OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Retay Masai Mara 20ga Turkey XT  (Read 8570 times)

Offline twyatt

• The Boss Gobbler
Retay Masai Mara 20ga Turkey XT
« on: May 03, 2021, 12:04:10 PM »
Does anyone have one of these yet?  Opinions? Patterns? Chokes?
Other than not having a pistol grip, it checks off most things I'd want in a new 20ga turkey gun.  I just haven't seen or heard any reviews about them yet.

Offline DBuck90

Re: Retay Masai Mara 20ga Turkey XT
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 09:52:38 PM »
Pistol grip is coming I know a couple guys that have Retays with a pistol grip I want one as well
To compare it to my Benelli M2 it should be one heck of a shooter and the barrel is 2 inches shorter at 22in choke wise it takes the same threat pattern as Benelli crio system

Offline BINK McCARTY

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Beak first in th' dirt...
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 01:52:30 AM »
Pistol grip is coming I know a couple guys that have Retays with a pistol grip I want one as well
To compare it to my Benelli M2 it should be one heck of a shooter and the barrel is 2 inches shorter at 22in choke wise it takes the same threat pattern as Benelli crio system

You have proof positive of Retay turkey XT model with pistol grip? I heard the rumor from Retay in an email I got a week or so ago.

Offline Meleagris gallopavo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • I struggle, but still succeed...
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 11:11:19 AM »
I’d get the 20 gauge in a heartbeat if it had a pistol grip and MO Obsession camo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Offline twyatt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2021, 01:17:29 PM »
I had this gun in my hands last night and was talked out of buying it by three different sales guys at our local gun store.  I couldn't really get any firm answers as to why, other than they keep getting them back in for repairs, and it wasn't anything consistent.  Some not loading properly, some stove piping shells, one gun was sent out brand new unopened with no bolt at all.  Seemed like a variety of issues they've had with them.  I don't know if there was more to it or not, but I've been there several times messing with the Gordion turkey and then the Masai Mara turkey last night, and every different rep that comes over to talk to me seems like "meh, they're ok".   It wasn't like they were trying to sell me anything else, no other guns were mentioned, they just don't seem to like them.

I just ended up getting the Benelli M2.  I'm a big fan of the Benelli's anyway, and own 3 12ga Benelli's now and have never had a single issue ever with them, so there's some comfort level there too.
I'm sure the Retay's are fine guns, it was a tossup for me anyway with the M2, I had been eyeing it for a long time, just finally bit the bullet and bought it.

Offline greentag

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2021, 06:50:25 PM »
I have one and love it,I wish I could post pics on here I would show y’all some patterns, They are crazy good for a 20 guage.

Offline BINK McCARTY

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2021, 10:50:53 PM »
I’d get the 20 gauge in a heartbeat if it had a pistol grip and MO Obsession camo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I second that !!!! I've been looking for one in Obsession but have yet to ever even see one advertised. I love the pattern.

Offline BINK McCARTY

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2021, 10:52:07 PM »
I had this gun in my hands last night and was talked out of buying it by three different sales guys at our local gun store.  I couldn't really get any firm answers as to why, other than they keep getting them back in for repairs, and it wasn't anything consistent.  Some not loading properly, some stove piping shells, one gun was sent out brand new unopened with no bolt at all.  Seemed like a variety of issues they've had with them.  I don't know if there was more to it or not, but I've been there several times messing with the Gordion turkey and then the Masai Mara turkey last night, and every different rep that comes over to talk to me seems like "meh, they're ok".   It wasn't like they were trying to sell me anything else, no other guns were mentioned, they just don't seem to like them.

I just ended up getting the Benelli M2.  I'm a big fan of the Benelli's anyway, and own 3 12ga Benelli's now and have never had a single issue ever with them, so there's some comfort level there too.
I'm sure the Retay's are fine guns, it was a tossup for me anyway with the M2, I had been eyeing it for a long time, just finally bit the bullet and bought it.

You had the pistol grip version in your hands? Please PM me with the location if that is indeed the case. Thanks!

Offline twyatt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2021, 05:54:07 AM »
No, just the standard

Offline bigbird

• Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2021, 08:42:59 AM »
I held one in a shop here in town and to me they feel cheap! Is the craze for for them all due to social media? Chasing 49 and Dr duck?

Offline Tuffonturkeys

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2021, 09:52:31 AM »
Agree with bigbird.. I looked real hard about the retay and to me it just feels kinda bulky and heavier than an inertia gun should be. I ended up with a franchi compact 24" barrel. There just isn't enough information on them in my part of the country only 1 or 2 stores around here carry them

Offline Holtbensley

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2021, 07:11:08 AM »
A friend of mine bought one of the 20ga from a shop in Alabama we are from Ohio. My first thoughts Is that it is bulky and it is heavier than my Stoeger 3020.. You can physically feel the weight difference in the two. The trigger is really nice in my opinion that is really the only positive I can think of.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

Offline mflmk

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2021, 04:21:51 PM »
What choke are you using in your Retay 20 gauge.  I have a Jebs .555 , but not real happy with the results. 

Offline va_gobbler_chaser

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2021, 11:12:04 AM »
I love mine.

Only thing I did was had my gunsmith lower the trigger pull and travel and to note it wasn’t a bad factory trigger! Just not where I like a trigger to be for turkey hunting. It was around 5.5lb factory. I had it lowered to 3lb and he also cut the travel length in half. Other than that I’m in love with the gun. Feels great. Patterns very strong. The forcing come if factory lengthened in them. Gun comes apart with no tools in seconds.

I get 90 plus% retention at 40 yards with apex 9’s.

Offline va_gobbler_chaser

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2021, 11:13:41 AM »
What choke are you using in your Retay 20 gauge.  I have a Jebs .555 , but not real happy with the results.

Indian Creek .555-575 all patterned 90 plus % retention at 40 yards but my favorite 20” pattern it throws is with the open .575.