatched earlier in the summer they don’t have as many grasshoppers to scoop up. If you walk through a field right now there are hundreds and thousands of grasshoppers available.

If they can scrounge up a lot of protein in the next month or two they’ll be good to go!

Can you monitor them? It would be a neat story to follow if you’re able to keep us updated on that little flock. Thanks for sharing!

Offline scattergun

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2021, 07:14:30 PM »
Based on what I've seen raising chickens and turkeys, they have a good chance of survival from the elements. A 1 month old bird is fairly well feathered, and by 2 months they should be about as warm as they are going to get. We always put them in the coup after about a month. They do fine after that. We did run heat lamps in the winter, but there were plenty of cold days in the fall with nothing.

I don't know what kinds of bugs turkeys will eat. There's no shortage of bugs here. Early summer was barren, but after a few good rains, they came back full force.

I'm thinking predators will be their biggest concern. As the tall grasses die off, they won't be able to hide. I don't know exactly when a turkey can fly, but I'm guessing it's somewhere around 1 1/2 to 2 months old when they get the bulk of their outer feathers. That's going to be into mid or late October, and the grass will be dying down before then.

Offline THattaway

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Worship the LORD, not His creation.
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2021, 07:58:48 AM »
Have seen poults here as late as July 28th and still had egg tooth. Have also seen poults without pin feathers as late as late August. As others have said already, tough for them to make it.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

“The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill.”-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2021, 09:34:19 PM »
  What state you in Yoder? 

With these fellas so small and you living in PA, with frost right around the corner, it will be hard to find protein (insects) if you have an early fall.  Growth and feathering is utmost on my mind before you get cold temps and possible early frost and snows.  Tough road ahead.  I pray for late frost and snow.

Well...........currently the 2 week forecast is calling for lows in the 60's save for one 45 and one 51.  It was 46 last week, one morning, so..........

Right now, the weather seems to be in the little buggers' favor.
PA elitist since 1979