OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Venom, FF#, Kingslayer, etc, which do you recommend?  (Read 5961 times)

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Venom, FF#, Kingslayer, etc, which do you recommend?
« on: May 10, 2021, 09:59:41 AM »
I am planning on mounting a red dot on my 11-87 for next season.  I have decided to go with the Meadow Creek mount as I have looked at a friend's set up and liked how naturally the dot would line up and the field of view.  I had decided on a Vortex Venom, and I still may go that direction, but I figured I would reach out for opinions.  I am not brand loyal on any, but I do have some Vortex items that I am very happy with and I know they have great service.

I have heard the issues with Venoms not holding zero and FF3 being a pain with changing the battery.  I like the idea of the green circle dot on the Kingslayer but just not overly familiar with it other than reading a little here and there.

My budget for the red dot is $300, what is your opinions and experiences?
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline FL-Boss

• Longbeard
Re: Venom, FF#, Kingslayer, etc, which do you recommend?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 10:22:15 AM »
FF3 battery is easy to change - the trick is to just use a different brand battery. I use Duracell.. changed 4 of them this year... cap goes on like butter..

Online Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 10:25:47 AM »
FF3 battery is easy to change - the trick is to just use a different brand battery. I use Duracell.. changed 4 of them this year... cap goes on like butter..

X2, the Duracell battery in the FF3 solves all the cap problems. Meadow Creek mount works fantastic. Good luck.....
“Solo hunter”

Offline Johnhunter21

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 10:28:24 PM »
I got the Sightmark Mini Shot M-spec this year and had good luck with it. Built solid, held zero, top changing battery, and you can find if around $200

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2021, 09:53:06 AM »
Thanks for the information guys.  After some research and talking with friends I went with the Holosun 507c.  What mainly attracted me to it was its solar power feature.  I was going to get one with multiple reticle and all the jazz but decided to just stick with the 2 moa red dot.  Once again I appreciate the input and will definitely share the battery info with friends that use the FF3.
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline Tail Feathers

• Limbhanger
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2021, 04:25:36 PM »
I got the Sightmark Mini Shot M-spec this year and had good luck with it. Built solid, held zero, top changing battery, and you can find if around $200
  I looked at that one recently on line.  Does it have a strong blue tint when looking through it like so many reflex sights?
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Online Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2021, 07:08:59 PM »
Thanks for the information guys.  After some research and talking with friends I went with the Holosun 507c.  What mainly attracted me to it was its solar power feature.  I was going to get one with multiple reticle and all the jazz but decided to just stick with the 2 moa red dot.  Once again I appreciate the input and will definitely share the battery info with friends that use the FF3.

Best of luck with it, I heard they are great optics....
“Solo hunter”

Offline bcuda

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2021, 11:07:29 AM »
Does the Holosun 507c and the Vortex Venom have the same kind of mount pattern ?

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2021, 11:44:00 AM »
Does the Holosun 507c and the Vortex Venom have the same kind of mount pattern ?

No, the Holosun is the RMR footprint.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2021, 11:19:46 PM »
For the money i like the swampfox kingslayer in green circle dot, it's a simple green circle dot or you can get it in red circle dot.. price is 199.00 and with this 20 percent off code SARGE20 you can get the it including shipping for 167.03

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2021, 09:38:31 AM »
For the money i like the swampfox kingslayer in green circle dot, it's a simple green circle dot or you can get it in red circle dot.. price is 199.00 and with this 20 percent off code SARGE20 you can get the it including shipping for 167.03

I looked hard at the Swampfox Kingslayer and it looks like a great sight, but the Holosun had more bang for the buck so I went that way.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2021, 12:05:25 PM »

I looked hard at the Swampfox Kingslayer and it looks like a great sight, but the Holosun had more bang for the buck so I went that way.
  Nothing wrong with either choice.. i just didn't feel for 45 days of turkey hunting that i needed the Holosun.. but either are a solid optic..

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2021, 01:12:27 PM »
Truthfully a $100 truglo would be more than sufficient for 90% or so of us.

Offline WV Ridge Reaper

• Longbeard
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2021, 04:55:10 PM »
Truthfully a $100 truglo would be more than sufficient for 90% or so of us.
Life’s to short to hunt with ugly stuff!!!

Did not know your choice of brand offered a 2 moa..May have to look into that

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2021, 05:48:07 PM »
The holosun looks awesome, I've got a few fast fires but my next gun build might need one of those guys on it

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>