turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Which turkey gun

Started by WW, May 26, 2021, 09:47:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WW

I'm trying to decide if I should get a 20 gauge turkey gun or stick with my 12. I have an 870 super mag with a 30 inch barrel. I walk a lot and would like to think that a 20 gauge with a 26 inch barrel would be a little nicer to tote. What are you fellas toting as your dedicated turkey guns?

hoythunter

Mossberg SA-20. 22" barrel it's super easy to carry patterns well and reasonably priced.

jhoward11

I 2nd the SA-20 with #7 TSS,  but also the Mossberg 835 w/ #5 LB.  Both are killing machines IMO.

Meleagris gallopavo

Mossberg 835 with 24" barrel and Indian Creek .675 choke.  Using #8 or 9 TSS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

hunter85

Steven's 555 20ga 26" 6 lbs loaded with sling ready to hit the woods

howl

Quote from: hunter85 on May 26, 2021, 10:56:03 AM
Steven's 555 20ga 26" 6 lbs loaded with sling ready to hit the woods

Really hard to beat something like this. A 28ga version would be pretty sweet, too. You'll have to see what it will do to believe it.

FL-Boss

Mossberg SA-20 Turkey model - 22in barrel,  under 5.5lbs. With the weight difference, you won't carry that smoke pole 12GA ever again, especially if you walk a lot.

paboxcall

Left the 12 gauge behind two years ago. Carrying a 20 gauge Mossberg 500 with a 22" barrel shooting 2.75" TSS 8s or 9s through an IC .555 choke.

My 12 gauge was a single shot too and its the back up gun. Rather carry and shoot the 20 gauge.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

bbcoach

I'm a Mossy guy as well.  I shoot the 835 with a .670 Pure Gold choke and 3 1/2 Hevi 7's with devastating results.  If I would go to a 20, the SA-20 #75790 would be my first choice.

Tail Feathers

I went from an 835 to an SX3 20 gauge. No more punishment for shooting a turkey load!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Jim K

I went with a Franchi Affinity 3 in 20 gauge three years ago. About 6 pounds. No plans to go back to a 12.

WildTigerTrout

I own one 20 ga. turkey gun. It's a Benelli Nova full camo 24 " barrel.  I had it drilled and tapped and mounted a Leupold VX I 1x4 Shotgun scope on it.  Loaded with Hevi-Shot Mag. Blends and I installed a Hevi-Shot choke tube.  It's biggest advantage is it's lightweight compared to my two 12 ga. guns and one 10 ga. Browning.  I use then all however. Variety is the spice of life!
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

cpreeves

I bought a 20 gauge franchi last winter and hunted with it this spring. Won't ever carry a 12 gauge again

Tom007

The new Sweet 16 gauge Browning. 26 inch barrel. I shoot Apex 2 3/4 inch number 7 TSS 1 5/8 oz. load. Gun is light, no kick, and patterns well. The load is 1175 FPS. Devastating. Good alternative to 12 gauge....

rakkin6

Mossberg 835 12 gauge, Indian Creek .675 choke shooting Apex #9 TSS.

Mossberg 535 12 gauge,  Indian Creek .665 choke shooting #9 TSS also.

But may also buy a 20 gauge before nest season rolls around

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER