OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: What's everyone been up to?  (Read 6380 times)

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
What's everyone been up to?
« on: July 17, 2021, 11:58:37 PM »
What's everyone doing to fill their time this Summer while you wait for Fall turkey or deer season to start and also wait for next Spring? I had surgery on my toe early this month and am trying to allow that to heal and hoping it will make it a bit easier and less painful to hunt this Fall and next Spring. I have also dove headlong into photography and have been trying to get better with that. Also hoping to get some fishing in once I can cover the toe up so the mosquitoes do not chew my digits off. Here are a few of my pictures, hope you enjoy.

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline derek

• The Boss Gobbler
    • The Bayside Legion
Re: What's everyone been up to?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2021, 01:34:05 AM »
Beautiful pics!   Aside from working a ton of overtime to make up for spring, my favorite off season activity is trotlining for Maryland blue crabs, particularly with my favorite crabbing partner.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Offline hotspur

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2021, 05:24:36 AM »
A little fishing in the basin. Turkey fan mount addition. Going  to refinish 870 20 ga for turkey season.

Offline Sixes

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2021, 05:26:18 AM »
I've been on a red fishing trip to Louisiana, a couple of inshore trips for trout out of Florida.

I got my daughter graduated from high school and she starts college next month, I had a birthday and have been hanging out around the pool, grilling and drinking beer with friends.

And somewhere along the way, I have torn something in my knee and have an appointment with the orthopedic this week to see what needs to be done.

Other than that, just working as usual and waiting on deer killing time.

Oh, I did have to replace my wife's SUV after a freak hail storm while she and my daughter were at the beach that left it totaled. It's not easy finding a vehicle and that took us nearly a month to get it settled with insurance and find a new vehicle.

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2021, 05:51:42 AM »
The usual................  Working.

I'm going into the last week of a 3 week vacation now.  Just been getting stuff done at home.  Mowing........maintenance.......firewood.........enjoying summer

Today I'm going to go visit a fellow some of you may know.  I'm kinda in need of another box call.  And he needs to do a little writing on a couple calls I got the last time I was at his place.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline ol bob

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2021, 10:03:11 AM »
Making a few calls, Have had some stop by the shop to talk turkey.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2021, 10:18:57 AM »
Nice pics. Been boating, fishing, just enjoying the summer lake life. Deer season right around the corner. Finally, getting ready for my muzzleloader Elk trip with my brother in Colorado in September. Be safe…..
“Solo hunter”

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2021, 11:00:28 AM »
Beautiful pics!   Aside from working a ton of overtime to make up for spring, my favorite off season activity is trotlining for Maryland blue crabs, particularly with my favorite crabbing partner.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
I would love to try that some day, never had anything fresh from the ocean before. I was supposed to have some lobster when I went to Maine to get some hunting dogs with the Mennonite I drive but that guy turned out to be a blowhard and ripped off my friend and many others. An ocean and snow capped mountains are something I would like to see in person (and photograph) before I die. Looks like the young lady is having fun.

A little fishing in the basin. Turkey fan mount addition. Going  to refinish 870 20 ga for turkey season.
Really looking forward to fishing some, tried going someplace outdoors but even with some Off on my foot I had bugs all over my toes, not a fun feeling. Hoping I am in a shoe in time for The NE Call Makers Summit at the end of August.

I've been on a red fishing trip to Louisiana, a couple of inshore trips for trout out of Florida.

I got my daughter graduated from high school and she starts college next month, I had a birthday and have been hanging out around the pool, grilling and drinking beer with friends.

And somewhere along the way, I have torn something in my knee and have an appointment with the orthopedic this week to see what needs to be done.

Other than that, just working as usual and waiting on deer killing time.

Oh, I did have to replace my wife's SUV after a freak hail storm while she and my daughter were at the beach that left it totaled. It's not easy finding a vehicle and that took us nearly a month to get it settled with insurance and find a new vehicle.

