turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Confessions of call collectors

Started by Meleagris gallopavo, July 07, 2021, 07:10:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meleagris gallopavo

In an effort to try to justify, feel better about myself, or find comfort in not being alone in my obsessions, I'd like to know how many of you collect turkey calls.  I know some of you do.  I have been susceptible to collecting things all my life, it's just part of who I am.  So right now I have 21 pot calls and 85 one piece strikers (I really like one piece strikers).  I hunt with most all my calls each year, but mostly the newest purchases.  I have my favorites and I have some I don't like that much, but I really don't care to sell any of them.  I'm picky about what I like and who I buy from.  I tend to stick to call makers that are OG members and get recommended a lot.  Every now and then I'll venture out and get a call from a call maker that's not on OG but has been highly recommended by OG members.  I enjoy collecting calls and seeing calls and strikers posted on OG.  That's it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Tom007

Your not alone. I too love to collect turkey calls. Unfortunately, my obsession has bled into collecting turkey guns, vests, turkey clothing and pretty much everything tied into our passion. I really do enjoy it all......be safe.
"Solo hunter"

Bedge7767

I've been known to buy calls and I'm always looking for more. There's a bunch of us on here. I've made friends with some great guys who have the same problem as me.
Jim

HookedonHooks

You're certainly not alone around here. It's a real sickness. If it makes you feel better about yourself, I have more than 21 pot calls from each of most of the makers I collect. And almost as many Lonzo's alone as you have one piece strikers.

You've just got started it sounds like. Lot of like minded folk around here though.

hotspur

The worst calling I e heard came from turkeys

ol bob

I know I have it bad, I have a safe I keep calls in.

Greg Massey

Collecting calls is a passion that i really enjoy. I also have few guns, calls and other items relating to turkey hunting. I pretty much buy and play calls year round.

Yoder409

I like to refer to myself as an "accumulator" rather than a "collector".  To me.........a collector has more of a vision or a purpose or a theme to what he does.  Me ??  Box calls just keep showing up at my house like stray dogs to the butcher shop's back door.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Mossberg90MN

So I'm not exactly a "call collector" but I'm just always buying Turkey calls. So I'm an accidental collector hahah

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: Yoder409 on July 07, 2021, 09:34:41 AM
I like to refer to myself as an "accumulator" rather than a "collector".  To me.........a collector has more of a vision or a purpose or a theme to what he does.  Me ??  Box calls just keep showing up at my house like stray dogs to the butcher shop's back door.
Ha!  I like that!  I'm about 50% collector and 50% accumulator.  I have a purpose to acquiring some calls and some calls are impulse buys.

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Sir-diealot

I prefer one piece strikers myself, for one I am a klutz and they are not as easy to break as two piece strikers. Also with my hand problems they tend to be more comfortable for me to hold. I have purchased from several members here and intend to buy from others. Kinda bummed I won't be able to spend much at the NE Call Makers Summit, but have to save in case I am forced to move. I do intend to pick up a teardrop call from Jimmy Schaffer and if I can swing it I want to get one of those box pot calls from Jody @ Preacher Man Game Calls. When I got here I think I had 3 or 4 calls, now I am close to 100 I think, it is something I intend to keep up with, I like all the different woods and reading about the regions they come from and meeting or talking on the phone with the call makers. I am not much for selling myself though I did give a couple of calls away to some kids over the last 2 years, something I think I will continue to do.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Tom007

Quote from: Sir-diealot on July 07, 2021, 05:46:43 PM
I prefer one piece strikers myself, for one I am a klutz and they are not as easy to break as two piece strikers. Also with my hand problems they tend to be more comfortable for me to hold. I have purchased from several members here and intend to buy from others. Kinda bummed I won't be able to spend much at the NE Call Makers Summit, but have to save in case I am forced to move. I do intend to pick up a teardrop call from Jimmy Schaffer and if I can swing it I want to get one of those box pot calls from Jody @ Preacher Man Game Calls. When I got here I think I had 3 or 4 calls, now I am close to 100 I think, it is something I intend to keep up with, I like all the different woods and reading about the regions they come from and meeting or talking on the phone with the call makers. I am not much for selling myself though I did give a couple of calls away to some kids over the last 2 years, something I think I will continue to do.

Nice gesture to the kids Steve, congrats...
"Solo hunter"

davisd9

Only calls I collect are trumpets. Any that I buy are used and used more than once if possible.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Tail Feathers

I've accumulated a fair number of calls over the years.  A couple are more decorative than hunting quality but most all of them have been to the spring woods with me.
I have some beautiful trumpets and wingbones that I can't play worth a hoot.  I should start practicing now and see if I can make myself good enough with them to hunt with them next spring.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Zobo

This is how I know I'm getting bad: My brother asked if I wanted to go to a NBA game with him and during the game I kept thinking to myself:  for this seat I could have ordered a new Steve Mann field grade short box and maybe another Cox tulipwood striker!
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14