turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Cutting a Browning BPS 10 barrel?

Started by Ridge Rooster, April 21, 2021, 06:33:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ridge Rooster

Bought a BPS 10GA recently with 26" barrel. Got gun so cheap I couldn't turn it down. I bought it to turn it into, my idea, of a turkey gun. I had planned to buy or trade for a 24" barrel but as I have found they are near non-existent. So I figured getting it cut would be the answer. After researching it appears that if I cut my barrel down to the next legal post, and right were I would want it, it may be to thin to thread back to Invector Choke System? Curious if anyone has had their barrel's cut down and what route they went? I understand that they can thread it back to Tru-Choke system but I just bought a new Indian Creek tube for gun and it patterns amazing so I would rather keep the Invector threads. Does anyone know if Indian Creek does Tru_choke 10GA??

Thanks
Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

lowoctane

:morning:
I'd call them and find out. I know William @ Sumtoy can do most anything that you can dream up!  :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Ridge Rooster

Talked to Sumtoy, Rob Roberts, and Comp N Choke, they all say that Tru-Choke threads are all that can be installed with a shortened BPS barrel because of thickness. They all make chokes that have that thread pattern but I dislike the fact that I would not be able to use the Indian Creek I just bought because of the patterns it produces. I will call Indian Creek and see if they offer one? I still think that I want to chop barrel because with the Indian Creek it measures at least 28" and feels to long for my liking in a turkey gun.

Ridge Rooster

Ridge Rooster

Anybody had any experience with a barrel that has Tru-Choke? or advice??

Ridge Rooster

Snoodsniper

Must be a something with the 10 gauge then. As we discussed...Rob Roberts shortened my 12 gauge BPS without issue and it still uses the original invector plus chokes.

On another note I see that 24" barrel on eBay has dropped in price some but still crazy high IMO.

Honestly I don't see enough difference between the 24 and 26 to be chasing after one. I'm actually switching back to the 26" on my main gun because I'm sick of the short barrel ringing my ears.

Ridge Rooster

That barrel on ebay sold for 475.00. I can get my barrel cut for 125 but nobody will do Invector. Rob Roberts did not even have a tap for 10GA so they couldn't do the shortening and threading. Colonial arms charges 170 and Comp N Choke does it 125. Sumtoy does not have tooling so recommended Colonial.

Ridge Rooster

the Ward

I would probably just use the setup you have now and keep an eye out for a 24" factory barrel. One will turn up eventually at a good price. Like the dummy i am, i passed on a bps 10 stalker with a 24" barrel a couple years ago that i could have bought for $300. It was a little beat up, but i could have had a whole gun for what i just paid for my extra barrel, and just swapped barrels with mine. Nothing wrong with having one shortened of course, and you could have it even shorter than the 24", which would be real nice for a dedicated turkey gun. Love to have one cut down to 20-22", with rib removed and remington style sights soldered on. I think it would make a great turkey setup.

Ridge Rooster

Mailed it out yesterday to Comp N Choke. They charge $100 and threading for Tru Choke. They offer a XXX Full Extended Turkey choke that I am gonna try. Colonial Arms offers down to .715 constriction on their extended turkey chokes and they are only about $40 dollars so I may try one of them also if the CnC doesn't pattern good. Barrel is being cut to 21.5 or there abouts so should be handy. Sent action to Rob Roberts for trigger job and Drill/Tap for Sumtoy FF3 base. When all is done going to Mr. Ethridge at Ethridge Hydrographics for a dip job. I like having project guns going. Hope it shoots nearly as well as it did with the 26" and the Indian Creek.

Ridge Rooster

the Ward

That is going to be an awesome gun when you get it done! Sometimes it is better to build than buy, as you can get exactly what you want without compromise. That is a good price for the barrel work. Hope you can post up pictures when you get it done.

Ridge Rooster

If I could figure out how to post a picture I will.

Ridge Rooster