OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Slams are ruining our sport

Started by chow hound, April 08, 2021, 05:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: WV Flopper on April 08, 2021, 08:06:43 PM
I feel dumber for reading this.

To each there own.

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: bbcoach on April 08, 2021, 08:35:30 PM
Everybody has an opinion so here's mine.  I disagree with your assessment.  Some may use it as BRAGGING rights but you are lumping everyone that has a SLAM into that assessment.  I have my Slam but for me, it was about the total experience, the travel, hunting different states and Most Important about the fellowship of my friends and people I met and traveled with along the way.  Florida (killed a bird in shorts and t-shirt VERY MEMORABLE HUNT), Kansas and hunting Merriam's in 6 inches of snow was Fantastic.  Every aspect of these hunts had Wonderful Memories, that I will hold on to for the rest of my life.  NO BRAGGING, Just FUN!
:icon_thumright:

sswv

I was in the Hunting & Fishing business for a tick over 20 years. That experience alone taught me that there are two types of hunters. You have the "be like Mike" crowd and the hunters that just have a pure true love for the outdoors and hunting in general. Both types have that slam or record book in the back of their minds. One crowd will do whatever at any cost to get to their goal mostly for bragging rights while the other side are hunting under waaay less pressure and having a lot more fun doing it.  From a guiding standpoint the "be like Mike" crowd was always after the biggest of big at any cost and come into the hunt already under extreme personal pressure to succeed while the other crowd were more relaxed and there for a great experience and hopefully a good animal at the end of the hunt. From a business standpoint I made a lot more money from the "be like Mike" crowd but I sure had a LOT more fun with the more relaxed hunters.  Now with that all being said.....I myself was in the "be like Mike" crowd several years back and have a lot of trophy animal mounts to prove it but when it become more pressure to put a trophy down than fun, I decided all the trophies in the world wasn't worth the hassle so for the last 25-30 years I've been having fun and keeping the freezer full.  Looking back I'm actually glad I personally experienced both sides but now-a-days I'm in it for the freezer, the fun and the memories now.  I do not look down or have harsh things to say about the "be like Mike" crowd but I promise the more relaxed crowd is having more fun.

now for the rest of the story....Personally, I feel paid TV hunters have put negative pressure on young hunters to be like them and done more damage to the sport than any anti-hunting group ever could.  just my 2cents.

mtns2hunt

Quote from: sswv on April 09, 2021, 08:46:11 AM
I was in the Hunting & Fishing business for a tick over 20 years. That experience alone taught me that there are two types of hunters. You have the "be like Mike" crowd and the hunters that just have a pure true love for the outdoors and hunting in general. Both types have that slam or record book in the back of their minds. One crowd will do whatever at any cost to get to their goal mostly for bragging rights while the other side are hunting under waaay less pressure and having a lot more fun doing it.  From a guiding standpoint the "be like Mike" crowd was always after the biggest of big at any cost and come into the hunt already under extreme personal pressure to succeed while the other crowd were more relaxed and there for a great experience and hopefully a good animal at the end of the hunt. From a business standpoint I made a lot more money from the "be like Mike" crowd but I sure had a LOT more fun with the more relaxed hunters.  Now with that all being said.....I myself was in the "be like Mike" crowd several years back and have a lot of trophy animal mounts to prove it but when it become more pressure to put a trophy down than fun, I decided all the trophies in the world wasn't worth the hassle so for the last 25-30 years I've been having fun and keeping the freezer full.  Looking back I'm actually glad I personally experienced both sides but now-a-days I'm in it for the freezer, the fun and the memories now.  I do not look down or have harsh things to say about the "be like Mike" crowd but I promise the more relaxed crowd is having more fun.

now for the rest of the story....Personally, I feel paid TV hunters have put negative pressure on young hunters to be like them and done more damage to the sport than any anti-hunting group ever could.  just my 2cents.

