Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

If you could get 150 with Lead #5's, would you even bother with HTL?

Started by 3" 870 Shell Shucker, May 31, 2011, 06:56:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Longshanks

Quote from: Old Gobbler on June 02, 2011, 08:28:56 AM
Not sure what others were doing with lead

I got 170-180 with Nickel plated Lead  #5's for years Nitro 101L, that was my go to load out of my SP10 , and trust me it was very good stuff -When the HShot was made available I tried it , It worked even better and out of the lighter recoil 2.25 load it was a simple shot material swap

The HS loads penetration was significantly improved over lead , but like mentioned its a matter of preference . I feel HS shoots tighter , but that is going to cut way down on your fudge factor {aim}, as soon as the  popularity of HS came about  , the increase in the use of sighting aids soon followed -In my opinion ,this was born out of necessity because of the very tight patterns and the rising trend  of ultra tight shooting chokes  

I can go out in the woods with no hesitation and have a good season with just lead again if needed, it don't bother me one bit

Nitro shells are not exactly the same thing as the Lead shells mentioned in this thread people are buying off of the shelves in their local sporting goods store and wal mart.  That is extremely hot custom ammunition by nitro with a tremendous amount of testing behind it..  Not to mention the cost of Nitro nickel plated lead shot shells.. they are a step above factory production shells.  Factory production shells and nitro shells are definately two different animals. Just letting the folks know that if you try to achieve the numbers 170-180 with 5's out of factory production shells..it wont happen. Your shoulder will fall off before you get there.. :)

I still hunt with lead on an occasion in tight areas where the woods are thick and the shots are less than 30yds in most cases and also with taking new hunters out.. The patterns are bigger and i signal them when to shoot as to make sure the turkey is within killing distance.  Lead is certainly not dead but i definately pull out the old school tactics when i am hunting with it..set up a little different so when the turkey appears he is in gun range, etc.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Anyone on here that lives close to southeast MO and has a gun that will shoot lead factory #6 loads(forget the 5's which would make it even tougher that will shoot patterns of even 160 or better in a 10" at 40yds consistently I would personally like to see it for myself.  Heck I would like to see a factory gun that has had no work to it shoot lead 6's with 150 shot consistently in a 10" at a true 40yds tape measured.  I got the tape, the 10" glass cutout, and I got the range.  All you need is to pm me and bring your gun and shells.  Show-Me in person and I will come on here firsthand and say I seen it for myself.  

No harm no foul.  I just want to see it that's all. 

Longshanks

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on June 02, 2011, 01:17:36 PM
Anyone on here that lives close to southeast MO and has a gun that will shoot lead factory #6 loads(forget the 5's which would make it even tougher that will shoot patterns of even 160 or better in a 10" at 40yds consistently I would personally like to see it for myself.  Heck I would like to see a factory gun that has had no work to it shoot lead 6's with 150 shot consistently in a 10" at a true 40yds tape measured.  I got the tape, the 10" glass cutout, and I got the range.  All you need is to pm me and bring your gun and shells.  Show-Me in person and I will come on here firsthand and say I seen it for myself.  

No harm no foul.  I just want to see it that's all.  

Gonna have to agree with you ILIKEHEVI-13. I have been shooting the lead slinger for allot of years.  Brownings, Rem 870's,1100's,  Berettas, etc.  Guns that have everything possible done to them that you can do. Polished barrels, polished forcing cones, etc..  Numerous chokes (Pure Gold, Kicks, Rhino, Hastings, Comp-in-choke, Primos, M.A.D,etc  and  just about every factory shell you could imagine in lead.  I have not seen the numbers 150-170 at 40yds. For the first time i got 150's at 35 yds with 6's the other day going back to a shell i shot years ago 3/2/6.  I have seen allot of guns patterned as well and i have never seen a leadslinger come close to what some of the guys on here are able to pull off.  I know for sure after 35 years of patterning guns i will never be able to turn those numbers with lead 5's. I would just like to see it..

I hear of folks handloading shells with minimal amount of experience and all of a sudden their lead loads out perform and are more consistent than anything factories can produce. Something seems strange about that.   Maybe im a little cynical but i have never seen what allot of people claim.

mossy835

Quote from: bird on May 31, 2011, 09:25:58 AM
One thought runs through my mind is that I believe that lead will eventually become obsolete and any attempt to continue to pattern or use lead shells is a waste of time.  Lead will become obsolete primarily because of 2 reasons.  First being technology with the nontoxic loads and the ever increasing pressure that lead will eventually become banned as a shot shell component.
I have to agree with Bird the thought here was lead will always be around for us to shoot. That may be at the range and club shooting areas. But the reality out here is hunting areas are already being shut down on lead including some Police indoor ranges (full jacketed rounds only). It is a matter of time just like no lead in paint. I like the lower prices of lead also before you flame me but I am also glad there is a live and well performing alternative on the streets. I do wish the prices were better and that should happen with supply and demand in the future.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: Longshanks on June 02, 2011, 02:21:15 PM
Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on June 02, 2011, 01:17:36 PM

No harm no foul.  I just want to see it that's all.  

