turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Jakes not breeding ?

Started by owlhoot, May 23, 2021, 02:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulmyr

There's a saying about horse and water. I'll just leave it that.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

nativeks

The study he sites about jakes no having viable sperm was done in TX on Rios and they found that 5-7% had viable sperm capable of fertilizing an egg.

Howie g

Didn't know there was sooo many turkeyoligist !

dah

Someone help me out , I would like to know , Has a wildlife department  ever discussed or brought attention to sterile Jakes . A study by someone in Texas maybe is accurate , or not . What other agency"s at a high level  have also documented sterile jakes or publicly agreed with this conclusion . Not picking a fight , would like to know . 
  I hear it said that take the boss out of a breeding group and it will be days or even weeks before the hens will pick who they will mate with . They are careful who they choose to mate with , but yet some  will pick an infertile Jake ? I have witnessed Jakes breeding , so what I am seeing is mother nature during its season using infertile males and stupid females to further a species .
  Maybe sterile Jakes is the case , it just goes against nature , I can not think of another example of this in the animal kingdom , there are animals that have to mature to breed , but are they actually breeding or waiting their time .
  Just asking ?

owlhoot

Quote from: Howie g on May 23, 2021, 11:06:30 PM
Didn't know there was sooo many turkeyoligist !
Oh , populations dropping in a lot of states. Plenty of studies need done.

Greg Massey

The short answer is jakes contribute very little to reproduction. It's obvious that jakes are not developed and are not fully capable of producing the level of sperm needed to fertilize clutches, but i will agree they do try to breed with hens. Research has shown that very small percentage of jakes are just capable of sufficient breeding during their first breeding season. You have to realize as the spring season is going on gobblers testosterone levels continues to grow and it makes sense that a jakes level of testosterone will decrease in that first years as the breeding season whines down. Same with gobblers, coming back together into a flock, it's all a breeding cycle.. IMO....

guesswho

Just a question because I have no idea.   But if a Jake is not capable of breeding, then what about a Jenny?   Is she able to breed successfully?
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Greg Massey

Quote from: guesswho on May 24, 2021, 03:11:22 PM
Just a question because I have no idea.   But if a Jake is not capable of breeding, then what about a Jenny?   Is she able to breed successfully?
No she still in training...

Turkeyman

Back in the trap and transfer days I read several accounts whereas hens and jake(s) were released in areas and breeding occurred.

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Paulmyr on May 23, 2021, 05:48:17 PM
Quote from: Spitten and drummen on May 23, 2021, 05:18:19 PM
I find it amusing that some believe jakes wont or cant breed hens and about sperm not being viable. Hogwash. Thats the same as someone saying a young spike buck cant breed or be fertal. Utter nonsense. I say this because I have witnessed several times jakes breeding hens and poults being the result. Some with a spike and a doe.

Deer and turkeys are 2 completely different species with totaly different mating rituals. Actually deer have no rituals it's breeding by opprotunity. Not sure how comparing the 2 proves a point.

Thanks for enlightning me. I never knew deer and turkeys are 2 different species professor. I only speak of what I have seen over 40 years, granted several were tame turkeys. You say deer or opportunist? What do you think jakes are? You are as much of a biologist as I am. If you believe Chamberlains theory , and it is a theory , then have at it.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Greg Massey on May 24, 2021, 04:00:53 PM

Bahahaha!
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: warrent423 on May 23, 2021, 08:53:07 PM
Y'all still have not realized that this Chamberland feller is a kook

X10
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

Paulmyr

Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

owlhoot

Quote from: Greg Massey on May 24, 2021, 04:00:53 PM
HUh

Howie g

The answer is yes ! Jenny and I have two children...
:z-flirtysmile3: :z-flirtysmile3: