OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Four More Turkey Hunting Incidents, One Fatality. Tracking Two more…

Started by mookyj, May 10, 2021, 11:37:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Number17

And we still have some of the biggest names in the business promoting sticking a raw gobbler fan or a highly realistic full body decoy in your face and crawling around behind it to kill a turkey.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

hotspur

Quote from: Dtrkyman on May 14, 2021, 08:10:48 AM
Unfortunately I remember reading that most accidents involve experienced hunters.  I guess people see what they want to see?
I remember a member posting about the time he and his son deer hunting, when he saw a deer coming in , and telling his son to get ready, and second look it was a man, swears he saw a deer , claiming the eyes can play tricks on you

Jstocks

Eggshell,
Please tell it every year. You never know who needs to hear it and if by telling it, you will never know who's life you saved. It's emotional and stirring, which it should be.

Thank you for sharing that.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: hotspur on May 14, 2021, 09:45:30 AM
Quote from: Dtrkyman on May 14, 2021, 08:10:48 AM
Unfortunately I remember reading that most accidents involve experienced hunters.  I guess people see what they want to see?
I remember a member posting about the time he and his son deer hunting, when he saw a deer coming in , and telling his son to get ready, and second look it was a man, swears he saw a deer , claiming the eyes can play tricks on you
I remember taking one of my friends kids to a hunters safety course and one of the instructors saying that the young people get a bum wrap because the statistics prove it is the older hunters that have more hunting related incidents. I had posted that here before but could not find the statistics to prove it, I do believe it very possible though.

Quote from: Jstocks on May 14, 2021, 10:22:25 AM
Eggshell,
Please tell it every year. You never know who needs to hear it and if by telling it, you will never know who's life you saved. It's emotional and stirring, which it should be.

Thank you for sharing that.
X2
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Tail Feathers

Quote from: eggshell on May 14, 2021, 07:01:26 AM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 13, 2021, 03:38:32 PM
I am waiting to hear what if any difference there is going to be for those that went to a live hunters safety course vs those that got their license on the internet. Eggshell, very moving story not the first time I have seen it but very touching none the less.

Thx all. I usually post some form of it every year, but hadn't this year because of some snide remarks. I don't think I've ever told it in that detail before, it just stirs up old feelings. This happened in 2009.
Thanks for sharing.  I somehow had missed it.  Did you find out who fired the shot?  Was that person shooting at movement?
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Pluffmud

Most hunting accidents involve experienced hunters. Not newbies. Just like most work place accidents involve experienced veterans, not greenhorns. Complacency is what kills. Not instagram.
Psalm 46:10

cutt down

I can tell you guys from experience as I've been shot before turkey hunting. Friend & I were hunting West TN along the Mississippi River & I had worked a turkey to within range. Foliage was thick & all of a sudden the turkey hauled. I asked my friend if he moved to which he said no & I knew he didn't but was confused why the bird disappeared. We sat there a few more minutes then decided to move. Walked about 30yds then.....BOOM! Knocked us both to ground. Felt like someone sticking me with a hot iron in about 20 places. Friend was laying turned away from me not moving. I rolled him over & he was hit in the neck & chest & bleeding slightly. Luckily neither of us were seriously hurt. I yelled at the guy & he ran over to us, I drew back to hit him, he was crying, I figured I couldn't hurt him anymore than he was already hurting. I was still pissed! Scared! Every emotion you can have I had in a span of seconds. This guy had no business in the woods. He didn't positively identify his target. He shot at motion period. We were walking & talking in a normal tone & dude was so jacked up that he shot when he saw movement. This was 25 yrs ago. Took me a few hunts to relax after that episode. Still to this day when I'm hunting & someone approaches me I think of that day! I'm glad neither one of us was hit in the face or worse. Be careful!