Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

If you could get 150 with Lead #5's, would you even bother with HTL?

Started by 3" 870 Shell Shucker, May 31, 2011, 06:56:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

3" 870 Shell Shucker

ILIKEHEVI-13

Yes.  Most shotguns including the Moss 835 or 10GA for that matter won't even give you 150 consistently anyway at a true 40yds in a true 10" though.  Sure there will be people who say they can or have one, but I haven't seen it done.  I know my 835 won't do it.  And it shoots as good as any I have seen.  And I'm talking about lead 6 loads too.  

sugarray

Yes, I want 200 at 40 at a minimum.  Really covers that head and neck well. 

Britton40

Quote from:  link=topic=10471.msg120652#msg120652 date=1306847600
I spend way too much money, work too hard, and don't get enough chances at a turkey each season to affording being cheap and skimping to save a buck or two at the moment of truth.

:z-winnersmiley:

bird

One thought runs through my mind is that I believe that lead will eventually become obsolete and any attempt to continue to pattern or use lead shells is a waste of time.  Lead will become obsolete primarily because of 2 reasons.  First being technology with the nontoxic loads and the ever increasing pressure that lead will eventually become banned as a shot shell component.

R AJ

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on May 31, 2011, 08:00:43 AM
Yes.  Most shotguns including the Moss 835 or 10GA for that matter won't even give you 150 consistently anyway at a true 40yds in a true 10" though.  Sure there will be people who say they can or have one, but I haven't seen it done.  I know my 835 won't do it.  And it shoots as good as any I have seen.  And I'm talking about lead 6 loads too.  
You just stated that if you could get 150 #5s .... so are you making your own conversation or just wanting to post your own contrasting debate?
If I could get 100 #5s in a 10" at 40 yards there would be no need for HTL.

R AJ

Quote from: bird on May 31, 2011, 09:25:58 AM
One thought runs through my mind is that I believe that lead will eventually become obsolete and any attempt to continue to pattern or use lead shells is a waste of time.  Lead will become obsolete primarily because of 2 reasons.  First being technology with the nontoxic loads and the ever increasing pressure that lead will eventually become banned as a shot shell component.

So if you are over 65 lets say , and have several boxes of lead that has killed birds all your life you should throw them away and buy up some HTL because one day lead may become obsolete? Not hardly .

bird

Quote from: RAJ on May 31, 2011, 12:09:45 PM
Quote from: bird on May 31, 2011, 09:25:58 AM

So if you are over 65 lets say , and have several boxes of lead that has killed birds all your life you should throw them away and buy up some HTL because one day lead may become obsolete? Not hardly .

Your talking hypothetical RAJ.... I don't have several boxes of lead and am not interested in purchasing any lead for the reasons I stated above. 

bird

TauntoHawk

dont plan on going back to lead, besides price there is no advantage to lead

I spent hundreds of dollars just in gas this season, why should i worry about a few extra bucks on my shells
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

stinkpickle

I would use 'em.  Actually, if I could consistently get a whole 2oz payload of #5's in a 20" circle at 40 yards, launched at a decent velocity, why not?

Fastcat

If I could maintain 150 in a 10" at forty yards I would not personally have any use for HTL. I have always appreciated the terminal effects of lead. Copper plated lead expands and makes fairly large holes in soft tissue like a breast or chest vitals.

stinkpickle

Quote from: 2ounce6s on May 31, 2011, 02:48:06 PM
Quote from: stinkpickle on May 31, 2011, 12:51:43 PM
I would use 'em.  Actually, if I could consistently get a whole 2oz payload of #5's in a 20" circle at 40 yards, launched at a decent velocity, why not?
If I could do that I'd have never even tried hevi, just the truth of the matter. #5s served me well for a long time and had Federal not stopped making the old style wad Premium loads........

True dat!

VaTuRkStOmPeR

not a chance.

too much time, money, and sweat equity invested to even consider throwing less-capable shot at the most regal of gamebirds.

gobblergls

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on May 31, 2011, 03:12:55 PM
not a chance.

too much time, money, and sweat equity invested to even consider throwing less-capable shot at the most regal of gamebirds.

Said another way:  This isn't dove hunting where one can shoot a full case easily in a season.  How many shells should it take to get a season limit of turkeys?   I'd rather pay for TSS for my buddies and me than the gas it took to hunt this year.

WyoHunter

Quote from:  link=topic=10471.msg120652#msg120652 date=1306847600
I spend way too much money, work too hard, and don't get enough chances at a turkey each season to afford being cheap and skimping to save a buck or two at the moment of truth.

There is way too much of a difference between lead and what I shoot to ever seriously consider shooting lead again unless I had no choice.
Exactly!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!