You make some good points. Do you not feel that as a hunter matures he transitions from a "be like Mike" to the more relaxed hunter after acheiving a degree of success? It is tough for a beginning hunter to achive success when first starting out. I remember banging away at an old slate call back in the 70's with no idea what I was doing. I hunted harder with way less success than I do now. It was not untill a buddy that was extremly accomplished took my under his wing that the light came on.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

RutnNStrutn

I too would disagree. The quest for a Slam doesn't ruin the sport. It does however drive up the cost of the hard to get birds, especially Osceolas. I grew up in FLA and cut my turkey hunting teeth on mainly public land Osceolas. Over the years I've watched the price of an outfitter hunt go up to $2500 for one bird, the ability to get drawn for a decent WMA hunt dwindle, and the cost of private land leases skyrocket due to Osceola outfitters.
I've got my Slam and this year I'm going on a Goulds hunt in Mexico for a Royal Slam. I have absolutely zero interest in an occelated.
I love traveling to hunt turkeys. I've killed birds in 9 of the 12 states that I've hunted so far. This year I'm adding Texas and Mexico. Next year I'm adding Tennessee, SD and Wyoming.
I hope to kill a gobbler in all of the lower 48 states and Mexico before I die. I love traveling and I love hunting gobblers. If I happen to get several Slams along the way, even better. But that's not why I do it. I do it because I love turkey hunting.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: sswv on April 09, 2021, 08:46:11 AM
Personally, I feel paid TV hunters have put negative pressure on young hunters to be like them and done more damage to the sport than any anti-hunting group ever could.  just my 2cents.

:icon_thumright:

eggshell

For some of the "be like Mike" crowd they are after validation. I have known several and for most their outward displays are cover for a sense of low self esteem and it's actually validation to get recognition. If they pursue turkey hunting with the attitude they always have  to show they are on top, then most likely that is how they are in other of life's pursuits. This can elevate a man's success or hurt it. I find the most successful are the relaxed and comfortable, but the truly successful (the be mike crowd and the relaxed crowd alike)  have one thing in common, they are willing to work hard to obtain their goals. I respect anyone who will put in the work, what he does with the success or lack of is a character issue that extends beyond turkey hunting. In Hillbilly language, An a$sshole is always an As$hole, period.

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on April 09, 2021, 06:28:12 AM
What kind of slam is it if you kill a bird in every county of your home state?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I dont know but I'm trying to do that here in Miss. I probably will never achieve the goal but it will be fun trying.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on April 08, 2021, 06:24:03 PM
The slam has been around a long time.  We only see the results more now because of social media.  I'm satisfied to kill birds within 30 minutes of the house because: a) I hate traveling in general; b) I don't like spending money on those types of things; and c) I still haven't figured out birds within 30 minutes of home enough to get bored with hunting them yet.  To me spring gobbler season is almost like an event I get excited about every year like a kid does with Christmas and that's enough for me.

To quote Will Ferrell in Step Brothers:  "Dis we just become best friends"?! 
This-THIS is the best response I've read on hear in a looking time.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

tha bugman

Shot my slam years ago.  Only did it once and that's all I ever want to do.  To each his own.

guesswho

I've hunted them over 50 years and have zero slams.   Nothing against them at all, it's just never been on my bucket list.   If and when I ever kill a Rio I guess I can say I did it.   But more than likely I won't say it and will just start looking for the next turkey wherever I get the chance.   Starting a conversation with me by telling me how many slams you have or how many turkeys you've killed or seen die is about the least impressive thing you can tell me.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

turkeyfool

Considering Mississippi is the worst state I've hunted yet (and I would think has to be in the top 5 as far as difficulty) I'd be WAY more impressed by someone who could fill a tag in every county. I can't even shoot one here in back to back years

Yoder409

Quote from: guesswho on April 09, 2021, 07:00:00 PMStarting a conversation with me by telling me how many slams you have or how many turkeys you've killed or seen die is about the least impressive thing you can tell me.

Haha !!!!  Same here.  I call em "turkey counters".  They walk up and start a conversation by telling you the number of turkeys they've killed then ask how many you've killed.    :TooFunny:

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

mtns2hunt

Quote from: guesswho on April 09, 2021, 07:00:00 PM
I've hunted them over 50 years and have zero slams.   Nothing against them at all, it's just never been on my bucket list.   If and when I ever kill a Rio I guess I can say I did it.   But more than likely I won't say it and will just start looking for the next turkey wherever I get the chance.   Starting a conversation with me by telling me how many slams you have or how many turkeys you've killed or seen die is about the least impressive thing you can tell me.

Slam or no slam hunting Rio's is a real blast. Highly recommend!
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.