OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Latest brood ever  (Read 2255 times)

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
Re: Latest brood ever
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2021, 09:41:50 PM »
This is a pretty neat thread. I am fascinated by wild turkeys and especially turkey poults. I enjoy watching them and studying them as they grow. My opinion is that they’ll be just fine. Turkeys are very resilient. They battle a lot to get to adulthood and then everyday after that. I feel like these poults have a pretty good chance because of the amount of bugs that are active right now. Grasshoppers are abundant this time of year. For poults that are hatched earlier in the summer they don’t have as many grasshoppers to scoop up. If you walk through a field right now there are hundreds and thousands of grasshoppers available.

If they can scrounge up a lot of protein in the next month or two they’ll be good to go!

Can you monitor them? It would be a neat story to follow if you’re able to keep us updated on that little flock. Thanks for sharing!

I wish there was a way to monitor them.  But there's a lot of woods.........and a lot of grass areas, too.  It would be total luck at this point to run into them again.

What's interesting...........or odd.........or crazy...........    Years ago (6-8) on a Labor Day weekend, we were cruising our property roads spotlighting for the kiddos to see deer.  Just happened to shine down in some timber and there was a doe 30-40 yards off the road licking off a newly dropped fawn !!!!    At that time I was running a lot of trail cameras.  After season I'd put out corn and take "inventory" of which bucks were still around, etc.  Well, that little booger made it !!!!  I had trailcam pics of it at a corn pile around Valentine's Day.  It was gray........like a winter deer is gray.......but still spotted !!!   I'd have never believed it.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2021, 08:42:56 PM »
Well................... Currently, toward the end of the 2 week forecast there's an overnight low temp of 37 degrees and 31 degrees.

Grow, yinz little boogers !!  GROOOOOOOWWWWWW !!!!!!!!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline scattergun

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2021, 07:09:43 PM »
They will handle freezing by then. I don't know about you, but this late rain has really greened things up. It's greener here now than it was in July by far. I wonder if that wont maintain later than a normal year.