OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Looking for passionate turkey hunters in TN  (Read 1683 times)

Offline buckwheeeat

• Love thy God with all your heart, mind, and soul
Looking for passionate turkey hunters in TN
« on: April 15, 2021, 10:15:18 AM »
Good morning! Great spring season we are having! I am looking for a group of passionate turkey hunters to develop some property in Middle TN. I have been a part of some large land developments in the past 1600 acres, 12, 000 acres, 200 acres...ect... but none without a main concentration on turkey population development as the primary goal, it's always been a 3rd of 4th priority on most properties.

In essence, I am open to ideas. Have a property or club that needs a resident turkey hunters? Contact me.. Looking to create a group of turkey hunters to start an LLC to purchase local land? Contact me...

Id love to speak with some folks about seriously developing some land with turkey population development as our primary objective. This will include food sources, sanctuaries, and very limited, controlled, and throttled access to begin to develop a great property.

Offline Brockl12

Re: Looking for passionate turkey hunters in TN
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 11:52:17 AM »
I'm in east Tennessee but I'm in..

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk

Offline shatcher

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 01:12:12 PM »
We're going to have to do something in TN or we're not going to have any birds left.

Offline Turkeyman

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 05:43:18 PM »
Not to be offensive but leasing or purchasing land for turkey hunting doesn't make a lot of sense to me. So...you lease/purchase a square mile (640 acres) of excellent habitat which holds turkeys...and that's extremely difficult to do. You'd be lucky if half of that purchase or lease held a viable huntable population. That will accommodate a half dozen hunters or so. I know that in my normal day of turkey hunting I can cover far more than 100 acres if nothing's going on. That's just a start! What would the cost per hunter equate to? I don't cover as much ground as I used to but "in the day" I would walk and call for ten miles or so in a morning of searching.

Example: I hiked into a really large area of public ground in PA a few years ago. At just about gobbling time a guy came walking along. He asked me, "Where are you hunting". My response, "Wherever I hear a gobble!"

Offline ManfromGreenSwamp

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
Looking for passionate turkey hunters in TN
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 06:28:36 PM »
You’d need 5000 acres minimum. 50/50 woods/feild to start...

And

That much money again for the land management goals, equipment, etc.(performing those task in-house, FREE)

And

Upmost compliance in the trigger control department.

The ecological approach is the easiest part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“First one to the carcass gets the most”
-T.Farley

“I’m livin ta rest, I was born tired”
-B.Button

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2021, 06:42:15 PM »
I don't see this gaining much ground in my opinion. If you want to hunt a large area of land in Tennessee you have LBL.. 170,000 ac between Tenn and Ky... this is public hunting ground.. You also have Natchez Trace State Park in West Tennessee and it's around 48,000 ac.. and i'm sure middle Tenn has some public land.

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2021, 07:04:34 PM »
Applaud you OP for your drive and initiative to improve the habitat, to make more than you take.

As biologist Dr. Chamberlain noted in a recent interview, if we all did what you are proposing to do in TN, we could move the needle on declining populations. And it doesn't take big tracts to make a difference to help a local population of birds according to the research.

Lots of grant money out there to help you achieve your habitat improvement goals too. Check in with your local forestry or natural resources conservation agency for help. 

Well done, sir.

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline buckwheeeat

• Love thy God with all your heart, mind, and soul
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2021, 07:09:45 PM »
I have access to a possible 12,000 acres plus. It would be a group effort with a business plan, TN biologist interactions, and plenty of considerations...this is early stage. I know what I'm doing. I'm looking for people who are truly interested .

The land is 80% meadows, lots of water and gravel, and plenty of good hardwoods. I have worked on the acreage for years and we have turkey sitting on top of turkeys

Offline Brockl12

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2021, 11:32:14 AM »
I'd be in to help with this I know the difference in birds in the last 6 years has been massive I used to tag out now I'm lucky if I get 1!!! I'm in northeast tn

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk

Offline catman529

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Run 'n Gunner
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2021, 05:50:12 PM »
What would be the main source of income for the LLC? Land is sky high in middle TN, at least anywhere within an hour or so of the city. We have great turkey population around here, but do have pockets with few to no birds. I live in Williamson county where you gotta have deep pockets to buy even a small amount of land.

The public lands around here have some of the best habitat and hatch rates in the whole state, but hunting is tough due to the high hunting pressure, and funky property lines keep a lot of birds safe every season.

Might be good to look toward southern Lawrence, Wayne, Giles and Lincoln county. Land may be cheaper and the bird numbers are low, to the point they delayed season by 2 weeks in those counties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro