OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How do you eat your Turkey

Started by mtns2hunt, March 30, 2021, 10:15:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmart241

Turkeyman

I've got a couple favorite ways. Sliced turkey breast w/barbecue sauce on the grill is great. Otherwise, breast or dark meat, crock potted is great and the only way I've found to tenderize it. Note: if your crock pot doesn't get hot enough to simmer throw it in the garbage and get one that will...otherwise it will never tenderize. Additional note: for those 5 or 6 month old fall birds it's sinful to cook them any other way than roasting them in the oven with one of those brown-in bags.

notsure

LRD

Cut into decent sized strips and marinate overnight in Italian dressing. Cut jalapeƱos in strips and get rid of the seeds. Place a couple of jalapeƱo strips on the turkey and wrap in bacon and then grill. We had it for supper tonight from my son's juvenile kill.  Its my favorite meal.

falltoms

Fried strips, turkey casserole, turkey tacos, turkey and dumplings. The legs and thighs are ground up and used for chilli and turkey meatballs

3bailey3

i like it fried with pickles and jalapenos

zsully

Quote from: Sungrazer on March 31, 2021, 03:19:18 AM
Really hoping I can make wild Turkey enchilada casserole this year. Got the recipe from a Hunting Public video from two years ago. Had to cook the legs and thighs for 18 hours in the crock pot to get it to fall off the bone- but man it was worth it!

I've been making this for the past two years and it's amazing! I actually have 2 casseroles prepped and in my freezer right now. They work great for taking to camp or when my wife and I don't feel like cooking. I also make an wild turkey breakfast sausage from a recipe in the Meateater cookbook. It's fantastic (once you cut the salt). I'm looking to try a couple new ideas this year. I found a soup that calls for pheasant but I figure I'll just substitute the pheasant for turkey and I really need to get on board with these turkey pot pies people have been talking about.

RED NECK

Wild turkey poppers,Superbowl Sunday and opening day turkey eve are two nights that are reserved for these and maybe a few other days throughout the year. The poppers have become my favorite wild game snack,easy to make,easy to eat,easy to clean up after and you can do them with so many little recipes.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

g8rvet

I don't fry much fish anymore.  have other recipes that are better for ya and taste better too. Fried turkey nuggets is still my favorite way.  Have grilled and done the pot pie thing, but fried nuggets is my daughter's favorite meal, so I usually fry them.  Dunked in pancake batter, wet with lots of pepper and a bit of salt, rolled in lightly crushed corn flakes and fried to golden tender.  I have some wings, legs and thighs I have and am gonna get my wife to make her pot pie (pheasant pot pie is awesome too)crock pot for that.

I like the idea of cold smoking too. I may have to try that. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Willie 870

Breast them out cut the silver clear skin off. chunk them up soak them in dales mardine and put on kabobs and grill. its very good

J-Shaped

Fried breast strips are the family favorite
Smoked poppers
Smoked whole bird
Smoked breast halves
Brining is your friend with all of the above

Also mix with applewood bacon ends and make burgers
Breakfast sausage
Carnitas using Hank Shaw's venison barbacoa recipe, but using the legs and thighs instead of venison -recipe here https://honest-food.net/barbacoa-recipe-venison/

The possibilities are endless if you treat it right. I cringe when I hear people say they don't like the taste of wild turkey, and hate to see people only use the breast meat.

MK M GOBL

I do them a number of ways but this has to be top of the list!

Like eating TURKEY CANDY!!

MK M GOBL

eggshell

Most of ours go into casseroles or pot pies. Sometimes noodles. Wife cooks them in an quick pressure cooker then shreds into a casserole with dressing, veggies, cream of chicken soup and seasonings. Pretty darn good.

mtns2hunt

Quote from: MK M GOBL on April 01, 2021, 12:41:50 AM
I do them a number of ways but this has to be top of the list!

Like eating TURKEY CANDY!!

MK M GOBL

Now, that looks good! Plenty of ideas on here which is what I needed (besides the turkey of course).
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

RED NECK

Here are the turkey poppers I made for the Superbowl,3 weeks and 2 days I will be enjoying another batch on the eve of opening day.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........