OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Slams are ruining our sport

Started by chow hound, April 08, 2021, 05:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chow hound

To me, it is a cool concept to hunt turkeys that behave differently in radically different environments like south FL, the Black Hills, the Appalacians and the hill country of Texas.  I really get that, but am amazed at the number of posts I read every year where the important thing seems to be bragging rights about the slam and not the experience itself.  "If I book with an outfitter and shoot a hybrid out of a cornfield that has white tail feathers and one with tan tail feathers then I just got a rio and a merriams."   I believe if someone stocked Osceola's on an island off the cost of ME and charged $400 to hunt there, people would flock there to complete their "slam" and would not care that they had no idea what it was like to truly hunt Osceolas.

To me this ends justifies means mentality just leads to super commercialization.  This is the same mentality that created high fence trophy deer operations and breeding deer with antlers so big they can barely lift their head.  To all of you pursuing a slam for the experience, best of luck.  As for me, I love hunting turkeys anywhere and everywhere, but you will never hear me talk about a slam.

stinkpickle

I'm so anti-slam that I just shoot the same turkey four times.  ;)

Hobbes

There's so much out there "ruining our sport" right now that most of you really should just quit.  I know I'd have a lot better time hunting if I didn't have to run into any of you while chasing my slam on Kodiak island while avoiding brown bear.

Meleagris gallopavo

The slam has been around a long time.  We only see the results more now because of social media.  I'm satisfied to kill birds within 30 minutes of the house because: a) I hate traveling in general; b) I don't like spending money on those types of things; and c) I still haven't figured out birds within 30 minutes of home enough to get bored with hunting them yet.  To me spring gobbler season is almost like an event I get excited about every year like a kid does with Christmas and that's enough for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

mtns2hunt

Quote from: chow hound on April 08, 2021, 05:46:09 PM
To me, it is a cool concept to hunt turkeys that behave differently in radically different environments like south FL, the Black Hills, the Appalacians and the hill country of Texas.  I really get that, but am amazed at the number of posts I read every year where the important thing seems to be bragging rights about the slam and not the experience itself.  "If I book with an outfitter and shoot a hybrid out of a cornfield that has white tail feathers and one with tan tail feathers then I just got a rio and a merriams."   I believe if someone stocked Osceola's on an island off the cost of ME and charged $400 to hunt there, people would flock there to complete their "slam" and would not care that they had no idea what it was like to truly hunt Osceolas.

To me this ends justifies means mentality just leads to super commercialization.  This is the same mentality that created high fence trophy deer operations and breeding deer with antlers so big they can barely lift their head.  To all of you pursuing a slam for the experience, best of luck.  As for me, I love hunting turkeys anywhere and everywhere, but you will never hear me talk about a slam.

The old Monk once said ""You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time." Or so said the fifteenth-century monk and poet, John Lydgate.""

While I am sure some are mostly looking for bragging rights they probably fade away quickly. Most turkey hunters put a lot of time and energy into their sport. Hunting different sub speices in strange and exotic places is only natural. I like to travel, I like different foods and generally people all the while doing something I love to do. I have traveled for deer, turkey, Mtn lion, Elk plus fishing in several countries. Its fun. But I also hunt hard in my home state and some surrounding states. It is clear on this forum that many others also enjoy all aspects of the sport. As stated earlier Social Media has a large influence and it is not all positive. I also beleive that each individual takes away something different from thir hunting experience. What right does another have to infring on their enjoyment.  :z-twocents:
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

fallhnt

The only reason I haven't ruined our sport is total lack of interest to hunt Florida.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Fieldturkey

I see the appeal but Florida doesn't interest me at all. I'll probably never complete my slam because of that.

WV Flopper

I feel dumber for reading this.

To each there own.

turkeyfool

Completely agree. If I do hunt Florida, it'll be right over the Alabama or Georgia line where I think the terrain would be neat to hunt. Could care less that it's not an Osceola. I just like traveling to different states and seeing new parts of the country. Turkey hunting gives me an excuse to do it every year

SD_smith

Negative people are ruining the sport...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wvdanimal

I totally disagree.  I think it is just a matter of 2 categories of hunters,  neither of them wrong. Prime example:  I'm so anxious for Florida every year I can barely stand it. On my place, we shoot turkeys, hogs, rabbits,  coons, possums and catch monster bass somewhere in between! Somewhere in the mix we get on the boat get hammered on a sandbar where it's just a big party. Tie that in w going to the beach weather permitting, lake Okeechobee spec fishing,  thrashing palmettos on a swamp buggy. Now THAT is the Florida experience.   Now picture my relative who jumped on a jet to Florida, outfitter took him to the ranch, killed his Osceola  then back on the flight home.  He was happy and had no desire to do anything else in Florida.   LAME!  Just difference in what you prefer. ?

bbcoach

Everybody has an opinion so here's mine.  I disagree with your assessment.  Some may use it as BRAGGING rights but you are lumping everyone that has a SLAM into that assessment.  I have my Slam but for me, it was about the total experience, the travel, hunting different states and Most Important about the fellowship of my friends and people I met and traveled with along the way.  Florida (killed a bird in shorts and t-shirt VERY MEMORABLE HUNT), Kansas and hunting Merriam's in 6 inches of snow was Fantastic.  Every aspect of these hunts had Wonderful Memories, that I will hold on to for the rest of my life.  NO BRAGGING, Just FUN! 

Gooserbat

Well it took me 28 years and over 100 turkeys to get my slam.  I'd do it again.  I'm on to trying for a US Slam... Because I enjoy the new places.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Crghss

People bragging on the internet ruins nothing.

I'll get the slam someday because I like to travel and hunt.

It's about all the things I do in addition to the hunt. Fishing, eating new foods, meeting people. Its the experience not the kill.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Yoder409

Quote from: bbcoach on April 08, 2021, 08:35:30 PM
Everybody has an opinion so here's mine.  I disagree with your assessment.  Some may use it as BRAGGING rights but you are lumping everyone that has a SLAM into that assessment.  I have my Slam but for me, it was about the total experience, the travel, hunting different states and Most Important about the fellowship of my friends and people I met and traveled with along the way.  Florida (killed a bird in shorts and t-shirt VERY MEMORABLE HUNT), Kansas and hunting Merriam's in 6 inches of snow was Fantastic.  Every aspect of these hunts had Wonderful Memories, that I will hold on to for the rest of my life.  NO BRAGGING, Just FUN!

This is much like me.

Never was a slam chaser.   I just love travelling........ hunting different birds in different terrains.   Technically, I have taken 2 Royal Slams.    Officially, I have never registered a single bird nor will I.    At this point in my turkey hunting journey, I have exact NOTHING to prove to anyone but myself.   

YMMV
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.