OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: winchester 1300 turkey. maybe  (Read 3886 times)

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
Re: winchester 1300 turkey. maybe
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2021, 01:39:19 PM »
Thanks fellas.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2021, 01:52:19 PM »
Boy that gun was a booger to clean. Had to use my chamber hone , don’t know if it was rust or what it was but it’s got a nice spit shine through and through now. Interesting trigger group, I will admit the trigger is awesome in this gun. It’s right at 3-3.5lbs . I don’t know if that’s common but I looked at the sear and it has no evidence of anybody doing work to it. Just a smidge of creep, but you know when it’s on the sear . I had to do a lot of work on my 870s to get them to the point this trigger is already at. It appeared the only thing that’s ever been cleaned on this gun was the barrel . It looks like the action was just repeatedly oiled over and over through the years. Tons of gunk tons . Action was pretty stiff. It’s very slick now. I really like how the firing pin just comes out . The gun points very naturally for me. I’d say more natural than an 870. Receiver is shorter but the stock is longer. The bluing on the barrel is in excellent shape for its age . I guess they just don’t coat things in this level of quality anymore . Receiver could definetly use a refinish . The wood has seen better days but honestly it’s just age .....I considered replacing it, but I kinda like the metal Winchester logo under the grip. I may just strip and refinish the wood. And have the metal coated again. The guy who does my coating for me uses kg gunkote, and he can do a ceramic coating in semigloss blued finish. It looks very good. This could definitely be a project in the future , but I’d like to see how it shoots first whenever I’m able to get my hands on some chokes . Are most of Yal running the oem extra full chokes or just the full?
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Offline mikejd

• Double Beard
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2021, 05:45:39 PM »
I have as many 870 as 1300 and I don't even think they are on the same page. Glad to hear you like yours. Can't imagine not doing a good cleaning job considering the whole thing comes apart with 1 pin.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2021, 08:39:21 PM »
Boy that gun was a booger to clean. Had to use my chamber hone , don’t know if it was rust or what it was but it’s got a nice spit shine through and through now. Interesting trigger group, I will admit the trigger is awesome in this gun. It’s right at 3-3.5lbs . I don’t know if that’s common but I looked at the sear and it has no evidence of anybody doing work to it. Just a smidge of creep, but you know when it’s on the sear . I had to do a lot of work on my 870s to get them to the point this trigger is already at. It appeared the only thing that’s ever been cleaned on this gun was the barrel . It looks like the action was just repeatedly oiled over and over through the years. Tons of gunk tons . Action was pretty stiff. It’s very slick now. I really like how the firing pin just comes out . The gun points very naturally for me. I’d say more natural than an 870. Receiver is shorter but the stock is longer. The bluing on the barrel is in excellent shape for its age . I guess they just don’t coat things in this level of quality anymore . Receiver could definetly use a refinish . The wood has seen better days but honestly it’s just age .....I considered replacing it, but I kinda like the metal Winchester logo under the grip. I may just strip and refinish the wood. And have the metal coated again. The guy who does my coating for me uses kg gunkote, and he can do a ceramic coating in semigloss blued finish. It looks very good. This could definitely be a project in the future , but I’d like to see how it shoots first whenever I’m able to get my hands on some chokes . Are most of Yal running the oem extra full chokes or just the full?

The picture of the gun looks good, best of luck with it....
“Solo hunter”