Gonna have to agree with you ILIKEHEVI-13. I have been shooting the lead slinger for allot of years.  Brownings, Rem 870's,1100's,  Berettas, etc.  Guns that have everything possible done to them that you can do. Polished barrels, polished forcing cones, etc..  Numerous chokes (Pure Gold, Kicks, Rhino, Hastings, Comp-in-choke, Primos, M.A.D,etc  and  just about every factory shell you could imagine in lead.  I have not seen the numbers 150-170 at 40yds. For the first time i got 150's at 35 yds with 6's the other day going back to a shell i shot years ago 3/2/6.  I have seen allot of guns patterned as well and i have never seen a leadslinger come close to what some of the guys on here are able to pull off.  I know for sure after 35 years of patterning guns i will never be able to turn those numbers with lead 5's. I would just like to see it..

I hear of folks handloading shells with minimal amount of experience and all of a sudden their lead loads out perform and are more consistent than anything factories can produce. Something seems strange about that.   Maybe im a little cynical but i have never seen what allot of people claim.

I hear ya.  Same here.  I'm the type of person that if I can do something and do it consistently and someone doubts me and wants to see it for themself I'm going to oblige especially if I know I can do it. 

Seeing is believing!  My Moss 835 shoots very good lead patterns and I do believe it shoots right with the best like I stated earlier.  It won't shoot 150 10" patterns at 40yds consistently with any lead loads that I know of and believe me I have tried them all pretty much.  But then again I'm not the one saying I can do it like some. 

I'm still waiting for someone on here to be kind enough to show me their miracle lead shooter. 

bird

Quote from: mossy835 on June 02, 2011, 03:38:51 PM
Quote from: bird on May 31, 2011, 09:25:58 AM
One thought runs through my mind is that I believe that lead will eventually become obsolete and any attempt to continue to pattern or use lead shells is a waste of time.  Lead will become obsolete primarily because of 2 reasons.  First being technology with the nontoxic loads and the ever increasing pressure that lead will eventually become banned as a shot shell component.
I have to agree with Bird the thought here was lead will always be around for us to shoot. That may be at the range and club shooting areas. But the reality out here is hunting areas are already being shut down on lead including some Police indoor ranges (full jacketed rounds only). It is a matter of time just like no lead in paint. I like the lower prices of lead also before you flame me but I am also glad there is a live and well performing alternative on the streets. I do wish the prices were better and that should happen with supply and demand in the future.

Finally.... Someone that understands what I was getting at. 

Thank You

bird

ncmountainfella

Hey Hevi, I don't have time for a trip to Missouri, but I do have your miracle lead thrower!!! Do I have to go in the field and shoot 10 of these to prove consistence. LOL!!! Just believe me. I will never lie ya bro.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: ncmountainfella on June 02, 2011, 07:09:42 PM
Hey Hevi, I don't have time for a trip to Missouri, but I do have your miracle lead thrower!!! Do I have to go in the field and shoot 10 of these to prove consistence. LOL!!! Just believe me. I will never lie ya bro.

I'm sorry but I would like to see it for myself.  Some may doubt the loads I post, and that is fine and I do understand.  Like I said seeing is believing.  I have shot those same loads in my 835.  It won't come anywhere close to the 200 mark, but it will consistently beat a lot of great shooting guns.  I don't claim it to be the best shooting gun out there, but it will put a many gun to shame on the patterning board that claims to be better. 

Longshanks

The perfect storm...hang on to that gun..looks like a 30yd pattern in most lead slingers.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: Longshanks on June 02, 2011, 09:35:36 PM

The perfect storm...hang on to that gun..

I agree!

My guns or anybody elses don't have a prayer.  Who needs Hevi-Shot? 

ncmountainfella

Hey Hevi, I love my set up, but I couldn't put but 150 pellets in a 10" circle with a 3.5" Magnum Blend. My gun just wont shoot them. The pattern you posted with your 870, pure gold, and 3" hevi shot #7s was amazing! I would give an eye tooth to do that!

ILIKEHEVI-13

Well this has been my best 10" pattern so far.  I shot one with the Pure Gold and the same lot# load on the very next shot after this one that was almost as good.  The 835 will stack the 7's with a good lot number.  This was lot 300325.  Some may not believe those numbers.  And that is fine.  But I would be willing to show anyone that the 835 and the Star Dot choke will easily put 300 shot or more its fair share of times in a 10" circle at a tape measured 40yds with these loads.  This is why I don't shoot lead.   :lol:

ncmountainfella

I have a older mossberg 835. My barrel length is 24". The choke is a pure gold choke with .670 restriction. Nothing done to barrel, just the trigger pull reduced to 3 lbs, which is nice with a tight turkey load.

ncmountainfella

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on June 02, 2011, 10:34:09 PM
Well this has been my best 10" pattern so far.  I shot one with the Pure Gold and the same lot# load on the very next shot after this one that was almost as good.  The 835 will stack the 7's with a good lot number.  This was lot 300325.  Some may not believe those numbers.  And that is fine.  But I would be willing to show anyone that the 835 and the Star Dot choke will easily put 300 shot or more its fair share of times in a 10" circle at a tape measured 40yds with these loads.  This is why I don't shoot lead.   :lol:

Dude! That is crazy AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is bad to the bone!!!! Dude!!

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: ncmountainfella on June 02, 2011, 10:01:23 PM
Hey Hevi, I love my set up, but I couldn't put but 150 pellets in a 10" circle with a 3.5" Magnum Blend. My gun just wont shoot them. The pattern you posted with your 870, pure gold, and 3" hevi shot #7s was amazing! I would give an eye tooth to do that!

I think your referring to this one.  That ain't bad for a 8.5"x11" piece of paper.