OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

2021 WV Season

Started by Dhamilton1, April 24, 2021, 06:32:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dhamilton1

For anyone who is from WV or hunted there this past opening week, how's it been? Personally, I've had a rough past two days on the WMA I hunt. Had a few hammering at first light but on the ridge on private and never could get them come down into the public, after that complete silence. Also, unfortunately scared a couple hens that were under bushes when I was walking out of two different spots. Going to try a different piece of public next weekend.

WV Flopper

Birds henned up but workable. Early in the season, it will get better. 

Is on schedule from what I see, from where I am hunting.

West Augusta

I tagged out in WV today.  But on private land.  WMA's can be tough if getting a lot of pressure.
Todays bird was different.  Gobbled a lot until I started to call.  Once I stopped calling for a half hour, he came RUNNING in.  I almost got caught. 

Gobbling has been hit or miss for the most part.  Somedays has been good and the next day quiet. 
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

HillclimberWV

Ive struggled with the same gobbler twice on public so far. I'm gonna let him sit till it greens up some more. Hes pretty safe where he is and if somebody kills him they had to earn it. Got on some private today. Its a small tract and birds roost on both sides but not on the property. Was able to call some jakes across a fence but the gobbler wouldn't  come. Believe it or not they gobbled all day long in the mist and fog today.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

RutnNStrutn

A friend of mine in WV killed his limit on consecutive days to start the season.

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

Wvdanimal

Tagged out in 3 days. Been wet and cold but still lots of activity. Still not the numbers I'd like to see like the good ol days 10yrs ago.

Chordeiles

Saturday morning, they were fired up.
I called in two jakes but the gobbler walked off with a real hen.
Yesterday morning, only heard one gobbler. He only gobbled twice and I never heard him again.

Hunting GW National Forest.

eddie234

Saturday was good, lots of gobbling. Almost got to pull the trigger but he wouldn't come from behind a dead fall. Tried to get on him after he walked off, spooked him and about ten hens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CT Spur Collector

Henned up from what I can tell.  worked two big toms till noon on opening day.....with hens. they both gobbled good. Called in three the next day at 8 am, all three converging on my position. All shut up at the same time...one perhaps was a boss tom...not sure.

Weather looks good this weekend coming....should be good.

HillclimberWV

Quote from: Wvdanimal on April 25, 2021, 09:56:48 PM
Tagged out in 3 days. Been wet and cold but still lots of activity. Still not the numbers I'd like to see like the good ol days 10yrs ago.
Was this public or private. I ask simply because i and several people i know have been talking about numbers of birds being down on some of the public tracts here around mon and preston county. im not talking about hearing gobblers as much as just lack of sign in general. However we are all seeing an overabundance of coyote sign so I'm sure those two are connected. So just curious.

Wvdanimal

Private land Hardy County.  I have a lot of ground to cover and should've heard 3 times what i did based on past years.

West Augusta

Quote from: HillclimberWV on April 26, 2021, 05:06:20 PM
Quote from: Wvdanimal on April 25, 2021, 09:56:48 PM
Was this public or private. I ask simply because i and several people i know have been talking about numbers of birds being down on some of the public tracts here around mon and preston county. im not talking about hearing gobblers as much as just lack of sign in general. However we are all seeing an overabundance of coyote sign so I'm sure those two are connected. So just curious.

It's been months since I've heard a coyote in Jackson county.  Hope the trappers are getting them.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

HillclimberWV

I walked 6.5 miles  in a big loop scouting a piece of public up here. Most of that was either paralleling small creeks or old logging roads. I can't tell you how many coyote tracks and piles of scat i came across. The whole time i only saw 3 turkey tracks. All single birds going opposite directions. Now I'm not saying the coyotes are the cause but its the most coyote sign ive seen and the least amount of turkey sign for as big of area as i covered. And it was a mix of habitat from big mature open forest to recent clear cuts and some in between.

Be happy that the trapper is keeping up in Jackson  county because thats not the case here in Mon. I do think we have a unique situation with the amount of non hunting foot traffic our public has up here i'm sure its hard to adequately trap the public without endangering peoples animals.

WV Flopper

I don't mean to burst anyone's excuse, but, we have FEW coyotes in WV compared to Mid West and Western states. Fact!

Coyotes are not the sole reason for the decline in the turkey population, not even a large percentage in WV. I do agree there are not as many turkeys, but it's more to it than coyotes.

We have plenty of turkeys, just not the glut we had 15 years ago, even in Hardy county where I live, and mostly don't hunt. Which I have access to a few thousand acres of private.

HillclimberWV

I'm not saying that coyotes are the main reason turkey populations are down. Or blaming them for why i haven't filled my tags.  I was asking because i was curious of other hunters experience on public grounds thats it.

Congratulations on your thousands of acres worth of private access.