OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

If you could get 150 with Lead #5's, would you even bother with HTL?

Started by 3" 870 Shell Shucker, May 31, 2011, 06:56:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davisd9

Quote from: Gobble! on June 01, 2011, 07:45:38 AM
I would stick with 300 #7s. 150 at 40 yards is going to be a sub par pattern at 50 let alone 55 IMO.

All I need is 40 yards.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Longshanks

Quote from: davisd9 on June 01, 2011, 09:13:30 AM
I would stick with 300 #7s. 150 at 40 yards is going to be a sub par pattern at 50 let alone 55 IMO.

All I need is 40 yards.

Exactly.  40yds is all i need as well but i would rather shoot the combo that turns a better pattern from 30 to 40 i.e. HTL. If a turkey hunter is willing to shoot 40 yds it is very easy to misjudge 5-8yds sitting on the ground. Ive seen it done by some of the best bowhunters i know when they are sitting on the ground.  In the tree they can judge distance within a couple of yards.  I always encourage people to determine their range which in my opinion is 35 or 40yds. Then pattern their gun 5 and 10yds past that to see what they have.  Lead combos have a serious drop off rate from 30-40 not to mention how bad it is from 40-50. Ive had hunters tell me about 45-50yd shots with lead they have made on turkeys and then i got them to pattern their gun at that distance. In most cases with lead a fantastic pattern at 30yds isnt looking so good at 45-50yds. They realize then... the shot was a poke and a hope and they got lucky to kill the turkey.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: ncmountainfella on June 01, 2011, 05:16:06 AM
I found this post interesting. I have a mossberg 835 with a pure gold choke. I have shot numerous types and sizes of loads through this setup, including magnum blend. I have never shot a better shell than Winchester 3.5" XX Mag. #6s. At a measured 40 yds, with an exact 10" circle, I have shot 3 patterns. 179, 179, and 190! Not to call you out Hevi 13, but you seem so reluctant to believe!! Each gun/choke has a distinct love for a particular shell, I just happen to find the love of my guns life! My good buddy can put over 200 in a 10 circle with his Benelli nova and pure gold choke, consistently! Also using the Win 3.5", XX Mag. #6s. If your a lead shooter, I have never seen the Win. high velocity shells out perform the XX Mags.

Like I said I am from the Show-Me State.  I would like to see it for myself.  That's all.  I always hear of these guns that shoot these great lead patterns, but the funny thing is I never ever seen it in all my years of patterning or seen a gun that would consistently shoot those type patterns with lead or even shoot a pattern like the ones you mentioned.  I have had some great shooting guns over the years and none of them would do that what you just stated.  And I'll put my money where my mouth is that the 835 I have will shoot with the best of them consistently with you pick the loads.  I had a guy that used to blow about how his brothers gun would take the head off of a turkey with lead loads at 40yds.  So I finlly got him to show me how that great gun patterned live and in person.  That gun and load that supposedly shot so well flat out sucked in my opinion.  Needless to say my gun smoked his.  He was speechless.  It would have made a great credit card commercial though.   :lol:

R AJ

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on May 31, 2011, 03:12:55 PM
not a chance.

too much time, money, and sweat equity invested to even consider throwing less-capable shot at the most regal of gamebirds.

Do you also use the most expensive shotgun in the world ? If not ,what is the reason? Surely you don't drive out there in a truck over a year old to carry out  that regal gamebird .

Gobble!

Quote from: davisd9 on June 01, 2011, 09:13:30 AM

All I need is 40 yards.

Wish I could say I have never misjudged a bird. I would like all my shots at 35 yards but thats not always how things play out.

Gobble!

Quote from: RAJ on June 01, 2011, 10:32:49 AM
not a chance.

too much time, money, and sweat equity invested to even consider throwing less-capable shot at the most regal of gamebirds.

Do you also use the most expensive shotgun in the world ? If not ,what is the reason? Surely you don't drive out there in a truck over a year old to carry out  that regal gamebird .

thats not even comparable.

stinkpickle

Like all of this really matters anyway...turkeys ain't gonna roost on a 40 yard high limb.   :laugh:

Longshanks

Quote from: Gobble! on June 01, 2011, 10:34:27 AM
Quote from: RAJ on June 01, 2011, 10:32:49 AM
not a chance.

Do you also use the most expensive shotgun in the world ? If not ,what is the reason? Surely you don't drive out there in a truck over a year old to carry out  that regal gamebird .  

thats not even comparable.

:agreed: Not comparable. A couple of dollars..the price of a coke.. can determine whether or not the turkey rides home in the back of the truck or flies off. When a couple of dollars can make the difference i believe the wild turkey deserves that kind of respect.

Gobble!

Quote from: Longshanks on June 01, 2011, 10:43:51 AM

:agreed: Not comparable. A couple of dollars..the price of a coke.. can determine whether or not the turkey rides home in the back of the truck or flies off.

x2

stinkpickle

Quote from: 2ounce6s on June 01, 2011, 11:25:38 AM
Quote from: stinkpickle on June 01, 2011, 10:43:08 AM
Like all of this really matters anyway...turkeys ain't gonna roost on a 40 yard high limb.   :laugh:
Yes but any serious sportsman will surely have taken the AOA (angle of attack) into consideration when choosing a proper load.  :toothy12:

:TooFunny:  True dat!  Remember, we could be dealing with a tom that can survive a 10-inch circle filled with 150 lead #5's screaming towards his head.  While we're at it, we might as well blow Santa Claus and Easter Bunny outta there, too. 

ncmountainfella

Thanks Gobble and Longshanks for the encouraging words, I had no idea my gun was doing that well with that load. Longshanks your 20 gauge is simply amazing! I would love to try HTL, but I know nothing about them. That is why I am here , to learn.

[/quote]

Old Gobbler

Many gobblers were killed long before HTL -  its still good stuff

Coke vs. Pepsi its gonna come down to what you like to use
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

3" 870 Shell Shucker

The truth is, most of us never got close to 150 at 40 with Lead.  I couldn't do it with 6's, or even 7.5's.

"If" a choke and shell let us get 150 at 40 with Lead #5's, I'd be hunting with that rig.  The shells are inexpensive and easy to find, and the power and penetration are definitely adequate.

What if all of the effort put forth in the last couple of years with Hevi13 #7's had been put forth to maximize patterns with Lead #5's instead?

Why do people automatically assume that Lead will be banned?  It's like we've already surrendered and given up on ol' Pb.

Lead ain't dead yet.

Old Gobbler

Not sure what others were doing with lead

I got 170-180 with Nickel plated Lead  #5's for years Nitro 101L, that was my go to load out of my SP10 , and trust me it was very good stuff -When the HShot was made available I tried it , It worked even better and out of the lighter recoil 2.25 load it was a simple shot material swap

The HS loads penetration was significantly improved over lead , but like mentioned its a matter of preference . I feel HS shoots tighter , but that is going to cut way down on your fudge factor {aim}, as soon as the  popularity of HS came about  , the increase in the use of sighting aids soon followed -In my opinion ,this was born out of necessity because of the very tight patterns and the rising trend  of ultra tight shooting chokes  

I can go out in the woods with no hesitation and have a good season with just lead again if needed, it don't bother me one bit

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon