Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Four More Turkey Hunting Incidents, One Fatality. Tracking Two more…

Started by mookyj, May 10, 2021, 11:37:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mookyj

adly this is in addition to: "Spring 2021- Three Turkey Hunting Incidents, Two Fatalities." We are into final few weeks of the 2021 spring season, many southern states have seen their seasons completed It is expected that we return home safely from a day afield. This season, three hunters will not return and three hunters and a hiker taken to local hospitals...
click for more: http://www.turkey-talk.com/tblog/?p=2051
Mike Joyner
joyneroutdoormedia.com

ShootingABN!

God please provide comfort for all those involved. In Jesus name we pray, Amen.

Sanders153

Quote from: ShootingABN! on May 11, 2021, 09:33:11 PM
God please provide comfort for all those involved. In Jesus name we pray, Amen.

Amen. We will pray for these families, please comfort them in this time Lord Jesus our Holy Creator. In your Blessed name we pray, amen.

Sir-diealot

Amen as well. Hard to believe the guy only fell from 8 feet and got killed. As to the others "Always identify your target and beyond"
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

eggshell

I have no words, only a deep sadness and dread in my heart....

All these victims (and families) have a haunting future ahead of them. They will relive the day thousands of times in their minds. Depending on the severity of injuries, and certainly in the fatal accidents, they will suffer the rest of their lives. Survival is learning to cope, only God can completely heal the body, mind and soul. I can tell you the will to live is strong and we can survive a lot, but the scars will never let us forget.

Let me paint you a picture:

You hear a bird and you call and it responds. You look around for a setup and determine you need to move closer, so you begin a stealthy advance. You call again and get a response closer, so you begin looking for a quick hiding spot. Your mind is 100% on this turkey and setting up to kill him. You turn to set up and you simultaneously hear the noise and feel an impact to your body like you've never felt before. Your confused and your mind wonders what's happening. Then you look down at the area of the impact and your clothes are turning red  and the red spot is growing and then your mind registers what has happened....OH MY GOD I BEEN SHOT!!!. You yell out at the shooter, "YOU SHOT ME!. Then you wonder how bad it is and you start stripping clothes off to see your wounds. What you find isn't pretty and the deepest fear you have ever imagined washes through your mind, it's called pure terror. Am I dieing is the next thought, as you scream HELP ME!. Next you collapse and finally help shows up in the form of your hunting buddy. Laying on the ground you tell him it's bad, real bad and he is almost in a panic. There is no cell service for miles, so it's first aide as best you know and between the two of you devise a plan to get out. He leaves for help and "Your alone in your pain and anguish. At this point you know enough to understand the amount of blood you've lost is critical. You lay on the ground and resolve that you may well die here alone in the woods. You send a prayer to heaven and ask God, "is this the day I die?". Your mind goes to your wife and kids. You never even told your wife goodbye this morning, let alone hug her and say, "I love you". How will they handle your death and what will happen to them. You'll never see your daughters build careers and you'll never walk them down the isle. Your grandchildren will only know you through pictures and stories. You ask God, "what happens next". You can imagine or maybe even see people collecting at the gates of heaven to greet you. You have never been in this place ever, it's ok, but in the same moment it sucks beyond belief. You have done all you can, you applied a tourniquet and packed the gaping hole in your thigh ( That's where the arrow hit you and passed through) with everything absorbent you have.  Then you lay back to wait for help or die, your not sure which. It's then that a still small voice says, "get up and fight, I have more for you". Suddenly your filled with resolve and strength. You gird up your loins and you get up and start your stumbling exit towards home. Every step is filled with pain and you work hard to stay upright. It's a slow and grueling pace and you barely have the strength to go,, but something keeps pushing you. Finally you see your friend returning and he helps you to the truck. He has not been able to get emergency services so you decide to drive like hell to a hospital 17 miles away. Your clothes are soaked with blood and it's pooling on your floormats. You are in deep crap! You arrive at the ER and people descend on you like hungry piranhas. You hear doctors shouting orders and you feel them putting Ivs in your arm and you hear a doctor shout "push fluids". There are two people squeezing bags to force fluids into you before your pump runs dry. The last thing you see is a monitor that says your blood pressure is 40/60 and someone says, "he's in shock and crashing". Gray light overwhelms your vision and you drift away into unconsciousness. when you awake they are rapping you in a foil bag and someone says, "your being medfighted to ABC trauma center in the capital. They have your wife on the phone and you finally get to say, "I love you and the kids". Your still don't know if you'll ever see them and hug them again.

