OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Model 870 shoots right  (Read 3295 times)

Offline adeichold

Model 870 shoots right
« on: March 30, 2021, 08:55:33 AM »
My model 870 shoots significantly to the right. Probably 7-10 inches at 25 yards. I bought Truglo adjustable gobble dot sights, but they do not have enough windage to correct completely. It is close, but not quite there. Has anyone experienced this before? Is there a fix available? I could just buy a red dot, but wanted to discuss first. Thanks

Offline USMC0331

• Longbeard
Re: Model 870 shoots right
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 09:13:32 AM »
Have a few 870s but have not had that problem. Make sure barrel is all the way in place, magazine tube cap is on snug and that your choke tube is fully seated. If that does not help see if there is another adjustable rear sight that has more windage capability.  If that doesn't work you may have to pit a red dot on it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline Rapscallion Vermilion

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 10:01:59 AM »
If you haven’t already done so, try a different choke.  It is possible the barrel is bent, or if it has screw in chokes it has been threaded cockeyed, or the choke is not bored straight. If the barrel is bent enough to throw the shot off that much, it should be visible by pulling the barrel and looking through to see if everything is concentric, with and without the choke in.  Barrels can be bent by a gunsmith with the right tools. 

If the Truglo sight is getting you close, the effective windage adjustment you get is increased by moving the rear sight closer to the muzzle.

Offline adeichold

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 11:48:10 AM »
Very good point of moving the rear sight forward. I did not think of that. I changed to the current barrel about 10 years ago, but if i recall correctly, the original barrel that came with the gun also shot right. I’m wondering if somehow the issue is with how the barrel sits in the action. Not sure that makes sense considering the sights are on the barrel itself though.

Regardless, I think I’m just going to put a red dot on it and call it quits.

Offline Rapscallion Vermilion

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2021, 11:52:38 AM »
That's the best solution.

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2021, 08:54:40 AM »
Very good point of moving the rear sight forward. I did not think of that. I changed to the current barrel about 10 years ago, but if i recall correctly, the original barrel that came with the gun also shot right. I’m wondering if somehow the issue is with how the barrel sits in the action. Not sure that makes sense considering the sights are on the barrel itself though.

They solve POA/POI issues for sure. I`d never used an optic for anything until a few seasons back. Now I`d personally be uncomfortable hunting turkey without one.

Offline buck_hunter21

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2021, 09:18:55 AM »
I bought my 870 brand new over 10 years ago and had this issue from day one. It did not matter what choke ammo combo I used, POI was always off to the right.

Solution: red dot.
Spill Blood

Offline afhunter1

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2021, 11:14:38 PM »
Shoot it without a choke tube.  If it shoots straight probably choke thread job is bad.

Offline lowoctane

• Longbeard
  • “When I die, then I’ll be old.”
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2021, 08:23:14 AM »
Shoot it without a choke tube.  If it shoots straight probably choke thread job is bad.

X2!
I’m Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Online Ihuntoldschool

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2021, 01:53:50 AM »
You'll ruin your barrel listening to some of these guys on here.  Do not ever under any circumstances shoot it without a choke tube in place.  You will damage your threads easily.

Offline captpete

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2021, 07:34:54 AM »
You'll ruin your barrel listening to some of these guys on here.  Do not ever under any circumstances shoot it without a choke tube in place.  You will damage your threads easily.

That is exactly what I thought also.

Online g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2021, 02:25:16 PM »
I had a Benelli Nova that did this.  I tried every potential fix and it was way off. I got rid of the gun. 

Make sure that front end cap is good and tight. Different choke.  If still off, red dot or sell it and get a different gun.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2021, 02:38:58 PM »
Just a thought, but are you adjusting the rear sight in the proper direction? I did that once, and couldn't figure out why it was shooting more and more off no matter how far i moved it. Then it dawned on me what i was doing. It happens!

Offline afhunter1

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2021, 08:42:39 PM »

“Shooting the threads” is a very common practice in clays games.  100% safe and if you see my name post something you can be sure it’s fact.  I don’t post if I don’t know.

Which Gun

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2021, 09:10:31 PM »
Yelp I’ve seen it done shooting skeet. Did not hurt the threads.