OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How do gobblers keep cool?

Started by Paulmyr, July 23, 2021, 10:06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulmyr

Had these guys feeding in the yard at the cabin. They would walk around picking with thier wings out away from thier bodies.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Paulmyr

Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

jed clampett

Dtrkyman

I have seen them laying around in the shade under a tree top a few times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimspur

I've seen them with their mouths (beak) open. I'm assuming it's like
a dog panting.

WV Flopper

Lawn chairs in the shade, 6 pack of beer,  and a swimming hole near by. "They can't drink much beer."

Like the picture of the turkey hunkered down with its wings out. The women's chickens do that all the time. I do think they are trying to cool their selves while doing that.

Crghss

From the internet....

What do turkeys do when its hot?
As such, their activity and exertion levels decrease as temperatures warm. It's not uncommon to see turkeys panting or spreading their wings to lose excess heat when they're active during hot weather. That behavior has obvious effects on hunting. Birds might not talk much after flydown.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

3bailey3

cool pics, i watched a gobbler lay down in the shade one hot spring day, 3 hens stood beside him!

AndyH

I've seen them standing under a single young pine with only 3 ft of shade panting like a dog on a hot spring day in south Florida

Jim K

I see them "panting" also and watched a hen lift her wings away from her body also.

Cowboy

Yep. They pant. Beaks open. Get in the shade. Open up wings to let heat out from body. When I was a kid, are chickens would do this in the hot summer.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Meleagris gallopavo

I put mine in the freezer to keep them cool.

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Yoder409

Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on July 25, 2021, 07:17:13 AM
I put mine in the freezer to keep them cool.

DANG it !!!   Ya beat me to it.

:TooFunny:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Greg Massey