Finally, doctors and nurses have refilled your tank and put you back together as best they can and people who love you are at your side. Your going home. You are blessed and surely only alive because of God's ever lasting mercy. The recovery is long and painful and it's many months before the wounds heal. You also learn that due to the severe blood loss you have developed other health issues that will haunt you the rest of your life. Mentally your a mess and it takes massive amounts of love and support from friends and family to get you back. Then the bills come and the liability and legal discussions and that takes a year to work out. Life has a new normal and it's not fun.

I'm stopping now, because it's all I can do to keep from breaking down in tears.....

This picture was painted in one second, when someone decided to pull the trigger.

Spitten and drummen

Unfortunately with the influx of hunters into the sport these things will happen more.You put more inexperienced hunters in the woods with guns the odds increase for these types of accidents. Its basic math. It is sad but true. Now dont get me wrong , there are guys that have been hunting their whole life , get complacent and make bonehead mistakes also. In the end you really have to watch out for your safety and be mindful of your actions. Everything you do in life has risk. Live life enjoying the things you love , be careful and understand that at any giving moment that could be your last.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

NCL

Eggshell,

That was a very moving story and one that should be read by every hunter

grayfox

Quote from: NCL on May 12, 2021, 11:10:02 AM
Eggshell,

That was a very moving story and one that should be read by every hunter

X2. As real as words can describe.

Jimspur

Eggshell - your story should make everyone be 100% positive of their target.

Sir-diealot

I am waiting to hear what if any difference there is going to be for those that went to a live hunters safety course vs those that got their license on the internet. Eggshell, very moving story not the first time I have seen it but very touching none the less.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

paboxcall

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on May 12, 2021, 09:06:49 AM
Unfortunately with the influx of hunters into the sport these things will happen more.You put more inexperienced hunters in the woods with guns the odds increase for these types of accidents. Its basic math. It is sad but true. Now dont get me wrong , there are guys that have been hunting their whole life , get complacent and make bonehead mistakes also. In the end you really have to watch out for your safety and be mindful of your actions. Everything you do in life has risk. Live life enjoying the things you love , be careful and understand that at any giving moment that could be your last.

Agree, add fuel to the fire these newbies are often highly incentivized to post their hero pics on social media, makes people do dumb things.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

arkrem870

Social Media is for the weak minded....... look at me look at me. I need attention. Give me a like.

It's gonna ruin turkey hunting just like it has so many things.
LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS

eggshell

Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 13, 2021, 03:38:32 PM
I am waiting to hear what if any difference there is going to be for those that went to a live hunters safety course vs those that got their license on the internet. Eggshell, very moving story not the first time I have seen it but very touching none the less.

Thx all. I usually post some form of it every year, but hadn't this year because of some snide remarks. I don't think I've ever told it in that detail before, it just stirs up old feelings. This happened in 2009.

Dtrkyman

Unfortunately I remember reading that most accidents involve experienced hunters.  I guess people see what they want to see?

sasquatch1

Quote from: arkrem870 on May 13, 2021, 06:45:08 PM
Social Media is for the weak minded....... look at me look at me. I need attention. Give me a like.

It's gonna ruin turkey hunting just like it has so many things.

Can't be spoken strongly enough! Huge portion of the social media hunters are only in it for a kill so they can post pics and get likes and congrats from strangers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro