OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: How many extra shells do you carry?  (Read 5648 times)

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
Re: How many extra shells do you carry?
« Reply #75 on: June 10, 2021, 03:45:35 PM »
Depends on how many drones I am encountering. I have already successfully gunned down one of my old neighbors remote controlled planes. A drone would look good on my resume as well. And yes he dared me to try it after I joked about it when he was buzzing my house. Just before anyone gets too worked up.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline Turkeyman

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #76 on: June 10, 2021, 04:25:08 PM »
My gun is plugged for a three shell limit to be legal in some of the states I hunt. I carry three extra shells. If I would happen to go through those six shells sans bird I deserve to quit for the day!! I would most likely beat the top of my head with the barrel for being an idiot.

Offline THattaway

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Worship the LORD, not His creation.
« Reply #77 on: June 10, 2021, 06:16:17 PM »
I carry a full magazine in the gun and 5 extra, so ten normally. Have had things go sideways years ago in lead days and killed with 4th shot a couple times. Having extras makes me feel better maybe or old habits. Rarely use more than one these days but I still miss one every third year or so. I’ve watched a fella recently empty his plugged gum and heard a deafening “click” when the Tom stopped and looked back while still in good range. He sure wished he’d had 5 in the gun.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

“The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill.”-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Offline saltysenior

« Reply #78 on: June 10, 2021, 06:42:31 PM »
  I use to carry four, but now with the woods full of robbers , metheads , wild boars , poachers , snakes , bigfoots, mountain lions and panthers, pot growers . and a possible aggressive nymphomaniac , I'll now carry a dozen , plus my .44 and a .38 Derringer in my combat boots...
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 06:54:42 PM by saltysenior »

Offline Southerngobbler

« Reply #79 on: June 10, 2021, 08:15:12 PM »
  I use to carry four, but now with the woods full of robbers , metheads , wild boars , poachers , snakes , bigfoots, mountain lions and panthers, pot growers . and a possible aggressive nymphomaniac , I'll now carry a dozen , plus my .44 and a .38 Derringer in my combat boots...
Where was the nymphomaniac reported to be? Asking for a friend.

Offline BigSlam51

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #80 on: June 10, 2021, 08:17:28 PM »
Depends on how many drones I am encountering. I have already successfully gunned down one of my old neighbors remote controlled planes. A drone would look good on my resume as well. And yes he dared me to try it after I joked about it when he was buzzing my house. Just before anyone gets too worked up.

I'd dare you to shoot mine too, it's a FAA registered aircraft and you don't own the air above your house. Before you get all worked up, I don't hover over people's dwellings, I simply fly over them from time to time on my way to the destination.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #81 on: June 10, 2021, 08:43:55 PM »
It was a joke between us. He is a multi- millionaire and kept buzzing our house. I joked that one day I was gonna bring it down and he said "give it your best shot". A few days later he was doing it again. I called him and told him it was about to be game on. He chuckled and said "go ahead and try". At least he laughed about it as hard as I did. He is a good guy and we are friends to this day.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline Neill_Prater

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #82 on: June 10, 2021, 08:57:26 PM »
Three in the gun, semiautomatic, and one in my pants pocket. Why in my pants pocket? Glad you asked.

Many years ago I sat up on the edge of a field in Kansas and was doing some intermittent calling. After maybe an hour, I spotted a gobbler approaching from my right. Eased the gun up, and when he periscoped at what I thought was about 40 yards, I touched her off.

He went down, but I immediately knew he wasn't a dead bird. I jumped up and he looked like he was a football field away! I had totally lost my depth perception sitting on the ground.

I immediately shot again. Yow, I know, should have closed the distance first, but panicked. I took off trotting his way, and when I got maybe 35 yards from the bird which was now attempting to exit the scene, I took careful aim and pulled the trigger. Nothing. Last shell didn't feed.

I start towards the bird again, working the action as I ran. Took aim again. Click! I had inadvertently ejected the shell into the grass. No problem, I had more shells in my vest. The same vest that was lying on the ground where I was set up!

Eventually, after several failed attempts, I managed to get ahold of the wounded bird, but I never forgot the lesson. Always keep a shell in your pants pocket, because it is unlikely you won't have them on while chasing a turkey.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Offline roberthyman14

« Reply #83 on: June 10, 2021, 09:19:08 PM »
4 in gun and 4 or 5 in vest.   Pigs, coyotes and snakes.  Gotta have ammo with you

Prostaff member for Old Crow Custom Calls

Offline ChiefBubba

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #84 on: June 10, 2021, 10:34:07 PM »
I hunt Florida and SC. Few years ago while deer hunting a field nice doe comes out right about sunset I drop her where she stands. At the time I only carried 3 or 4 shells. Buddy text me and I told him I had a doe down and was walking out to find her before it got too dark. Just as I'm walking up to her I'm about 75 or 50 yards from her my buddy shoots a really nice 8 pt. My deer jumps up on her front leg's and starts take off. Man can these things move when wounded. I had I guess spine shot her and crippled her and she laid there until I showed up. So in my haste I fire again not sure if I hit her or not because by now I'm looking directly into a setting sun. Fire 3rd and last shot and she's still headed for the edge of the woods. She was losing energy fast and I was able to catch up to her and had to finish with my 9.

After that I said never again. Thought about it and now carry whatever the gun holds and for Turkeys I carry 10 more usually a mix between Turkey shot and a couple of Bird shot or 6s.
For deer I carry the same 10 extra besides the 5 in the gun carry the other 10 from the box in my backpack. Plus my EDC.
Why so many you ask? Well in Florida we have everything from Hog's to coyotes. SC on the farm we have coyotes and a bad wild dog problem so don't really want to blow all my ammo on them and not be able to shoot my Turkey or deer. Bubba

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #85 on: June 10, 2021, 11:11:48 PM »
I hunt Florida and SC. Few years ago while deer hunting a field nice doe comes out right about sunset I drop her where she stands. At the time I only carried 3 or 4 shells. Buddy text me and I told him I had a doe down and was walking out to find her before it got too dark. Just as I'm walking up to her I'm about 75 or 50 yards from her my buddy shoots a really nice 8 pt. My deer jumps up on her front leg's and starts take off. Man can these things move when wounded. I had I guess spine shot her and crippled her and she laid there until I showed up. So in my haste I fire again not sure if I hit her or not because by now I'm looking directly into a setting sun. Fire 3rd and last shot and she's still headed for the edge of the woods. She was losing energy fast and I was able to catch up to her and had to finish with my 9.

After that I said never again. Thought about it and now carry whatever the gun holds and for Turkeys I carry 10 more usually a mix between Turkey shot and a couple of Bird shot or 6s.
For deer I carry the same 10 extra besides the 5 in the gun carry the other 10 from the box in my backpack. Plus my EDC.
Why so many you ask? Well in Florida we have everything from Hog's to coyotes. SC on the farm we have coyotes and a bad wild dog problem so don't really want to blow all my ammo on them and not be able to shoot my Turkey or deer. Bubba
Sounds like you need to move to an AR10 platform for deer season and a DP12 or KSG for turkey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ChiefBubba

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #86 on: June 10, 2021, 11:15:28 PM »

Sounds like you need to move to an AR10 platform for deer season and a DP12 or KSG for turkey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know what you mean lol ???? I really should carry both while Turkey hunt but that’s just too much. Bubba

Offline bigbird

• Longbeard
« Reply #87 on: June 11, 2021, 06:36:35 AM »
I’m usually lucky to have all 3 in the gun lol. But typically I just have the 3 that my gun holds.