OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Need opinions on wearing glasses and hunting  (Read 1381 times)

Offline Swamppy

Need opinions on wearing glasses and hunting
« on: May 13, 2021, 05:38:17 PM »
I have an astigmatism and 20/20 vision. I have already had lasik which does not specifically fix an astigmatism. I really want to run a low profile red dot on my gun. For those of you who wear glasses is it worth wearing glasses in order to use this sight type in the turkey woods. I have run a LPVO in past but am trying to reduce weight for the future mountain hunts.

Offline Rapscallion Vermilion

• Longbeard
Re: Need opinions on wearing glasses and hunting
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2021, 06:26:09 PM »
Prescription shooting glasses were the answer for me.  I happen to use Decot Hy-Wyd, with light bronze lenses and an anti-reflective coating.  Shrunk that dot right down.

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2021, 06:41:44 PM »
Prescription shooting glasses were the answer for me.  I happen to use Decot Hy-Wyd, with light bronze lenses and an anti-reflective coating.  Shrunk that dot right down.

That's a great idea. This spring I noticed things in the woods at a distance don't seem as sharp as they did last year.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline boatpaddle

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2021, 08:03:28 PM »
If you get glasses, get the non reflective coating...

All my glasses have them...

No issues in the turkey woods, as of now...I wear a spandex mask & a regular billed camo hat...

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

Offline howl

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2021, 10:57:00 PM »
Sharpness of dot varies by unit. Turning the brightness down really helps.

I wear glasses because I'm pretty much blind without. Face masks aren't necessary if you have a proper beard. Boonie hat keeps the sun from illuminating your lenses. Turkeys do notice that.

Offline West Augusta

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • West By God Virginia
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2021, 09:59:30 AM »
I just wear regular progressive bifocals and have a cheap TruGlo red dot on my shotgun.  I haven't noticed any issues so far.  I've been wearing glasses since I've been turkey hunting.  I try not to face the sun but sometimes the turkey has other ideas.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2021, 12:59:33 PM »
Second the boonie hat and the anti reflective lenses, big difference. Boonie helps more than a baseball cap because it covers from all sides.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Tom Threetoes

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2021, 12:15:50 PM »
I wear glasses because I can't see without them. I've never had them spook a bird but I'm carefull not to sit with the sun in my face. I tried non reflective lenses but they were a pain to keep clean and I can't stand dirty glasses.