OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey Vests, they really are personal

Started by Tom007, May 14, 2021, 07:46:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom007

We all test and search for the perfect turkey vest. I myself have tries numerous vests, they all have good and bad qualities. Since there are so many variables involved with what gear we carry, what seat we like, and how the vest sets up for our style of hunting, it's tough to find what is perfect.  It almost boils down to having a few set-ups for the style of hunting you do. I recently got lucky enough to replace my Bob Dixon Vest, which I mistakenly sold a few years ago. I found a mint condition Mossy Oak Limbhanger vest. This is finally the one that fits my style of hunting the best. It basically is the exact vest a the Dixon, minus the Claw shoulder straps. The Claw straps were replaced by very comfortable padded straps. This vest is lightweight, the entire vest is made from rip-stop nylon type material. The webbing that holds the vest together is very thick, solid and well sewn. The zippers are of the highest quality, there are enough well placed pockets for everything needed. The magnetic striker pockets are fantastic. Internal easy access 5 shell loops are perfect. It's quiet, well made, and works perfect, it's a shame they don't make this anymore. It seems like a lot of great gear in our sport gets discontinued for unknown reasons. I'm hoping someone involved in the industry sees our posts and brings these ideas back to the manufacturers. Be safe....
"Solo hunter"

TonyTurk

Great find Tom007, congrats!

I will echo the thoughts of another poster on this board a while back.  He said something like: "Why is it that when you find something good, they stop making it?"

I am going to try the Badlands vest when it comes back in stock.  I want something lighter and really like the looks of that one.

Congrats again!

Tom007

Quote from: TonyTurk on May 14, 2021, 08:04:51 AM
Great find Tom007, congrats!

I will echo the thoughts of another poster on this board a while back.  He said something like: "Why is it that when you find something good, they stop making it?"

I am going to try the Badlands vest when it comes back in stock.  I want something lighter and really like the looks of that one.

Congrats again!

You bet, best of luck...thx
"Solo hunter"

davisd9

The Ol Tom East Rider is about as close as you can get to the limbhanger/Dixon style vests
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Goodtimekiller

I have a limbhanger vest i've had since they came out. I love it and have tried several that were made to replicate it an none come close. Mine is faded from years of sweat and a few of the pockets don't function exactly as they should but overall it is still in great condition. I will hate to see the day i have to retire it. I have been looking for another but am usually a little too slow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom007

Quote from: davisd9 on May 14, 2021, 09:37:47 AM
The Ol Tom East Rider is about as close as you can get to the limbhanger/Dixon style vests

Good info, they make quality vests I have heard. Thx..
"Solo hunter"

Tom007

Quote from: Goodtimekiller on May 14, 2021, 09:49:17 AM
I have a limbhanger vest i've had since they came out. I love it and have tried several that were made to replicate it an none come close. Mine is faded from years of sweat and a few of the pockets don't function exactly as they should but overall it is still in great condition. I will hate to see the day i have to retire it. I have been looking for another but am usually a little too slow.

Took me a year to find mine, keep looking, one will pop up..
"Solo hunter"

ShootingABN!

I'm still rocking a 20+ year old Walmart Field Line. I have purchased several seat cushions. Added a D ring to hold the loop and zipper shut, (I've lost my share of strikers).

I've grown attached to the old Advantage camo and the memories of turkeys carried out in that vest.

Tom007

Amen, that one is super personal and special to you.....
"Solo hunter"

grayfox

I bought one years ago when they first came out. The one I got was too big & bulky for me so I returned it. I have to agree it looked like the toughest made turkey vest I've ever put my hands on. Don't see how anyone would ever wear it out.

Turkeyman

If you ever find a turkey vest, or any other piece of gear you really like, buy a lifetime supply. Why? Because manufacturers always change to come up with something they consider better which is nothing more than a marketing ploy for advertising and sales. In most cases it's not at all superior.

Goodtimekiller

Quote from: Turkeyman on May 16, 2021, 12:34:56 PM
If you ever find a turkey vest, or any other piece of gear you really like, buy a lifetime supply. Why? Because manufacturers always change to come up with something they consider better which is nothing more than a marketing ploy for advertising and sales. In most cases it's not at all superior.
I agree, i found a decoy i really like, found them on clearance once and i now have 8?

Tom007

Great thoughts, always have backups for backups....
"Solo hunter"

Turkeyman

Case in point. I have a vest I REALLY like. But just one, and it's starting to show it's wear. Should have bought several years ago...don't see any of the current vests which, IMO, can compare to it.