OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

“Body punching” turkeys

Started by JohnSouth22, April 25, 2021, 06:14:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howie g

Quote from: Sasha and Abby on April 28, 2021, 12:27:04 PM
You do realize, that you do not HAVE TO SHOOT the turkey...  if you have called him to the gun and he is too close to shoot with a super tight patter (for fear of missing) you can just let him walk off.  At this point, you have WON and not WASTED a valuable and tasty bird.
Seriously?!?! And risk not being able to post a pic of a dead gobbler on face books / tic toc etc ?!?!?
:turkey2:

Turkeyman

Quote from: Howie g on April 28, 2021, 12:59:11 PM
Quote from: Sasha and Abby on April 28, 2021, 12:27:04 PM
You do realize, that you do not HAVE TO SHOOT the turkey...  if you have called him to the gun and he is too close to shoot with a super tight patter (for fear of missing) you can just let him walk off.  At this point, you have WON and not WASTED a valuable and tasty bird.
Seriously?!?! And risk not being able to post a pic of a dead gobbler on face books / tic toc etc ?!?!?
:turkey2:

I'm with you. I honestly think if a lot of these guys hunting couldn't post their bird to brag on it before he's done death flapping they wouldn't even hunt! Too many "ego trippers" out there. Ain't social media great LOL!!

PS Regarding "body punching" a turkey I've never done so. I enjoy the meat too much and don't want to crack a tooth on a BB!!

Spitten and drummen

" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

tomstopper

I use tss and will still always aim for the head

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Cowboy

Quote from: bbcoach on April 28, 2021, 06:52:04 AM
I'll SAY it.  NOT A FAN!!!!  Too much carnage at close range and you definitely don't want to do it at longer ranges.  One place to shoot IMO, head and neck area only.  If you can't shoot there, then LET HIM WALK!!!!  RESPECT the ANIMAL!  This is turkey hunting not turkey blasting!
Right on the money BBCoach!

Gobble Nole

I am of the opinion that killing the turkey may be the ultimate goal...  But it is not the reason behind the hunt...  My reason is the ability to communicate with a wild animal and the overall chess game.

I would equate "body punching" a turkey to shooting one with a rifle.  In my opinion, its the same...

JohnSouth22

Quote from: Gobble Nole on April 29, 2021, 03:24:56 PM
I am of the opinion that killing the turkey may be the ultimate goal...  But it is not the reason behind the hunt...  My reason is the ability to communicate with a wild animal and the overall chess game.

I would equate "body punching" a turkey to shooting one with a rifle.  In my opinion, its the same...

Because shooting one within 20 yards is the equivalent of cracking one at 200 yards with a 308. Makes sense! When they're within 20 yards I would argue the chess game has been won. But to each their own.

GobbleNut

I believe the point to be made in this discussion should center around the consumption of the bird after it is killed.  Yes, you can kill a gobbler at ten yards by shooting it in the body.  Yes, you can kill a gobbler at 200 yards by shooting it with a rifle, and that kill is likely to be through the body with an expandable bullet that very likely causes much damage to the bird.  (I know this because I have personally seen turkeys shot through the body at long range with high-powered rifles,...what was left were two wings, two legs, and a totally inedible body)

In both cases, the likelihood that a considerable amount of the edible portion of that bird is going to be ruined is much greater than a head/neck shot with a shotgun.  Part of killing turkeys (or any game, for that matter) is understanding the ethical responsibility to make sure that animal is fit for consumption,...and is consumed,... after it is killed.  They go hand in hand.  If you hunt and don't understand that ethical responsibility, then to put it bluntly, you should not be hunting!  Period!

strum

Quote from: GobbleNut on April 30, 2021, 08:46:18 AM
I believe the point to be made in this discussion should center around the consumption of the bird after it is killed.  Yes, you can kill a gobbler at ten yards by shooting it in the body.  Yes, you can kill a gobbler at 200 yards by shooting it with a rifle, and that kill is likely to be through the body with an expandable bullet that very likely causes much damage to the bird.  (I know this because I have personally seen turkeys shot through the body at long range with high-powered rifles,...what was left were two wings, two legs, and a totally inedible body)

In both cases, the likelihood that a considerable amount of the edible portion of that bird is going to be ruined is much greater than a head/neck shot with a shotgun.  Part of killing turkeys (or any game, for that matter) is understanding the ethical responsibility to make sure that animal is fit for consumption,...and is consumed,... after it is killed.  They go hand in hand.  If you hunt and don't understand that ethical responsibility, then to put it bluntly, you should not be hunting!  Period!

