OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Cutting and rethreading barrel  (Read 3342 times)

Offline Paulmyr

• Longbeard
Cutting and rethreading barrel
« on: June 19, 2021, 12:17:53 AM »
Any of you guys had this done. I have a stoeger 3500. Apperently the extended choke and barrel where it screws in is bent. It's shooting about  a foot high at 25 yds. It fell over while getting a pic of harvested gobbler. I heard a pretty good clank but thought it was the forearm hitting something. Don't ask how I know it wasn't the forearm hitting. Any how I was thinking of cutting the barrel and rethreading for dedicated turkey barrel. It's my shoot everything gun. looking at comp and choke to do the work. Is it worth it or should I just buy new barrels for $185 a piece?
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Offline rakkin6

• Longbeard
Re: Cutting and rethreading barrel
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2021, 06:07:05 AM »
Any of you guys had this done. I have a stoeger 3500. Apperently the extended choke and barrel where it screws in is bent. It's shooting about  a foot high at 25 yds. It fell over while getting a pic of harvested gobbler. I heard a pretty good clank but thought it was the forearm hitting something. Don't ask how I know it wasn't the forearm hitting. Any how I was thinking of cutting the barrel and rethreading for dedicated turkey barrel. It's my shoot everything gun. looking at comp and choke to do the work. Is it worth it or should I just buy new barrels for $185 a piece?
Contact William at Sumtoy, never had him cut a barrel for me but have had prior experience with him and he is good. I know other people have had him work on their barrels and have high praise for him in this area.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2021, 06:17:17 AM »
I done something similar and bent a barrel on an O/U several years ago. I had it cut off 1.5" and threaded for choke tubes and it has been just fine for years now. I use it in the dove fields and have shot 100s of rounds and gotten it pretty warm. Yes, I would do it. An old friend who restored old doubles done mine, but there are some good suggestions in previous post. The last gun work I had done was last year. I had new firing pins made for an old classic at Alhmans in Minn. and they done excellent work.

https://ahlmans.com/

Offline Franklin7x57

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2021, 06:43:00 AM »
not an expert, but do read a lot. It's been said that the reason some guns shoot high is the magazine tube is bent, not the barrel. I would think that got bent in the fall rather than the barrel.

Offline lowoctane

• Longbeard
  • “When I die, then I’ll be old.”
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2021, 07:17:56 AM »
not an expert, but do read a lot. It's been said that the reason some guns shoot high is the magazine tube is bent, not the barrel. I would think that got bent in the fall rather than the barrel.

X2!
I’m Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Offline BINK McCARTY

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Beak first in th' dirt...
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2021, 07:28:39 AM »
Here's something to consider...if you have more than one choke for this gun (should be Beretta/ Benelli-Mobil threads) then you may want to opt for a new factory barrel. Reason being is when a barrel is cut & re-threaded it's not going to be in the Mobil threads, it will most likely be a Win-choke, Rem-choke ,or Tru-choke style. Then, that puts you having to buy all new choke tubes. If you do decide to cut & re-thread the barrel Comp-N-Choke is a great choice. Whatever you decide to do, please keep us in the loop ,and good luck!!!

Online Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2021, 07:46:53 AM »

My godson had comp-n-choke cut and retread his Benelli nova from 28 to 23 inches and rethread to shorter Winchoke threads. It patterns real good. He just didn’t like the long barrel.
“Solo hunter”

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2021, 09:02:25 AM »
Here's something to consider...if you have more than one choke for this gun (should be Beretta/ Benelli-Mobil threads) then you may want to opt for a new factory barrel. Reason being is when a barrel is cut & re-threaded it's not going to be in the Mobil threads, it will most likely be a Win-choke, Rem-choke ,or Tru-choke style. Then, that puts you having to buy all new choke tubes. If you do decide to cut & re-thread the barrel Comp-N-Choke is a great choice. Whatever you decide to do, please keep us in the loop ,and good luck!!!

very good point, and true

Offline SumToy

• Double Beard
    • sumtoycustoms
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2021, 11:14:36 AM »
UNLESS you see a bend in the barrel cutting it off and re-threading will not fix.   It sounds like it bent the shell tube. (weakest link)  We thread them but the guys at CNC do good work also.     One thing to think about is the barrel will probably end up a different thread.   Only problem with that is if you have a lot of chokes.

PS I know a guy that builds chokes.  :toothy9:   
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Offline Paulmyr

• Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2021, 11:37:31 AM »
Thanks for the input guys. The reason I'm thinking the bend is at the choke tube area is originally it was shooting just high. After removing extended turkey choke and shooting standard full it shot high as well. After putting extended turkey choke back in it shoots high and 6-8" left now. Definitely will have to verify where the bend is before doing the work. Thanks again.

“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2021, 12:37:37 PM »
IMO.. if i had a gun shooting off that bad, i would never feel comfortable taking that gun out in the field .. i would trade it off.. IMO...

Offline Paulmyr

• Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2021, 12:53:25 PM »
The replies here got me to thinking. it's possible both the magazine tube and the extended turkey choke could be bent. I have access to another 3500. I'll have to do some barrel swapping to try a narrow down the possibilities. The plan is to have 2 barrels. One shorter for turkey hunting and one 28" for mostly waterfowl.  Buy a new 28" and cut/rethread the existing one if bent. Magazine tubes are not that expensive. It may turn out to be as simple as replacing magazine tube and turkey choke.
Thanks for the reply Greg. Definitely right now there is zero confidence in the gun. I don't think I'll have a problem with the confidence if I can narrow the search for the problem and it shoots well after the fixes.

Offline Roost 1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2021, 04:03:52 PM »
I’d recommend Steve Rose @ Rose Action Sports, he had cut and re-threaded over 1300 barrels. He advertises on gunbroker.  I can give anyone his contact  info…..

FWIW: comp n choke has had my barrel since May 5 and still haven’t touched it.
I’ll never recommend them to anyone I don’t care how good of a job he does.
He told me it would be a 3 week turnaround and I understand things happen but he assured I’d have my barrel this week guess??? Still hasn’t cut it. I can’t believe he’s building that many chokes more likely bass fishing or on vacation.

Offline SumToy

• Double Beard
    • sumtoycustoms
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2021, 09:23:47 AM »
Thanks for the input guys. The reason I'm thinking the bend is at the choke tube area is originally it was shooting just high. After removing extended turkey choke and shooting standard full it shot high as well. After putting extended turkey choke back in it shoots high and 6-8" left now. Definitely will have to verify where the bend is before doing the work. Thanks again.

I would try a new choke or see if someone has one you can try.    If stock choke shoots it sounds like the turkey choke is the problem. 
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 02:49:34 PM by SumToy »
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Offline Paulmyr

• Longbeard
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2021, 10:44:49 AM »
 :agreed:

I would try a new choke or see if some has one you can try.    If stock choke shoots it sounds like the turkey choke is the problem.

The standard full choke shoots high as well. After putting turkey choke back in it shoots high and to the left now. I figure I tightened the turkey choke a little tighter than when it was shooting just high. I'll try to get it figured out this weekend by swapping barrels and chokes with a different 3500