OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Is it just me?

Started by Swamp, May 06, 2021, 11:10:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davisd9

It has little to do with Facebook overall.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Ctrize

Relatively new to OG and think it's the most complete of all the forums. For some reason there are a lot of people that skim the info on any sight without contributing. Not sure of the reason but look at any thread and compare views to responses it's crazy. Selling of calls is alive and well, I think it is spread out now over the other forums.Just like anything else the good ones stick around.

Sanders153

Old Gobbler is unique. There's not a place quite like it. As a turkey hunter, and one who seeks out handmade turkey calls for them, I am deeply appreciative of this forum

Turkeyman

I have a Facebook account but only for communication and such with the kids and grandkids. I'm really not a "social media" person. Instagram, Snap Chat et al...what are those LOL...I have no time for them and have never even investigated their use. I only participate in a few hunting forums, and that's enough. Too many guys can't wait to post their kills online so they can brag on them. I've always said that if those same guys couldn't post on social media many of them would quit hunting!!

Old Gobbler

There is a saying ...a forum is only as good as its purpose , what's OG's purpose ? Sharing turkey hunting information and the like ...we do that VERY well , thank you

Whats Facebook and other social medias purpose ? Well it sure looks like its to make thier billionaire founders rich while they dupe people into buying shares of thier company , whilst they dump thier stock that actually makes no money , and of course brain wash educate thier "woke" agenda on the masses,  and if you don't like it..well they will kick you off or censor you .... till you give up ...the big joke is on the public , sad thing is that even people who agree with Facebook and Instagrams left leaning agenda are the victim too

Sounds like free speech ? Hardly ...there are some that are fine with the way things are going ..others , are very concerned about how they can just eliminate the truth and replace it with opinion and pass it off as facts.....sounds alot like they are borrowing china's one party policy to me.

Facebook has its pro's and it has its negatives ....lots and lots of negatives

With the advent of very fast wireless devices , there are more people using social media , and that includes us too , there are more people visiting here and reading., others post ...but yes Facebook has put a beating on all forms of forums...but quite a few still go strong

Photobucket , and many online FREE photo hosting sites have gone belly up so its a hassle getting images posted , thays where Facebook,  Instagram have a advantage.. I do use both social media sites but with extreme caution because it gets annoying watching these kids pass them selves off as stuff they are not ...especially annoying is watching your female extended family members try thier best to post up and pass off fake invented lifestyle.. I would say 99%  of most things young people post up on social media is fake as silicon boobs , everyone is so busy trying to impress everyone ...

One huge advantage to a well run and indexed forum (like this one ) is there is the information is saved and easy to access ...also people tend to be more down to earth on a well run site

Everything has its purpose in life ..and things kinda seem to work itself out

Remember MySpace? .....if these big tech social media companies don't clean up thier act , one day people will be asking the same about them ....

:OGani:

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

bwhana

I don't post a lot here, but have followed for years. This site is about as good as it gets compared to other social hunting forums.  I am a very active member on saddlehunter, which has grown exponentially and suffered as a result from the me too, junk posts.  It used to be way more like this one before the growth. Folks here are very generous and it truly is about passion and sharing information and was very cool randomly bumping into some guys in the Black Hills from here too. I also got some great tips from a helpful member here before I went.  Thanks OG for having the site and keeping it real - that is a hard thing to do in this current world and your efforts are recognized and much appreciated!

bonasa

Never had a social media account, never will. I too believe that the "groups" on FB and IG are as pretentious as most groups online. All about the "likes" 'n "friends".  I do have the youtube on in the car at work or in the gym, cannot believe that some "turkey hunters" with a year or so under their belt are giving "advise" and marketing their own calls? But, a sucker is born every minute I suppose...Not sure how much advise they can give or testimonials on their calls when all I see them do is ambush turkeys, even some are jakes and bearded hens. But hey, they got their 50K views or whatever they begged their viewers for...

merriamsman

Shannon, as usual you have hit the nail squarely on the head with a very big hammer.

Greg Massey

This is a great forum with good people. I've seen it slow up a little these pass couple years, but overall we still have a great following. The forum is always pretty busy couple months before spring season begins in most all states and still a lot of knowledge is shared among the group. Classifieds are still pretty busy also, but a lot of us have been able to make contact with call builders and purchase calls direct form these builders. Overall the best site on the internet in my opinion. Looking forward to fall and spring season 2022 .... don't forget to practice with your calls all year and improve your turkey habitat in your area.

GobbleNut

Quote from: Swamp on May 06, 2021, 11:10:21 AM
I recently started using the sight more often and it just seems to me a little stale these days. By no means is this intended to be a negative post im just curious if anyone else feels the same way.

I think part of that "stale-ality" is a normal result of sites that reach a certain age where the members start to feel like all that can be said has been said.  I would refer to it as the "broken record syndrome".  We have covered every turkey hunting topic under the sun so many times that we get to the point of saying,..."Gee, do I really need to repeat what I have said so many times before on this topic again?"   ;D

Of course, there are a few of us that have so much time on our hands that we just keep typing, regardless.  ...And then there is the need to harass certain other members of the forum as much as possible,...and that takes a lot of time and effort, too....    :toothy9:

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

Start a thread about why you should or shouldn't own a AR 15 and it won't be stale around here!
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

sasquatch1

Hunting pressure being brought on the public lands by all social media sights is what's causing people not to post anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Happy

Quote from: MISSISSIPPI Double beard on May 08, 2021, 10:51:48 AM
Start a thread about why you should or shouldn't own a AR 15 and it won't be stale around here!
You absolutely should, sometimes you get a runner when your corn feeder jams and you were just on the way to your blind at 10:30 cause your game camera was clearly sending your cellphone pictures of the turkeys arriving at 10:45 and you had just updated your Facebook to say you would have dead turkey pictures at 11:00. You would have been there at 10:25 if you had been able to find your tail fan a little quicker amongst all your camera gear and your new trumpet lanyard was tangled.

That should liven things up a bit.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Sir-diealot

It seems a bit slower the past few weeks but always seems to slow a bit here when it is late into seasons or many seasons have ended. Love it here though, y'all have taught me so much and I have made some great friends.

I stay on Facebroke for the family and friends that are there an the different turkey and photographic and gaming groups I belong to/run.

As Shannon has said though, that place loves to brainwash and sensor people, I do wish there was something better, I prefer phone calls and Skype but it seems everybody wants to text or send emails these days.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

the Ward

In my opinion, faceplant was designed to keep tabs and gather information about the public, and spread propaganda. I'm no conspiracy theorist, but it sure looks like "big brother" is watching. As for the slowdown on the forum, i think it is just a cyclic thing. Some years it is booming, others it is just steady traffic. This place is still going great, It is the first and only forum i ever joined, and the time i've spent here has been great. Looking forward to what the next 10 years brings!