This is the best reply yet!!  For me the best part of the hunt is not the kill. Really its the combined experience of watching the sun rise, hearing the woods come alive , enjoying the beauty of Gods creation. Sometimes the kill is almost disappointing as it puts a sudden end to all that. Ive shot turkeys and thought to myself " I wish I would have watched a little longer "   Then after all that .. being able to enjoy some good food with your wife, friends ,and family and tell the story just adds even more to the experience. If it was just about the kill I probly wouldn't hunt.

bbcoach

This is the best reply yet!!  For me the best part of the hunt is not the kill. Really its the combined experience of watching the sun rise, hearing the woods come alive , enjoying the beauty of Gods creation. Sometimes the kill is almost disappointing as it puts a sudden end to all that. Ive shot turkeys and thought to myself " I wish I would have watched a little longer "   Then after all that .. being able to enjoy some good food with your wife, friends ,and family and tell the story just adds even more to the experience. If it was just about the kill I probly wouldn't hunt.
[/quote]
This is the best reply yet!!  For me the best part of the hunt is not the kill. Really its the combined experience of watching the sun rise, hearing the woods come alive , enjoying the beauty of Gods creation. Sometimes the kill is almost disappointing as it puts a sudden end to all that. Ive shot turkeys and thought to myself " I wish I would have watched a little longer "   Then after all that .. being able to enjoy some good food with your wife, friends ,and family and tell the story just adds even more to the experience. If it was just about the kill I probably wouldn't hunt.
[/quote]
X2 Sturm!!!  It is TOTALLY about THE HUNT!  Every Aspect of that Hunt!  Killing, Posting PICS and Bragging Rights don't even Play into this!  Let's get out and chase these Majestic Creatures, match wits with them and if by chance you do kill a bird, it's a bonus.  As I get older, I GET IT!!!

Prospector

If this is not a joke it should be.....
In life and Turkey hunting: Give it a whirl. Everything works once and Nothing works everytime!

bigriverbum

Quote from: Gobble Nole on April 29, 2021, 03:24:56 PM

i called 3 hens in today and it was ALMOST as satisfying as if they were toms. wind was howling as our high temp today is about 25 degrees above average. 

set up in ravine and called a hen into 20 yards with a bird behind her. pretty sure it was a hen.  she saw my single jake decoy and got spooky. walked up the mountain and sat on a knob for a bit and called to no response(didn't hear a gobble all day)

walked up the ridge to a field and as i'm about 10 yards from it and in a thick mess of cedars and buckthorn i hear a hen putting and acting frantic. i drop to my knees and start cutting at her. she come back within a minute. she proceeded to come within 10 feet of me. i'm sitting there in the open and cackling and cutting at her. she wanted a fight, just didn't see her victim.

she leaves, i set up on the field edge and call for a bit. hen pops her head up 5 yards away and sits in front of me for 5 minutes while i piss her off. one of these days i bring one in with a tom

Caleb7mm

Quote from: Hobbes on April 25, 2021, 08:08:24 PM
TSS has not caused me to miss any birds up close.  I've noticed no difference within 15 yards. Lead was always extremely tight at that range also. I've seen no evidence that an intentional body shot is necessary.

To each his own but I'm in the same boat as you hobbles. The win supreme #4's I shot for the last 15 years or so pattern the same as the #9 tss at 10 yards. It's all the same in close for me. I love shooting them real close. It gets my heart pumping like crazy!

justin_wv

With this new TSS shot your grandpas 16ga single shot with a fixed full is a turkey slayer. I don't see the need for extra full chokes anymore or 3.5" magnum loads, scopes, lasers, and electronic calls OH MY!

longbeards

I have been shooting TSS for 3 or 4 years now. In a Benelli M1 with a RR .650 and this year with a M2 with a Indian Creek .555. Both produce a super tight pattern. With that said I wouldnt shoot a body shot..if at all possible. I have missed a few,,,,but killed several with dramatic results,,,,birds that had gotten inside of 20.
After one today that is in same location of a missed 10 yard shot, last year,, has same routine that the bird has last year so I hope its the one I missed! Will let you know!!