OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Star Dot?

Started by Deputy 14, April 14, 2021, 11:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deputy 14

Is this a Star Dot? Not super familiar with them, picked it up in an 835 I bought today, just curious what I had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lowoctane

:morning:
It sure appears to be. They are quite the choke for shooting lead!  :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

bbcoach

If it is, you have a choke that will shoot just about anything well.  It should measure .676.  I know for a fact, they will shoot lead, Hevi's especially 7's and Longbeards really well.  Haven't heard much on the TSS side from the guys here though.

trkehunr93

Looks like a Star Dot to me.  bbcoach is right about lead & Hevi 7's, mine loves Win HV 3.5" 5's and Hevi 3.5" 7's, never shot any longbeards thru it.  As for TSS, I shot Fed. 3" 9's thru mine and the factory ulti full actually patterned better.  Apex, Rogue, Browning TSS may shoot differently though.  Keep us posted on your patterning. 

bbcoach

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,1776.msg20927.html#msg20927

Here's something to think about, if you do have a Stardot.  This is with reloads but with factory 7's back in 2011-2012 timeframe, we were getting 300 plus in 10.  I believe some were posting some 350 numbers.  As others have said, when you get that 835 dialed in, post some pics.

Deputy 14

This was at 32 yards with a 3" Longbeard #6. I'd say at 20 it would decapitate a bird.

Deputy 14

bbcoach

Looks Good!  Check your POA/POI unless you were aiming to the right.

Deputy 14

Quote from: bbcoach on April 15, 2021, 06:01:12 PM
Looks Good!  Check your POA/POI unless you were aiming to the right.

I may or may not have flinched after touching off an old school federal 3.5  :TooFunny:

mikejd

That is a real startdot made by colonial arms. There was a time frame where stardot started being made by another manufacturer. I used to know all the info including dates and such. They where all good chokes but the one you have is the desired one.

the Ward

Quote from: mikejd on April 15, 2021, 08:41:33 PM
That is a real startdot made by colonial arms. There was a time frame where stardot started being made by another manufacturer. I used to know all the info including dates and such. They where all good chokes but the one you have is the desired one.
Yes you are correct. There was a couple big threads on the stardot chokes several years ago. I think it was you and a couple other members did some research and posted up some great info on it.

bbcoach

14, I wanted to let you know, IMO you probably have the best patterning turkey gun on the market today.  The Mossy's will shoot just about any shell well with chokes in the .670 to .676 range.  Some of the chokes that pattern well are the .676 Stardot, .670 Pure Gold, .675 Indian Creek, Sumtoy and SSX.  That Stardot will do REALLY well for you.

mikejd

Quote from: the Ward on April 16, 2021, 08:26:54 AM
Quote from: mikejd on April 15, 2021, 08:41:33 PM
Yes you are correct. There was a couple big threads on the stardot chokes several years ago. I think it was you and a couple other members did some research and posted up some great info on it.

You are correct it was me and ILIKEHEVI13.

tnanh

I have an old stardot in rem choke. Shoots lead great. Put 160 in a good even 10 inch circle the other day with Turkey Thug 3 inch 6s. It and a Remington Ventilator are great chokes. Dont understand why they quit making both.

lowoctane

Who knows about these goofy manufacturers?! I was killing birds with the 3" Turkey Thugs! Like to have a hundred or so rounds in my stash!   :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life