Happy birthday to you. I would like to fish the ocean, I said above that I would like to see an ocean but when you mentioned Louisiana I remembered I have seen the ocean, traveled into New Orleans several years back with a friend in a tractor trailer delivering fish there, Baton Rouge and other cities in LA and we traveled route 10 which goes over the ocean. Same trip we were in Baltimore and saw the ocean there as well. Funny how you forget until something jogs the memory. I still have never seen snow capped mountains or any mountains unless you count the Adirondack Mountains here in NY which are barely mountains and only have snow on them in the Winter and Early Spring. Make sure you take care of that knee, I have to have both of mine replaced and hope to have the first one done next month. Hoping to be ready in time for deer season but if I have to choose between losing deer or turkey I will give up deer. Hail can really do a job on a vehicle, hope they were not injured?

The usual................  Working.

I'm going into the last week of a 3 week vacation now.  Just been getting stuff done at home.  Mowing........maintenance.......firewood.........enjoying summer

Today I'm going to go visit a fellow some of you may know.  I'm kinda in need of another box call.  And he needs to do a little writing on a couple calls I got the last time I was at his place.
I have been doing what I can around here to pack for the probable move, never knew I had so much junk. The village yard sales are next weekend but I do not know if I can get anything out with my foot the way it is seeing that I live on the second floor. I miss doing firewood, my father worked construction and we would cut firewood from Spring through Fall and heat our house with some and then sell wood to help supplement the income when there was no work in the Winter in Western New York. I have had to curtail buying much, this move has me trying to save money, I am going to get two calls at The Northeast Call Makers Summit next month, but only two, I want to get a teardrop call from Jimmy Schaffer and a box pot from Jody Harrison at Preacherman Game Calls. I was hoping to get another call from Mr Watkins, but I have to save for the move. On the plus side if I end up being able to stay here I will be able to get myself a few calls or put the money towards the 60-600mm Sigma Sports lens I want to get for my camera.

Making a few calls, Have had some stop by the shop to talk turkey.

Always look forward to seeing your calls. I am working on another kit, well I have to start working on it, I got it in the other day and have to start with the sanding and all.

Nice pics. Been boating, fishing, just enjoying the summer lake life. Deer season right around the corner. Finally, getting ready for my muzzleloader Elk trip with my brother in Colorado in September. Be safe…..

Thank you. I live in the Finger Lakes Region of NY and am surrounded by lakes, just have not been able to fish because of my foot right now. I got a new sight for my bow, (new to me anyway) and ordered a new rest and am hoping to be able to use them this Fall. Elk are a dream, like calling a 1500lb. turkey in my mind. I was able to get a couple of nipples for my side slapper so I am looking forward to using that this year, my inline is still in OK I am rather upset with my sister, I sent her the money to send it back to me at CHRISTmas time and I keep getting excuses, I mean she fell and broke her arm at the shoulder but there are two boys and another sister that could help her get it shipped back to me and I am worried if she keeps waiting this administration will make it so I can never get it back. You and your brother have a grand time, I hope to see pictures if you get anything or not.

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Offline TrackeySauresRex

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2021, 11:46:12 AM »
Great photos! Just working and a little pool time. It’s been a lazy summer so far. I will get some fishing in soon. Enjoy All :^)
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2021, 12:03:35 PM »
When I got back from my Mexico Goulds trip, we moved into our new house. The wife and I bought a nice log cabin on acreage in Tennessee. We've been unpacking, buying furniture, decorating, etc. Our neighbors are turkeys, deer, rabbits, squirrels, songbirds and hummingbirds. It's been quite enjoyable living a laid back country lifestyle in the rolling hills and farm country, with creeks, rivers, waterfalls and mountain views. Tennessee beats the hell out of Florida, and living here is the closest thing to paradise that I've found.

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 07:51:45 PM by RutnNStrutn »

Offline Mossberg90MN

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2021, 12:10:15 PM »
Nice!! Those photos look good!

Working, reading Turkey books, shooting my bow in prep for the fall, and just got a boat so I’ve been doing some fishing, and thinking about/planning for next season.

Still got these birds on my mind 110% of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline eddie234

• Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2021, 12:20:18 PM »
Working, cutting grass, fishing, only have two more this to do on my “to do” list. Leaving for our beach vacation Friday.
After I get back it’ll be exercising and shooting the bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2021, 12:30:21 PM »
Great photos! Just working and a little pool time. It’s been a lazy summer so far. I will get some fishing in soon. Enjoy All :^)
Thank you, I have been taking a course online trying to learn how to use my settings correctly and to set up my photos better. I am hoping the doctor will tell me I can get into the pool on Tuesday when I see him, I got the stitches out last week but he told me to hold off for now. I have been driving the Mennonite a lot lately.

When I got back from my Mexico Goulds trip, we moved into our new house. The wife and I bought a nice log cabin on acreage in Tennessee. We've been unpacking, buying furniture, decorating, etc. Our neighbors are turkeys, deer, rabbits, squirrels, songbirds and hummingbirds. It's been quite enjoyable living a laid back country lifestyle in the rolling hills and farm country, with creeks, rivers, waterfalls and mountain views. Tennessee beats the hell out of Florida, and living here is the closest thing to paradise that I've found.

Man those are some great pictures and very pretty area. I have been in TN twice but have never really been able to stop but thought it was very pretty there. I really like that falls in the shape of a semi circle and of course the turkey and wildlife. I have never been to FL and if it were not for Osceola turkey I would not want to go there at all, just to warm.

Nice!! Those photos look good!

Working, reading Turkey books, shooting my bow in prep for the fall, and just got a boat so I’ve been doing some fishing, and thinking about/planning for next season.

Still got these birds on my mind 110% of the time.

Thank you, I have been doing an online course to learn to take better pictures. I got two new pair of glasses but I am having problems with them and have an appointment to have my eyes checked again. It is pretty bad when you can't read a street sign until you are about to turn onto the street itself. Also the reading glasses have been giving me issues, the print looks so thin, I was so looking forward to reading some of my turkey books, my old glasses were so badly scratched it was hard to read with them but the words on the page were bolder than they are with these new ones so I stopped last week and told them something was wrong with them so they are going to retest my eyes free of charge as well as replacing the lenses at no cost to me. I have been wanting to shoot the bow but I need to get to where I can wear some shoes before I can walk in the yard and shoot. I will be shooting both the recurve at tennis balls with judo points and the compound at targets. I hear you about having those birds on your mind, I get picked on for reading turkey books in the deer blind.

Working, cutting grass, fishing, only have two more this to do on my “to do” list. Leaving for our beach vacation Friday.
After I get back it’ll be exercising and shooting the bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I have been doing some very light weight lifting for my shoulders, left one is still tender and it has been two years since my last surgery on it I think. I can't wait to get back to doing some walking, sitting around is driving me nut-ier. I bought a use HHA single pin sight for my compound and a rest from the same company. As I have said above, I really want to get out and do some fishing, but the bugs won't leave my feet alone.

John Koenig:

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2021, 01:50:51 PM »

Man those are some great pictures and very pretty area. I have been in TN twice but have never really been able to stop but thought it was very pretty there. I really like that falls in the shape of a semi circle and of course the turkey and wildlife. I have never been to FL and if it were not for Osceola turkey I would not want to go there at all, just to warm.

Can't blame you. I'm not planning on going back to FLA unless I'm visiting family. Moving to Tennessee is the best thing I've ever done. The scenery, the weather, the wildlife, the friendliness of the people, you can't beat it!!

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2021, 03:33:42 PM »
Gigging frogs and catching flatheads. Putting up vegetables. Canning. And today I bronzed some turkey feet.