News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Which turkey gun

Started by WW, May 26, 2021, 09:47:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WW

Quote from: Greg Massey on May 27, 2021, 09:45:18 AM
I still have my other turkey guns, but i just bought the new Fanchi Affinity 3 Elite 20 ga. it's fine gun.

Not that it would matter, being a 20,  but I heard that they have quite a kick to them for a 20 gauge. Is that true?

stinkpickle

I've been thinking about switching to a 20ga turkey gun for a few years now.  I have a Montefeltro that I use for quail and pheasant that's lighter than a feather, and I really like it.  However, my dedicated turkey gun, which is 12ga M2, is actually fairly light also, and I have a crazy stockpile of 12ga ammo to use up, so I'm sticking with it for now.

NCL

Purchased a Weatherby SA 459 last year, added a Sumtoy choke and Holosun green dot sight

Tom007

I still have my other turkey guns, but i just bought the new Fanchi Affinity 3 Elite 20 ga. it's fine gun.

They look mighty fine. Good luck with it........

Greg Massey

Quote from: WW on May 27, 2021, 10:11:48 AM

Not that it would matter, being a 20,  but I heard that they have quite a kick to them for a 20 gauge. Is that true?
It can't kick any worst than Steven 301 T in 20 ga.. people are shooting the crap out of those.  It's the inertia driven system, so you can take it at that for what it will kick.. for turkey hunting, i never feel the kick of any gun killing that gobbler.. lol.. and no way it can kick as hard as my old 12 ga. 870 Remington turkey gun..

Dtrkyman

All I can add is do not buy a 20ga that is as heavy as a 12,  when I bought mine I was amazed at the weight of some of them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tail Feathers

My 26" Winchester SX3 weighs 6 lbs 10 oz.  Not the lightest but it carries well and a good sling keeps it from being a real burden.  It's a sweet shooter.  I just try to lose a few pounds before every spring season to offset that extra 10 oz of gun and 10 lbs of vest and gear!

I have a CVA single shot that weighs almost as much.  But that 24" barrel and no action make it about 36" long and super easy to handle in cover.  I really should put a better red dot on it and carry it more.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

lunghit

Quote from: Dtrkyman on May 28, 2021, 04:43:18 PM
All I can add is do not buy a 20ga that is as heavy as a 12,  when I bought mine I was amazed at the weight of some of them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is true but too light and they will kick like a 12 gauge with some heavy rounds. I was going to turn my 20 Montefeltro into a turkey gun but the thought of the kick with that light gun made me change my mind. I went with 20 gauge gas loading guns of average weight and they are very nice to shoot.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

hunter85

I don't know I guess I'm lucky in the aspect of I am in no way recoil sensitive and for a gun that will only be shot a handful of times a year if I could find a synthetic stocked, alloy receiver, thin barreled 3" chambers with chokes tube 20 ga that's sub or to 4lbs and a chair like the alps mc turkey chair around 3lbs and drop 20-30 lbs around my waist I think I would have the ultimate turkey getting platform!

ConoverCustomCalls

Does anyone have any comments regarding the Weatherby SA-459 in 20 GA or the Weatherby PA-459 in 12 GA?
I'll be shooting Apex TSS or Federal, with Carlson TSS choked.
Thanks.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Neill_Prater

Quote from: ConoverCustomCalls on May 29, 2021, 01:34:02 PM
Does anyone have any comments regarding the Weatherby SA-459 in 20 GA or the Weatherby PA-459 in 12 GA?
Thanks.

I bought a SA-459 20 last year. I installed an Indian Creek .562 choke and  a Holosun green reticle reflex sight and am shooting Apex 1 5/8 oz 9's.

I really like the gun. Almost 2 1/2 lbs lighter than my old 11-87. That's a lot of difference when you are 70 and having back problems. I was only able to get a shot at two gobblers this season, but the 20 did the job in both cases. I will keep my 12 because I always want to have a spare gun, but unless for the sake of nostalgia, I doubt I will ever take it to the field again.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

guesswho

Quote from: Neill_Prater on May 29, 2021, 05:16:11 PM
Quote from: ConoverCustomCalls on May 29, 2021, 01:34:02 PM
Thanks.

I bought a SA-459 20 last year. I installed an Indian Creek .562 choke and  a Holosun green reticle reflex sight and am shooting Apex 1 5/8 oz 9's.

I really like the gun. Almost 2 1/2 lbs lighter than my old 11-87. That's a lot of difference when you are 70 and having back problems. I was only able to get a shot at two gobblers this season, but the 20 did the job in both cases. I will keep my 12 because I always want to have a spare gun, but unless for the sake of nostalgia, I doubt I will ever take it to the field again.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
I'm shooting the same setup as Neal except I'm shooting Foxtrot ammo.  Zero complaints. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

WV Flopper

My boys gun is a M2, 20g. I changed the factory recoil spring to a heavy recoil Wolfe spring, changed out the factory stock for a steady grip, drilled and tapped with a FF3, and choked with a Summit .562. It's a nice gun, will kill a turkey all day long at 50 yards and is light. It has a 26" barrel, if it were 24" I think it would be the ultimate rig.

Maybe I will retire mine and get one of the M2's myself. It's about 3.5#'s lighter than what I carry now.

ConoverCustomCalls

What's an FF3?

3bailey3

Fast Fire 3, a red dot that i kinda like mine a lot..