OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: winchester 1300 turkey. maybe  (Read 3887 times)

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
winchester 1300 turkey. maybe
« on: May 27, 2021, 01:48:18 AM »
Im looking at a Winchester 1300 that someone I know has for sell. The barrel says Winchester 1300 turkey 23/4 and 3 blah blah blah. The rest of the gun doesn't look like any 1300 turkey model ive ever seen...however im not up to snuff on 1300 turkey models. Most of the ones I see are the nwtf edition ones with the laminate stocks, and the engraving on the side of the receiver. This one has a plain walnut looking stock, and it does have some engraving on the receiver but its not turkey art...its just like floral looking stuff. My question is ….is the NWTF special edition models we mostly see the only specific turkey models they made? I asked the seller was this a 1300 turkey model or is the barrel that's stamped "turkey" not the original barrel. Which is what appears to have happened. He claims it is the original barrel, and it is a shorter barrel 22-23" just like the nwtf ones. The floral design just doesn't seem like something anybody who released a "turkey gun" would put on the receiver. Basically if its not the original barrel on the gun...I don't want it. At least not for the price hes asking. If its mix matched ill offer him a lower price, but according to him its not.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
Re: winchester 1300 turkey. maybe
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2021, 06:59:17 AM »
I have collected 3 of these 1300’s over the years. 2 are NWTF models with laminated stock, one is the buck & beard model. They all have 22 inch barrels. The 1300’s made in New Haven Connecticut with Winchoke stamped on the barrel are the good ones. I know the gun you are looking at with the floral type engraving. They are well made. You should be able to match the barrel with the receiver via serial numbers. I am sure that the New Haven guns are the best of the 1300’s. Best of luck with it, they are great guns, nice and compact, and pattern well. All 3 of mine do indeed say “Turkey” on them. Best of luck with it...
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 07:09:42 AM by Tom007 »
“Solo hunter”

Offline mikejd

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2021, 07:45:07 AM »
There are many different versions of the 1300. I would believe the one you have is the original. The laminate ones you see are actually the rarer of them all. They made camo versions in the turkey, they made all black versions of the turkey models. I would say that it is very likely they made walnut stock versions of the turkey model as well. Great guns. My all time favorite turkey guns.

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2021, 02:49:18 PM »
I have collected 3 of these 1300’s over the years. 2 are NWTF models with laminated stock, one is the buck & beard model. They all have 22 inch barrels. The 1300’s made in New Haven Connecticut with Winchoke stamped on the barrel are the good ones. I know the gun you are looking at with the floral type engraving. They are well made. You should be able to match the barrel with the receiver via serial numbers. I am sure that the New Haven guns are the best of the 1300’s. Best of luck with it, they are great guns, nice and compact, and pattern well. All 3 of mine do indeed say “Turkey” on them. Best of luck with it...
yep the barrel was made in new haven and it is stamped win choke . The floral design is what really threw me off as it could be an imposter . But the guy claims it’s original. I reckon I’ll take his word for it.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2021, 03:35:05 PM »
Good luck with it my friend...you’ll like the way it handles, and patterns.....
“Solo hunter”

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2021, 10:27:35 PM »
I went ahead and bought it . After further examination I do not believe it’s the original barrel . The finish doesn’t quite match between the receiver and the barrel . Oh well though. I bought it. I can always refinish it

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2021, 06:42:06 AM »
They are getting popular. Saw an NWTF laminated one sell on gunboker for over 1000 bucks...send some pics, good luck with it.
“Solo hunter”

Offline DUCKDIGGLER

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2021, 10:34:02 AM »
I went ahead and bought it . After further examination I do not believe it’s the original barrel . The finish doesn’t quite match between the receiver and the barrel . Oh well though. I bought it. I can always refinish it

They do pattern very, very good. I only run the stock X-full and that gun shoots a incredible pattern with Hevi-13 7's.....make sure you try the stock chokes!  I'm the cat that ALWAYS runs right to aftermarket chokes but this stock tube....shoots POA/POI and an awesome pattern. Good luck with her and have fun! :OGturkeyhead:

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2021, 11:42:31 AM »
It didn’t come with the stock chokes ..... it had a Carlson 660 in it .

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
  • "Big Woods" NC Pennsylvania Public Land Boss
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2021, 01:58:03 PM »
It would not quite match because the receiver is anodized black aluminum alloy and the barrel is blued steel.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2021, 10:36:14 PM »
Dude thank you for that . Because that’s exactly what this . I’m gonna post some pics so Yal will have a better understanding of what I’m looking . Keep in mind I know virtually nothing about 1300s

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2021, 10:44:34 PM »
Here it is

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
  • "Big Woods" NC Pennsylvania Public Land Boss
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2021, 09:55:25 AM »
I checked out the photos.  IMO it looks original.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Offline FL-Boss

• Longbeard
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2021, 10:15:42 AM »
Unless it's a NWTF gun with the laminated Win Camo wood and turkey engraved receiver, it doesn't really matter. Some 1300s came with the scrolling on the side, some had the laminated camo wood, but no engraving at all on the receiver. Some owners just changed out the barrel to the 22in Turkey barrel. As someone that used to collect these gun (still have a few, including the higher desired 20ga model) the value really isn't that much higher compared to a regular 1300. Doesn't matter, that gun in the pictures is one you can actually use and not have to worry about. 1300s are very possibly the best pump shotgun ever made.

Offline mikejd

• Double Beard
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2021, 12:09:02 PM »
I have 5 1300's and that looks original to me.