OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best leafy suit for hot weather

Started by StruttinGobbler3, April 19, 2021, 05:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StruttinGobbler3

I've always liked the thought of a leafy suit, simply because they probably do help to blur your outline a little in areas without much cover. My issue is that in South Georgia the temperature in spring can get extremely hot, and many of these leafy jackets will make you sweat to death. Who makes the lightest and most breathable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

btomlin

I just got one from North Mountain Gear.  Can't believe I waited so long.  I've been from SS Tshirt to multiple layers under it so far this Spring.   I highly recommend.

bbcoach

This.  https://www.northmountaingear.com/collections/north-mountain-gear-leafy-suits/products/guide-series-leafy-suit-green

This suit is their breathable suit $89.  I have the non breathable one $69 and I sweat in it when walking.  I normally only wear a short sleeved t-shirt under the jacket with our normal temps from 45 to 75 degrees.  They are quality suits with zippers to the knees for easy over the boots, zippered pant pockets, and hoods.

aclawrence

You can also wear a puffy underneath it when it's cold. I wore my black Eddie Bauer puffy under my diffusion pullover on the cold mornings this spring. I can stuff the puffy back in my vest when I get too hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rakkin6

I wear a leafy suit and on warmer days I wear a pair of OD Green doctors scrubs under it. They are super lightweight and thin and don't cause me to sweat near has much.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Meleagris gallopavo

I have one of the cheap ones I found on eBay for between $15 and $20.  Very light and breathable.  Camo color is good too.

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Lika

Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on April 20, 2021, 05:21:21 AM
I have one of the cheap ones I found on eBay for between $15 and $20.  Very light and breathable.  Camo color is good too.

Definitely best option for hot weather

Chris O

I used a North mountain gear leafy jacket for the first time last weekend and I really liked it. I don't think it would be that hot it's pretty light weight with a mesh that should let air through.

goblr77

Shannon's bug tamer big leaf. I've been wearing one for years. You'll be thankful when the mosquitos are swarming as well.

Tom007

Quote from: btomlin on April 19, 2021, 05:59:32 PM
I just got one from North Mountain Gear.  Can't believe I waited so long.  I've been from SS Tshirt to multiple layers under it so far this Spring.   I highly recommend.

X2 here, great product, well made

Muzzy61

Another vote for North Mountain Gear. I use one here in Florida and it works good.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Sir-diealot

Do the North Mountain Gear ones have any kind of bug protection like the Bug Tamer suits?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

bbcoach

Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 20, 2021, 12:54:23 PM
Do the North Mountain Gear ones have any kind of bug protection like the Bug Tamer suits?
They don't advertise it as such but a quick spray of permethrin will take care of that.  I wet my every spring and no more ticks, red bugs or mosquitoes.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: bbcoach on April 20, 2021, 02:23:29 PM
They don't advertise it as such but a quick spray of permethrin will take care of that.  I wet my every spring and no more ticks, red bugs or mosquitoes.
Okay thanks, I wanted to be sure it was a part of the suits. If things go well this year and I can sit on the ground or slightly elevated I can start to get out of the blind and will buy one.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

goblr77

Nope. They don't have the inner net behind the mesh like the bug tamer and the mesh will tear much more easily. The only advantage the a North Mountain pullover has over the bug tamer is the kangaroo pouch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro